Turbo for carb. engine and workshop

hanadin

Oct 5, 2005
Hi Guys....

Just need to know how does a Turbo work on carb. engine is it same as on EFI engine.....any workshop rekomended to do custom Turbo....in which case i buy the part the provide the expertise.Tq

rajie

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2005
pantai hillpark
i know the old galant is cab turbo :) :)
what engine are u using bro ???
i know alot of cab engine always for webers some use twin webers very powerfull also can fight with turbo with right setting but petrol makan damn alot

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
i just did some research regarding turbo setup on carburetor engine.
basically it is divided into 2 types, either suck or blow.
For suck/draw through setup, turbo suck air from the carburetor. (carb->turbo->intake)
For blow through setup, turbo blow air through carburetor. (turbo->carb->intake)

don't dare to comment much since i believe there are lot more ppl know much than i do.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
i just did some research regarding turbo setup on carburetor engine.
basically it is divided into 2 types, either suck or blow.
For suck/draw through setup, turbo suck air from the carburetor. (carb->turbo->intake)
For blow through setup, turbo blow air through carburetor. (turbo->carb->intake)

don't dare to comment much since i believe there are lot more ppl know much than i do.
i would agree on that , good post
if i were to make a carb turbo, i would obviously choose carb->turbo->intake
but there are some drawbacks too,
first things first , this method is the easier way because you can use any big carb to make this setup , the blow through setup requires you to have a Turbo Capability Carb which detects boost and supplies more fuel. The Suck/Draw setup sucks air + fuel , the more air , the more fuel its gonna bring in , but the drawback is that you gonna suck fuel + air into the turbo which might not be that good for the turbo's seals and compressor wheel.

hanadin

Oct 5, 2005
Ic....i know there are Mira engine which is non EFi Turbo but rarely see them...i wonder if you guy have any picture or diagram for this kind of turbo.

3rd GearPerformance House

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2008
I already done before since 2004 with a fiat 1.8L carby turbo.with std carby and stock ignition u have a trouble when boost come in.Carby jet is not enough to flow the fuel.What we do we remain the carby and add the MT4 fuel controller.we fine with fueling and retard timing with MSD boost ignition controler.Low budget but good whp.SUCK or FLOW it is not big deal.Huge....

Bump: Base turbo u can use a small turbo...Awesome in USA carby turbo can make 9sc

Bump: Base turbo u can use a small turbo...Awesome in USA carby turbo can make 9sc

hanadin

Oct 5, 2005
How much is the total cost for you to do the Turbo on your Fiat?I was planning to do on my car...but don't laugh la...it my Tiara...i do see a posting regarding the BOT for any car but the starting price is around 5.5k...that is without any extra modification....i was planning to buy the part separately and put 1 by 1....that why i need to know how a Turbo work on carb. engine. I was thinking of using a Mira turbine or a Starlet....since i can get boost maybe 0.5 or 0.6 bar...depent on setting i suppose

3rd GearPerformance House

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2008
RM8500 including fuel pump,injectors,fuel regulator,MT4,Piping,Silicon hose,Hose clips,Turbo, Manifold custom,Installation and Tuning.The car can boost 1.5bar and daily driving.:biggrin::biggrin:

bebolagalas T

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2007
I already done before since 2004 with a fiat 1.8L carby turbo.with std carby and stock ignition u have a trouble when boost come in.Carby jet is not enough to flow the fuel.What we do we remain the carby and add the MT4 fuel controller.we fine with fueling and retard timing with MSD boost ignition controler.Low budget but good whp.SUCK or FLOW it is not big deal.Huge....

hehhe turbo still same:wavey:- tuner is important here :driver: determine 'brape besar jet mau pakai'

so bro-bro or sifu2 or otai from 3rd gear or Mr jOE can help u - interesting project remind me on US muscle car..:hmmmm:

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
I've seen some guys customize a turbo setup for an old Jag carby engine. They converted the carb to a throttle body injection setup! The engine had twin carbs, and the jets etc have been removed and replaced with dual 550cc Mitsubishi Evo injectors. The throttle butterfly axle had custom fabricated "ears" that attach to external throttle position sensors. The whole setup is handled by a standalone Motec ECU. Damn expensive for the owner to mod, but definitely can be boosted because if you were to use a normal carby setup, the carb might stop drawing in fuel on boost. Have to at least add a fuel pump and change some stuff at the carb jet to ensure fueling continues under positive pressure.

Tevin Lim

From Facebook
Aug 20, 2010
www.facebook.com
i would agree on that , good post
if i were to make a carb turbo, i would obviously choose carb->turbo->intake
but there are some drawbacks too,
first things first , this method is the easier way because you can use any big carb to make this setup , the blow through setup requires you to have a Turbo Capability Carb which detects boost and supplies more fuel. The Suck/Draw setup sucks air + fuel , the more air , the more fuel its gonna bring in , but the drawback is that you gonna suck fuel + air into the turbo which might not be that good for the turbo's seals and compressor wheel.
sifu,

mean... the mixture may not be good to the seal of turbo and the compressor wheel inside the housing of turbo if the turbo are after the carburetor??

hehe, u r advising us 2 use carburetor after the turbo(carb -> turbo -> intake ) rite?

sorry ya..
poor in English and really wish could gain more knowledge about automotive...@@

I would like to know...
there's requirement for inter-cooler for carburetor turbo-charger engine??
*I guess yes since Kancil/Mira are using inter-cooler for their non-injection engines rite??

sifu2, pls correct me....

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
carb>>turbo>>engine setup might not really reliable...

a destroyed the turbo oil seals during tuning my carb using this setup for turbo....

what engine?? :biggrin:
bike's engine 250cc

SE86

Known Member
Nov 21, 2005
Tevin..if not mistaken kancil is running EFI system for thier turbo..not carb turbo...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear guys,

Need some of your feedback although i've read similar threads discussion the same issue.

The issue is my water temp currently shows temp running abit high during cruising, speeding and boosting.

On traffic jams, temp will remain at 90-95c

Cruising on highway, temp will raise up till 100c

Boosting at 0.8 bar will raise up to 110c

Here are the some tech specs of my car

-4EFTE engine

-D&D (4 core aluminium) civic eg radiator

-Removed thermostat

-Toyota...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience