Civic or slyphy?

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
great advices given by bros in the earlier posts. why dont u start a pole?
might help..

mingz

1,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2007
if u going for civic, go for the 2.0 version, forget bout the 1.8 bro...
dun worry, next year the 2nd value will drop edi. wait for promo....maybe towards CNY.
low interest ka....u never know...
y not consider lancer GT?
lancer GT look boxy for me...i got suggest to her before...she said "huh? "insipira"???...so i diam only...

u got the point,i've been looking 2.0 but way out of budget so i stick back to 1.8cc...hope wat u say become reality...

if it's for your wife, then i would strongly recommend you to at least check and test drive a sylphy. after all its marketed towards working class woman.
Big compartment to store her handbag, very easy to drive because of its cvt's linear and predictable power curve, and more than enough power to overtake. No idea about 1.8 civic, but recently i test drive 1.8 inspira, and the pickup is nowhere near to sylphy.
ha! got sylphy supporter here...wat is cvt's? will try for a test drive....

bro, i think that its better if you bring your wife to test drive the car first since she will be driving it most of the time.

women generally look for different things when choosing a car compared to us men. :burnout:

noted...BUT women mostly care bout out/in look only...when u ask them to test both car,they will said no different when driving...and tell u "i like the meter la,headlamp nice also,rearlamp too small...bla bla bla.."(mean she din give u any answer)...i mean my wife...

great advices given by bros in the earlier posts. why dont u start a pole?
might help..
ya,will start...but like to discuss more bout it...becos i might miss something that i dunno...hope got civic and sylphy owner can share more at here...

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
Slyphys look are juz ok-ok but the engine's response and the cvt gearbox are really cool
the acceleration is nice,surprising me btw altho its cvt
CVT gearbox means it doesnt have gears,but instead uses metal belt inside...so u will never feel any 'shift'...the downside is tat u feel like driving a car with clutch slip

Civic 1.8 i believe is also a good choice...coz Honda cars are back with strong resale value...tats y u see civic price still sky high...the engine is also smooth,but of coz due to lower cc,there is less torque...

YouTube - i-VTEC Technology

after watching this video,u might wan to stick to honda civic

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
The power for the 1.8 Civic is ok ok but it's a SOHC.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
I don't know if this will gonna be a second car or the only car. If the only car, better buy 1 new myvi + 1 used waja. If as a second car, then can think about a SUV/pickup (rexton at RM50k+), new myvi (for town use), volvo S60 (RM70k+ only), new honda city or etc. get either used civic or used sylphy, price still high and yet need to do major service in a short time of period. Regardless how people praise the cars until can fly, they are just a combination of recycle plastic + recycle metal with 4 rollers that made by rubber which only meant for use as a transport. If sport car or some exotic/luxury car then can add the word lifestyle into the phrase, at least worth more than the 2 common sedans which A: launched in March 2006, new model will come out very soon and B: can see at KLIA premium taxi standby area. RM80k, can buy a 2004-2006 Chevrolet Optra 1.8L/Aveo 1.5L and maintain it for at least another 10 years, still got money left for a new car downpayment, meanwhile, if buy the RM80k civic or sylphy, after 10 years, you lost 2-4 new cars downpayment when sum up the maintenance cost + bank interest for RM80k + gab between depreciation & buying price + misc cost.

Last edited:

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
The chevrolet u saying are not real chevrolet available in the states...they are just rebadged...just like aveo...its actually a korea Daewoo company...juz change the logo to chevrolet...like proton inspira/mitsu lancer

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Some people does care about brand name and etc. But I care money more than anything else :D The Chevrolet Optra we are getting, Body made in Korea, 1.8L engine from Holden Australia with German ZF gearbox, 1.6L engine with japan Nissin gearbox, assembled in Thailand. I have a 1.8L model. solid body, full leather, big space and etc. Timing belt change is expensive at around RM800 together water pump. But no big problem since 2004. The main point is, 'cold' car like chevrolet, Alfa and etc, new price expensive but used price dropped straight to the bottom. Buying a used unit can save a lot of money and suffering minimal depreciation over long time. Japan car different, especially honda and toyota. Used price maintain high. But after 10 years (till bank cannot loan), price then dramatically drop. Buying a not so old used unit is not a wise choice (loan % high some more). Better to commit that extra RM200-300 every month and get a new unit. If that little money also beh tahan and need to think twice or trice, then should consider my suggestion. Example, buy a Optra 1.8L at now +-RM30k, after 10 years, throw it to besi buruk also can get back at least RM1k. Max loss RM29k. But a 2-3 years old civic, after 10 years (age = 12-14 years), cannot loan, price will be at RM30-35k max (cash buy only)(also depends on economy condition at that moment). Losses = RM45k at minimum. RM15k different can pay for 3 Myvi downpayment or min 10 years of maintenance cost for a new car. Of cause, if don't mine local car, used 200-2001 waja is a good choice too.

BTW, if want this one and that one, then don't talk about budget and just whack the best one downpayment can buy. If got budget, then should think about the best bang for bucks. When talk about best bang for bucks, must look at short, mid and long term losses and also consider to further lower down the requirement and give extra RM100-200 to parent who is old or retired, help them to counter the inflation.

Last edited:

mingz

1,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know if this will gonna be a second car or the only car. If the only car, better buy 1 new myvi + 1 used waja. If as a second car, then can think about a SUV/pickup (rexton at RM50k+), new myvi (for town use), volvo S60 (RM70k+ only), new honda city or etc. get either used civic or used sylphy, price still high and yet need to do major service in a short time of period. Regardless how people praise the cars until can fly, they are just a combination of recycle plastic + recycle metal with 4 rollers that made by rubber which only meant for use as a transport. If sport car or some exotic/luxury car then can add the word lifestyle into the phrase, at least worth more than the 2 common sedans which A: launched in March 2006, new model will come out very soon and B: can see at KLIA premium taxi standby area. RM80k, can buy a 2004-2006 Chevrolet Optra 1.8L/Aveo 1.5L and maintain it for at least another 10 years, still got money left for a new car downpayment, meanwhile, if buy the RM80k civic or sylphy, after 10 years, you lost 2-4 new cars downpayment when sum up the maintenance cost + bank interest for RM80k + gab between depreciation & buying price + misc cost.
thanks,your point just waking me up...will discuss this with my wife...

how's the fuel consumption for optra? just curious...

oh yea,this car will be my wife daily drive...consider the only car.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
My 1.8L optra with 17" wheel (all ori except the wheel), highway 1L = 10-12km. Town drive full tank can go more than 440km. But fuel consumption is depends on driving style, very subjective. I believe many can get better mile than me :) For maintenance cost, you can ask chevrolet showroom or PJ Volcar. It is quite reasonable for me (cheaper than honda and has less restriction). What I like is the metal part. Very solid compare to most Jap or local car. Last time got 1 kelisa bang my butt. I got only 1/4 apple size dent but the kelisa front all finished. bumper, head lamp, radiator and etc all gone.

Buy a copy of motor trader and survey for cheap and good car la. Optra 1.8L is not the only option available.

wilm3

500 RPM
Aug 4, 2005
KL
my sis owned civic 1.8L b4 and i always drove...but felt vy sluggish...(compare to my 4AGE). not as comfort as sylphy. Civic lots of problems...may be my sis unit only. last 2 month went in service center changed engine bearing and service gearbox luckily under warranty. but....sad to said that last month the whole car caught in fire...total lost....now buy new JAZZ....honda supporter cos work in honda:(

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
when talking about value wise,just stick to local or japs car...confirm value there
u mean in terms of resale value rite???:hmmmm:
coz most conti cars here just plummet in value
so if ur gonna get one better keep it for a while otherwise u will feel shitty when u sell it :banghead:

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
haha.....1,3,5 is sporty....2,4,6 datin.....(wah...u must be having headache)
i think u have to buy 2 car for her.......haha
if not, they change a lot....
i am thinking of buying a car for my wife also
already thinking for about 3-4month....no conclusion also....
......i also feel should buy civic....easy to sell next time.....sporty....more equipment
but .... pls take 2.0 civic....
price wil dropped next year....
best is.....the civic wil suitable to u too

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Mini name will be echoing in the rallying world once again after the iconic brand made a return to the World Rally Championship (WRC) with the debut of their Mini Countryman WRC at the Rally Sardinia last week.

Although the marquee, which has tied up with Prodrive for their rally team, will only be participating in some of the rounds of this year’s calendar as a refinement step before going for the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience