How to push Myvi up to 180kph?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Gear ratio, tires, the engine plays the part here plus the weight of the car.

My sister has a MyVi manual so I know it's capabilities. The car doesn't run out of breath even at high rev thanks to variable valve system and the gear ratio is quite good couple that to a small 14 inch tire...less friction give you more speed and good acceleration. I have driven MyVi with 17 inch...the acc felt sluggish and I don't like it at all.

But going at 180 in a MyVi with stock tires is scary and the noise from the wind...=.='

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Gear ratio, tires, the engine plays the part here plus the weight of the car.

My sister has a MyVi manual so I know it's capabilities. The car doesn't run out of breath even at high rev thanks to variable valve system and the gear ratio is quite good couple that to a small 14 inch tire...less friction give you more speed and good acceleration. I have driven MyVi with 17 inch...the acc felt sluggish and I don't like it at all.

But going at 180 in a MyVi with stock tires is scary and the noise from the wind...=.='
so u'r one of them la.... :rofl:

but yah...all those i saw running at 180kmh still running with standard rims n wheels. even exhaust standard. those with big rims normally cant keep up.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Arturo, not me driving....is my sister that want to prove to me that MyVi can go to 180...plus U don't drive her car so often only when my car is in the workshop since we work together.

banzai

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL \ Ipoh
Visit site
The only other logical explanation IMHO is that the 20v above might not be in its' top/healthiest state of tune so it's actually slower than it should be, hence the std myvi can almost match it! :)
Again I'm referring to the acceleration to 180kph as told in above story, not just the 180kph top speed.
Mine just dynoed not long ago, it's healthy. when we slowed down to around 140 due to traffic on the fast lane, i can climb back to 190kmph(the max my ECU allows) twice the myvi speed due to my high rev capability, then i realized this is not fair and i decided to let both of us spar closer because i want to find out how the myvi performs. i almost certain it's not forced induction as its speed gathering is quite linear.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Mine just dynoed not long ago, it's healthy. when we slowed down to around 140 due to traffic on the fast lane, i can climb back to 190kmph(the max my ECU allows) twice the myvi speed due to my high rev capability, then i realized this is not fair and i decided to let both of us spar closer because i want to find out how the myvi performs. i almost certain it's not forced induction as its speed gathering is quite linear.
Ah then this explains it! :) It's not as closely match as I thought it was based on the original story, cuz actually your acceleration was much quicker and then you actually backed up a bit to make it closer! :D So if you're asking can it just reach 180kph, the answer should be simply yes like many have testified above, but again it would not be that close to your 20v capability. So physics still don't lie, my fellow ZTH friends! :)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
totally agree....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
Doesn't make sense to me. A 1.3ltr 85-90HP engine pushing a 900kg-1ton car should not be as fast, the numbers just don't add up. I believe it can reach 170-180kph but not in a manner that can closely match a 150-170hp 1.6ltr 20v car as told above, let alone reach 200+ ahead of a 200+HP Impreza. I also have friends who own pure stock Myvi and they say it's slow, one even said his was struggling a bit to get up to Genting Highland and it is still pretty much new (a few months old only)!
the thing people always forget is, when doing dis type of comparison, they tend to leave out the age of the engine. dat myvi's engine is new compared to the 20v's, aint it? what doesnt add up then? one more thing, cars coming outta the factory have allowed tolerance, they arent all the same sir..

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
the thing people always forget is, when doing dis type of comparison, they tend to leave out the age of the engine. dat myvi's engine is new compared to the 20v's, aint it? what doesnt add up then? one more thing, cars coming outta the factory have allowed tolerance, they arent all the same sir..
Of course they always have tolerances sir, but should be more or less within the specified spec sheet, so if the Myvi std spec is 86HP, I believe it should be safe to say that the best case would probably be around 90HP with the worst around 80HP, right? I also think most manufacturers have more tendency to overstate the publicized specsheet to make it look better (you wouldn't think if the engine is making an avg of 90-95HP then the manufacturer would release spec of 86HP, would you?) Furthermore, Mr. Banzai had confirmed above that his 20v is in top condition as indicated by a recent dyno test. Note that even an old engine can be rejuvenated easily or even made better by a good tuner. So a healthy std 20v 1.6ltr should put around 150-170HP on the flywheel. So even at the worst case for the 20v at around 150HP pushing around about 1,2 ton vs the best case of the 1.3ltr at let say 90HP pushing 950kg, the 20v will still win easily!
Anyway no need to debate anymore as Mr. Banzai himself had confirmed that his acceleration was so much as twice that of the Myvi that he backed up to stay closer to the Myvi, so case closed sir! Again in the end physics don't lie. :biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
physics doesnt lie, but sumhow they are misunderstood imo..

weve managed 180kmh easily on a carb 1300cc charade, dats an old engine, y cudnt a new engine in a myvi does it? top speed isnt about the hp jer fyi, the story started dat the myvi can keep up with the 20v top speed's, not acceleration sir.. nobody said anything about the myvi being to out accelerate anything, at least the way i understand it..

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
now, can all stock 1.3 myvi push up to 180kmph? i notice the torque from 150-180 is quite impressive, it's not those struggling forever to achieve the top speed. really salute tat myvi la.
physics doesnt lie, but sumhow they are misunderstood imo..

weve managed 180kmh easily on a carb 1300cc charade, dats an old engine, y cudnt a new engine in a myvi does it? top speed isnt about the hp jer fyi, the story started dat the myvi can keep up with the 20v top speed's, not acceleration sir.. nobody said anything about the myvi being to out accelerate anything, at least the way i understand it..
Reaching 180kph 'easily' is all relative to what is you're comparing to. How fast or slow a car is should be relative compared to another car. Your 1.3ltr Charade 'easily' reach 180 compared to what?? Maybe compared to another old 1-1.3ltr car but definitely not against a 20v 1.6ltr machine.
You said top speed is not about HP? Sure it's not ONLY about HP as there are gear ratios, the drive configuration (AWD/RWD/FWD), weight, aero efficiency, tire size, driver skill & guts, road condition, etc2, but surely you gotta admit that power is still a very important factor or else how would you explain that the top speed record to date by a production car is owned by a 1200HP monster which is also one of the most powerful production car in the world, and not say a 120HP everyday car??

You also should read more carefully the original story as I quote it above, whereby Mr. Banzai was also pointing out the way the myvi seemed to able to speed up from 150-180kph rather impressively, only to be explained more later by his following confirmation about how he actually backed up to make it closer. Yes, physics can be misunderstood but I believe I wasn't the one who misunderstood them. :biggrin:

Anyway as I said just earlier, no point in debating anymore, ok. I pretty much know already what basically had happened and it was as it supposed to be based on the spec numbers of each machine.
Peace sir.

banzai

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL \ Ipoh
Visit site
hmm, great conversation. thanks for all the feedbacks. initially i expected answers like oversize piston, plonk in alza engine or performance ECU, but none of such. tat is why i'm very interested to know is there any secret recipe...hehe.

so based on all you guys feedback, now i know better of myvi. believe it or not, i also have a myvi 1.3auto at home for city driving. hate the auto gearbox but gotta keep it for madam..:)
when i push it to 150, i felt sorry for the car as i feel it's running out of breath and feel scary too as it still running on stock tyre, suspension and OEM 14" rims.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I can push a shopping cart to 180kmh by pushing it off a five storey building.
Acceleration due to gravity, 9.8m/sec
distance required to hit 180km/h = 50m/sec
needs to spend at least 5+ secs dropping down from somewhere to hit 180km/h..

:P... sorry, the thread title was begging for a physics joke.

Honestly, why compare top speeds? it's simply a factor of gear ratio. an old car with a low enough final drive and a steep enough incline can hit 180km/h.

It's the time it takes to hit that 180km/h that is a measure of power. If the car takes 1 min+ to hit 180kmh, then it's a normal car... is it so strange?

Of course, the dangers of pushing a standard car to 180, then suddenly swerving to avoid something is the owner's own responsibility.... stock absorbers don't take very well to sudden directional changes.

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
between fast and quick.my choice would be a quick car. how long it take to reach certain speed.. my dad waja can reach 270kmh.hardly. my Civic can reach 240kmh. easily.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
A human powered bicycle can even reach 180km/h on flat road with the proper gear ratio and aerodynamic assistance....a point to ponder....:biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
easily = without hesitation, compared to sum cars dat cudnt achieve such feat

i didnt once say it was u, but u re using physics excessively to explain sumthing simple imo.. are we gonna bring dis thread up for a lecture session or what? when it does 180, den it does, no big..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anyone here do experinced with WeColor Sdn Bhd this shop? any any frens do engage thier service be4? they seems like very pro in leather, vinyl, fabric, velour, plastic or composites in automotive.

my car leather is really in bad condition. asked around holstery shop but all of them dun encourage to repair but re-wrape a brand new leather seat cover. so i was thinking can they really do the wonders for my car
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience