BorgWarner's new EFR Turbines Unveiled!

ThunderGod_Cid

Known Member
Dec 2, 2005
Has anybody heard about that BorgWarner are up to recently? They have been quietly working on a new range of ground breaking high performance turbochargers which are called EFR (Engineered For Racing)

The EFR-Series of turbochargers is a ‘white-paper’ approach to designing the ultimate in aftermarket turbocharger technology. With O.E. manufacturer status for some of the largest and most prestigious auto builders in the world, such as Porsche, VAG and Ford Motor Company, it was only natural that the latest, most advanced designs be brought forth by such a company.

The new EFR-Series of product are the highest technology turbochargers ever available to the aftermarket, period. With features and benefits such as:

* Low Inertia Turbine Wheel

* Gamma-Ti turbine wheel cuts turbine inertia by roughly 50% dramatically improving turbo response. Turbine sizes range from 55 to 80mm in exducer diameter

* Heat Resistant Turbine Housings

* Investment cast stainless steel turbine housings improve durability and offer an offer extremely smooth internal flow channel. Turbine housings have thin walls to reduce weight and thermal inertia.

* High Turbine Efficiency

* Superback” and “Fullback” back-disk shapes offer very high efficiencies. The Superback shape adds a curved profile to the back-disk and has the effect of lowering centrifugal stress and permitting higher rotational speeds.

* Enhanced Turbo Response

* EFR turbochargers use a dual-row ball bearing cartridge with ceramic balls and metal cage. This bearing system provides substantial friction reduction at low turbo speeds and in the process helps improve turbo response. Metal cage improved the durability of the ball bearing assembly

* Flexible Compressor Cover

* The EFR turbo “large” cover has a dual-machined outlet, both for a hose connection and a v-band connection.

* Simplified Installation

* Integrated compressor recirculation valve (CRV) to help avoid compressor surge and backflow during a throttle lift event. This feature helps to simplify the installation task and lowers overall system install cost

* Forged Milled Compressor Wheels (FMW)

* EFR turbos contain wheels that are fully milled from forged aluminium, commonly known as “billet”. Cut from custom forgings, their strength exceeds that which is available from typical bar-stock and also exceeds the material properties of an aluminium casting

* Sensor mounting convenience

* Speed sensor mounting provisions are also supplied on every compressor cover. Speed sensors are sold separately.

* Boost Control Solenoid Valve (BCSV)

* A boost control solenoid valve (BCSV) is included with every EFR turbo.

* High Flow Wastegates

* Purpose designed large wastegate ports give the wastegated EFR turbos the capability of handling the flow requirements of high performance applications

* Ease of Orientation

* Turbo orientation flexibility is facilitated by the wastegate bracket to bearing housing mounting arrangement.

* Adjustable Wastegate

* The fabrication and installation task is simplified with wastegated EFR models that feature adjustable wastegates available in three different canister sizes.

This new family of products, complete with support components, and introducing new Super Core and Loose Turbine Housing options, will allow the high-performance tuner an unrivalled line of products.

Product part number, pricing, and specific component data will be released during the 2010 SEMA Show, in Las Vegas, NV.

Oh yeah, you might also wanna drop in one of these links also;

http://www.full-race.com/articles/bo...fr-turbos.html

http://www.cosworthusa.com/news/article.asp?idpage=57

http://www.diesel-plus.com/efr_1.cfm

So what say you guys? ;)

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
main things
- billet compressor wheel
- titanium-allu turbine wheel
- ceramic bb
- built in bov
- built in boost controller

lets all guess the price b4 it comes out hehehe
my guess, nothing less than 6.5k for the smallest piece :P

rockcity

Known Member
May 31, 2006
interested to know the price.... and which one is suitable for the 400-500whp range....:hmmmm:

rockcity

Known Member
May 31, 2006
bro jin: if im looking for track use for 2.3/2.2 set up.... which turbo do you think i should consider..... or should i stick to 2.0 for track.... thanks

ThunderGod_Cid

Known Member
Dec 2, 2005
hehe told u the price will be crazy
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-efr/borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo.html
for a size of S362 extended tip which runs for about 900$ , its nw $2700 for the EFR series huhuhuhu

$2700 i would for sure go for a FP3794 which is far cheaper n proven 8secs
I think that you are trying to compare apples and oranges between these two series of turbos bro. For high HP track with large displacement engines or ball bearing are not considered as essential then use the Airwerks products, it will work out a lot cheaper. The top end of EFR Series and the bottom end of Airwerk Series overlap to some degree.

For small displacement street performance, stick with EFR series, they spool uber fast and there is nothing out there that can compete. As far as I am aware, the EFR Series is comparable to the GT series pricing on a frame size to frame size basis. The top end of EFR Series and the bottom end of Airwerk Series overlap to some degree.

The S362 is a Bulls-Eye product which is definitely NOT a BW product. It’s just an S300 frame sized BW model turbo with a 62mm inducer. Bulls-Eye now produces a lot of their own product which appears to be poorly made in some cases.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

http://www.borgwarnerboosted.com/ for power range chart

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
good explanation :)
bt i guess so far i seen BEP's doing well except for small complains on their turbine housing castings sometime ago

pioneer411

1,000 RPM
I think that you are trying to compare apples and oranges between these two series of turbos bro. For high HP track with large displacement engines or ball bearing are not considered as essential then use the Airwerks products, it will work out a lot cheaper. The top end of EFR Series and the bottom end of Airwerk Series overlap to some degree.

For small displacement street performance, stick with EFR series, they spool uber fast and there is nothing out there that can compete. As far as I am aware, the EFR Series is comparable to the GT series pricing on a frame size to frame size basis. The top end of EFR Series and the bottom end of Airwerk Series overlap to some degree.

The S362 is a Bulls-Eye product which is definitely NOT a BW product. It’s just an S300 frame sized BW model turbo with a 62mm inducer. Bulls-Eye now produces a lot of their own product which appears to be poorly made in some cases.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

http://www.borgwarnerboosted.com/ for power range chart

i think for the new technology EFR turbo price which is compare with Garrett, price is still lot cheaper on BW side, plus BW Billet comp wheel, TI turbine wheel, summore built in BOV ? lolzz

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

main things
- billet compressor wheel
- titanium-allu turbine wheel
- ceramic bb
- built in bov
- built in boost controller

lets all guess the price b4 it comes out hehehe
my guess, nothing less than 6.5k for the smallest piece :P

i think the EFR 80mm turbine exducer od that range is cheaper than GT42 range if me not wrong :)

ThunderGod_Cid

Known Member
Dec 2, 2005
price may or may not be more expensive than G Turbos, but imagine saving cost on the BOV and Wastegate, it'll work out cheaper.

There is also a built in Boost Control Solenoid which is connected to the actuator/wastegate.

The BOV works in a way that the turbine still spools at a higher speed compared to having a normal BOV. This was proven with a turbine speed meter

gwailo68

Dec 20, 2008
3 bar should be no problem. Generally speaking, there are not many street cars running that kind of boost pressure though. If in doubt, you can alway "blank off" the standard BOV and go for an external.

However, the standard BOV is proven to reduce the RPM drop between shifts of 200 to 300 rpm which makes a huge difference in driveability.

The titanium aluminide wheel is 50% lighter than a standard inconel wheel. Therefore the energy required to spin it is greatly reduced.....hence the faster spool.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was cleaning my car speed meter and rpm meter plastic surface with microfiber cloth. But cause some minor surface scratch

Scratch level: finger or nail can't feel it, but can see the minor scratch from side reflecting

dear forumer, any solution i can remove the scratch?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience