what is the BEST BOOST CONTROLLER ?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Currently I'm not running any BC but previously tempted to get one from WORKS but after that consider TS as I've having Boost Spikes during full throttle. I'm just thinking with a BC will it help eliminate boost spike? My current boost is 1 bar. I'm not looking for EBC because it exceeds my needs since I'm just looking to increase the boost a little.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
nope, no BOV....

I just read from TS website that excessive/fluctuating boost can also be caused by T joint to boost gauge.

(Ensure that there is nothing but the boost controller in the hose between the pressure source and the wastegate actuator, ie tee pieces for boost gauge or to factory boost solenoid.)

Then where is the best place to pick to tap the boost gauge hose? this is also I wanted to know. My current boost is taken from the hoses connected between the actuator but some said it's not accurate. I'm using a Blitz DC2

wolverine77

Known Member
Jun 25, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
My experience, if you are encountering very bad boost spike or boost creep, it is not enuff just to control it with an EBC. I tried before using my HKS EVC 6 and it does not work. The creep started after I replace my 2.25" turbo-back exhaust to 3". Finally the cure is a Tial 38mm.

Cheers.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Pomen, thanks for the nice read up...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Just DIY installed & tune my profec-b spec 2 recently. B4 diz i used a MBC from Wors Eng. bleed type. I don't know how the works compared to boost-tee.. BUT
Using EBC namely profec-b, i wouldn't even think bout using a bleed type/mbc anymo

The boost characteristics of my setup is transformed obviously, for the better. My tial open up sooner @ low boost and holds the boost constantl n consistently till redline. And it wouldn't spike climbing to the set boost compared to my previous Works MBC.

2 channels/boost setting for me is more than enuf for both the average street user & the drag/strip racers. But if u still prefer gear based boost setup.. the fancy MAP sensor dat the avcr/evc uses.. and dont mind paying someone to tune on top of installation. So go ahead wit other than profec-b.

Just my Honest opinion.. :hmmmm:
when ur tial/ts/other brand wastegate opens sooner, it means that the exhaust is channelled out from the turbine before the the pressure reaches the spring rate of the wastegate. Means u're loosing boost.

bro u might want to retune ur boost gain, if ur tial open sooner means boost response slower :)
we want the wastegate to open until the last minute of the preset boost and to hold the boost constant all the way to redline,that's why we use the electronic boost controller :), if want to open wastegate sooner then use the manual boost tee pun dh cukup..
Maybe wrong terminology brudder. Maybe he's trying to say boost comes sooner than before.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Any other good MBC to recommend?

2nd thing, I saw some TC cars owner would install a wastegate to the exhaust manifold even they are running stock boost. is it consider necessary?? plus I some shop people that install wastegate is really not thinking....as for a wategate to perform precisely the positioning & angle of the wategate placement is important. I see most the just drill a hole on top of the exhaust manifold and weld a piece of pipe and connect the wastegate....It looks really shabby and the flow is not precise also as the wastegate is sitting almost 90 degrees on top of the exhaust manifold. I read from TS site that is better to position the wastegate 45 degrees with the exhaust gas flow path...etc.

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur

2nd thing, I saw some TC cars owner would install a wastegate to the exhaust manifold even they are running stock boost. is it consider necessary?? plus I some shop people that install wastegate is really not thinking....as for a wategate to perform precisely the positioning & angle of the wategate placement is important. I see most the just drill a hole on top of the exhaust manifold and weld a piece of pipe and connect the wastegate....It looks really shabby and the flow is not precise also as the wastegate is sitting almost 90 degrees on top of the exhaust manifold. I read from TS site that is better to position the wastegate 45 degrees with the exhaust gas flow path...etc.

i guess its the best practise to use it 45 degrees , bt in some circumstances , we just cant customize that , some example below similar to 10-11second mitsu's

bt to think again, actuators are also at 90 degress exit actually :)

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006

u're right on the reading. Best position is stock position. Y from the exhaust manifold to turbo n wastegate. However it's not easy to achieve.

Malaysian style mod, ppl like to show what they have in the engine bay. Yeng!!! So the put it on top. If u look at HKS cast iron manifold, they have the wastegate under the manifold instead.

Most of the turbo with internal wastegate will have a hole to the flap in the turbine housing. U can remove the flap and bore up the hole to the wastegate size. On the flangenof the customize downpipe, separate the turbine outlet and wastegate hole, then u can direct the hole to the wastegate.

Just some addition information from my experience. With the help of SDF and Jinkl, under normal circumstances, the boost source is connected to the bottom port, however... If u can't achieve the rated boost of te spring, and u can't go higher even a boost controller is added. It means ur manifold pressure is higher than ur boost which pushes the gate to open before the rated boost achieve. What u can do is, T the boost source, one to bottom port and one to top port. Get the boost controller installed on the hose to the top port.

By doing this, the boost controller will react opposite. Opening the valve means reduce boost. And vice versa. Theory is, instead of reducing the pressure to mechanically cheat the spring of the wastegate, u are pushing the gate from opening from the top. The more pressure u apply, the higher boost u'll achive. Will post somedrawing if I have time.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks a lot bros for the info...just another question. From what I read in TS site...the hose that we are going to put the boost controller T. There should not be any other T joint for a boost gauge so that the boost controller is giving the correct boost. My question is, is there any other place to T a joint for the boost gauge? My current setup is I T-ed it no the house from the intake source (compressor housing) to the actuator.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
The route is kinda short. U can actually tap it after the intercooler. Cause air will contract after the intercooler. Due to the temperature reduction on the intercooler. In other words, the pressure u read at the manifold will somewhat differs fromthe actual boost. But difference might not be huge.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
in my opinion, the turbosmart duals arent good boost controller IF you need to fight Back Pressure build

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

:lol: jz 1 2noe how U ppl avoif from police U got ur car tinted especially when ur car tinted very dark 1! & police suddenly come??? :) HUH! HOW??? gif suggestions o opinions! THANX! :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience