Project Z Week 2 : Disappointments and Enjoyments

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
your sillycar (celica) is newer than mine! hahaha, but at least u keeping it in shape la, hehe

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
dont have any money man, lol. ive just asked about the rb30, it costs about rm1600 with custom forms, haha, should we start a donation box now?

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
well the current engine would incur about rm800 worth of rrepair, thats 1/3 of the cost of a rb25det half cut, so better off get a new half cut? considering if theres a confirmation, the candidate sponsor will help transplant for free.

maybe i should create a pool for u guys to chip in some money to get this going. just a suggestion. let's make this the best thing ever happened to malaysia. speedhunters worthy article!
I wouldn't spend money on a half-cut - you won't know what you're going to get. Whenever possible, whichever option, break it down and overhaul it. Port and polish everything inside out, inspect everything inside-out and re-assemble it with care. THEN you will know with confidence that it's going to work.

A little change here and there goes a long way. But do decide what you want to do first. I'm still not clear about the end result you are shooting for - it's a "project car" but what kind? Show car? Drift/circuit car? Got a power target?

Ratbit

Known Member
Feb 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
..if u want to build a legendary "devil-z" 2nd gen.
you need to install a L28 (L2800) engine, bored and stroked to 3.1 L and fitted with twin turbos.:driver:

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
I wouldn't spend money on a half-cut - you won't know what you're going to get. Whenever possible, whichever option, break it down and overhaul it. Port and polish everything inside out, inspect everything inside-out and re-assemble it with care. THEN you will know with confidence that it's going to work.

A little change here and there goes a long way. But do decide what you want to do first. I'm still not clear about the end result you are shooting for - it's a "project car" but what kind? Show car? Drift/circuit car? Got a power target?
well, the half cut needs to be taken out and disassembled, thats for sure. I'm sure the regular RB30 N/A is much to shout. I'm sure the pairing of a twin cam RB25 to a RB30 would produce results, so when you are actually taking it out and meshing both, you'd see the problems ten.

Anyways, here's the wanted end result. It's mainly a circuit car, with a least some looks to it. Won't be a top end Autosalon car, but wouldn't mind it, if someone's sponsoring. Power target? RB25's go easily to the 400hp range, so were aiming at that.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

..if u want to build a legendary "devil-z" 2nd gen.
you need to install a L28 (L2800) engine, bored and stroked to 3.1 L and fitted with twin turbos.:driver:
did u watched the whole wangan midnight series? the z31 was akio's first car, then he swapped to the l31 powered 240z. his opponent, harada, has a white z31 with a vg30det engine. the vg engine is a very very good engine, just spare parts are scarce here in malaysia compared to usa. it can definitely hit 300+kmh, no problems!

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

on the side note, jusco j-card day, cant resist to buy this :D

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J

I think Kev is going to open the engine up and overhaul it when he gets the '30 block lar. Since when is Kev halfassed?

And dude didnt you read the first thread? Aim: Supercar killer with decent looks.

However there are budgets, you wanna overhaul the engine for us? And sponsor the port & polishing so we all can have confidence its gonna work? :biggrin:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well thanks for having the confidence in me , LWW, i am just not confident with the sponsors, lol. will they ever sponsor, god knows! so lets hope and pray, else maybe i have to ask u guys out for tt and i have to give a nice speech about an rb30 donation box, seriously!

H22-C

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2007
what engine is the original engine ?
2.0 L VG20ET V6 or 2.0 L RB20DET I6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_300ZX#Z31

if it is RB20DET, save the original engine is always an option to consider, the sentimental value is always there. the "sentimental value" is very strong if you know what i am talking about.

also, i think RB20 part easy available.

if it is original 2.0 L VG20ET V6, i suggest to find an original halfcut RB20DET to fit in. then upgrade from there.

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
what engine is the original engine ?
2.0 L VG20ET V6 or 2.0 L RB20DET I6

Nissan 300ZX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if it is RB20DET, save the original engine is always an option to consider, the sentimental value is always there. the "sentimental value" is very strong if you know what i am talking about.
so how much do RB20DET can push out on stock internal?

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
as i mentioned before, its a red top rb20det, only putting out 160hp, compared to silver top, capable of 210hp, so its not the best of engine. engine seals are broken, so engine oil is leaking. so im taking the oppurtunity to at least get a new rb25det on it? just saying

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
There's a reason why there arent a lot of modded RB20's out there, they're fragile. Even with modded internals 400hp? Its small lah. Theres so replacement for displacement.

Plus guys, whatsup with the sentimental stuff wei? We building a car to go fast or to have sentimental value? Sheeeesh.

RB30 FTW. :driver:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
it actually depends on what final drive is used on the car. original z31 300zx has 3.54 final drive ratio due to the slightly higher torque. original z31 200zr came with 4.3 ratio to make up for the lack of torque.

i have tried using rb25 with 3.54, not enough "punch". i would recommend 4.3 ratio for the "aggressive" feel but its gonna hurt a bit in terms of Vmax hehe

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Kevin, sorry I'm missing the point of it all. The donations are for the car's build and then once it's completed what happens to the car? Is it going to be auctioned off for charity or something? No offence, I'm just not up to speed with ZTH latest news.

There's a reason why there arent a lot of modded RB20's out there, they're fragile.
RB20s fragile? I don't think so. Probably a lot easier to blow an RB25 than an RB20. Only reason people don't really mod them is because like you said, no replacement for displacement and the fact that there are more parts readily available for the RB25 and RB26. But RB20s will take all the abuse you can throw at it.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
[PIMPIN];1063551156 said:
Kevin, sorry I'm missing the point of it all. The donations are for the car's build and then once it's completed what happens to the car? Is it going to be auctioned off for charity or something? No offence, I'm just not up to speed with ZTH latest news.

RB20s fragile? I don't think so. Probably a lot easier to blow an RB25 than an RB20. Only reason people don't really mod them is because like you said, no replacement for displacement and the fact that there are more parts readily available for the RB25 and RB26. But RB20s will take all the abuse you can throw at it.
Basically, it will be used in R&D. The donations are pretty much voluntary. If you see any spare part lying around and taking up your garage space, you could always feel free to donate. The car would be used in all ZTH related events, especially the upcoming TimeToAttack. It will be tweaked and tuned to achieve better lap times. Car will be used in all forms of charity, including proposed driving around unfortunate children around certain Racing Circuits in Malaysia.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Looks nice (lol can't believe saying that about a China car by Proton). Either buy Executive trim or Flagship. The rest doesn't make sense. Executive has all the safety - more airbags than Standard. And Flagship has all the trickle down Volvo safety tech.

I think Flagship is the Best Buy for RM100k budget in Malaysia at the moment. Easily kill off HR-V, CX-30, CH-R etc. Unless the space in HR-V matters that much. I would love to try driving the Flagship in traffic jam on federal highway and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience