• Honda CR-Z

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Hybrids for me, ever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The green brigade's voice has gotten louder following the launch of the Lexus CT200h in Malaysia, the world's first full hybrid luxury compact, and it will cost under RM200k even for the highest spec model.<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

The CT200h is a five door hatchback that maintains the stringent standards of Lexus while doing its bit to keep the environment clean. Motivation comes from the same powertrain found in its sibling, the Toyota Prius, the 1.8-liter Atkinson cycle petrol engine mated to an electric motor and transfers power to the front wheels via CVT transmission that works to keep the engine in its optimal state.

On its own, the petrol engine churns out 98hp and combined with the electric motor it produces a total of 134hp and 207Nm of torque. Manufacture figures rate the fuel consumption at a very impressive 33km for every liter of fuel consumed.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the CT200h is a reskinned Prius though as it shares more of its architecture with the HS hybrid sedan. A total of four driving modes are available for the driver to choose from with them being Eco, EV, Normal and Sport.

Eco mode readjusts all the powertrain's parameters for the most fuel efficient operation while EV mode keeps it running purely on the battery's power for speeds up to 45km/h. The maximum distance that the EV mode can sustain the car's movement is 2km, with the battery's charge permitting.

Normal mode is just as the name suggest while Sport mode tightens up the handling and increases the output as well. The throttle and electric power steering settings are made more responsive while the stability control and traction control allow for more leeway before kicking in.

The difference between the Luxury and standard model is mostly cosmetic save for the use of performance dampers in the Luxury model. Things like the navigation system, Bluetooth functionality and reverse camera are absent from the standard model, which is understandable but Lexus has also omitted powered front seats for the base model.

Safety hasn't been compromised as well with a total of eight airbags for the cabin and ABS, BA, VSC, TRC and EBD all coming as standard.

One of the major differences between the CT200h and the Prius would be the rear suspension setup. While the Prius utilises a torsion beam setup to free up more space in the cabin, the CT200h gets a double wishbone layout that does cut into the rear storage space. Nonetheless, nobody would be complaining about a little less space as the cargo holding area is huge at 375-liters and just under 1,000 liters with the rear seats folded away.

The base model CT200h goes for RM 168,000 (OTR wo/insurance) while the Luxury spec will set you back almost RM30k more at RM196,500 (OTR wo/insurance). Just in case you were curious, the CT200h would cost almost twice the price if the government didn't abolish the import duty for hybrid cars this year.

Lexus are confident of meeting their targeted sales of 800 units for the year and have already gotten over 200 bookings so far. Based on the bookings made thus far, the buyers are split evenly between the two variations. If you put in your order now, you can expect the Lexus to be parked in your driveway sometime in June, as production for the Malaysian models are just beginning in Japan.

Attachments

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
i think if evo x can hv a plug-in hybrid(i dun care how much L/100km, as long as gt batt+electric motor-hybrid), we can get a cheaper evo.

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
change my mind to buy toyota camry,lucky yet pay deposit for book camry.consider this LEXUS better,more class....than toyota!as long as get L tag on front grill.hehehe...! good buy up! :party:

teo1957

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Went to Lexus Mutiara Damansara last 2 weeks, found out that there's only one car at the showroom and it's not a CT200h.

Then a fine looking lady salesperson told me that the CT200h is upstairs. Went up and there were 7-8 units of CT200h, all of different colours. Very good looking car this one, interior is... Lexus-like. Very nice design, front, sides, back. Missus already like the car. I like oso.

Then come to think of it, now I have 2xx++hp car, later uncle speed. Aiyah. Battery got warranty, after warranty then how? How much to replace? Then somebody reminded me of the Top Gear Prius vs. M3 test. Prius all out, M3 easy on the pedal oso can chase, summore more fuel efficient. M3 uses less fuel for the same speed, and no big battery. Very hard to justify a hybrid in Malaysia, maybe when a lot of people buy, support structure in place, prices go down, it'll be worth it.

pumpkin76

Known Member
Jun 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
change my mind to buy toyota camry,lucky yet pay deposit for book camry.consider this LEXUS better,more class....than toyota!as long as get L tag on front grill.hehehe...! good buy up! :party:
maybe this lexus model comes with free fire extinguisher inside like those JDM models... LOL...

Phantom_Scarab

Nov 15, 2003
KLIA
Yup scary if kena major recall....btw does anybody know the price of the battery replacement?

same price prius ?

blakmagik

May 4, 2006
Better buy it while the incentive for hybrid cars are still around. . . . . probably no more incentive for CBU nby next year !

plank

Known Member
Jun 10, 2009
IPOH- SETIAWAN
From Lexus UK - CT 200h SE-L Premier £30,635.00 = RM151760.35
Lexus Malaysia = RM195,820.80
RM44k diff price,,,
I hope gov decrease tax laaaaaaaaa,,,,,,,,,,, gov petrol subsidy can decrease because FC this car not much,,,,

neokenzo

Known Member
Oct 5, 2006
PJ
The SA told me that the Lexus's battery will cost RM13k TODAY. Hopefully as time goes by, it will be cheaper. I was there during the media release and they informed to the media that thay have not had a single battery problem/replacement over the 10 years the Prius has been around.

achelone

Known Member
Jun 3, 2009
environmental conscious is not my cup of tea.....i inhale carbon monoxide for breakfast and FTW!!! :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Missing as of today morning (7/20/2005)

Guys, please keep on a lookout for my brother's car. Silver Kembara, WLL 9269. With red Liverpool sticker at the back, bearing the words "Support Liverpool, Eat Football, Sleep Football, Hate Man U" and zerotohundred.com sticker on the back also.

Call me at Maxis 2055574 or my brother at Maxis 3933534

Thanks!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience