b6t tech : gtx 626 5th gear swap

pimpin323

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2004
KENNY LEW 626 5th GEAR SWAP
http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears.html

This is my feeble attempt at creating a write-up for my web page. I'm not proficient in web design so bare with me. This is a detailed write-up which includes pics of how to do the 5th gear swap. This only applies to the '88-89 323 GTX and GT. I'm sure the J-spec trannies are the same as the North American spec ones so the procedure should be the same. These gears will lower both the rpms in the GTX and GT in 5th gear by about 500 rpm. In the GTX, cruising with the stock 5th gear at 80 mph leaves the motor at 4200 rpm. With the 626 5th gear, you're at around 3700 rpm. Not a huge difference, but enough for a few extra miles per gallon.

The pics I took are from my GT. The shift fork is at a different location on the GT than the GTX (just updated one of the pics to show where the location of the pin is in the shift fork on the GTX), but the procedure is still the same. Much of this write-up was contributed by Paul Kroenke ([email protected]). Not sure if he's still on the list or not, but I wanted to give credit where it's due. I added a few things along with the photos. I'm sure others can add to it. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything. Paul's instructions are in blue while mine are in silver. His experience was a tad bit different than mine.

The 5th gears are originally from a '90-97 323 and an '88-92 626. Not positive on which cars they're from, but here are the part numbers for the 2 gears that you will need for the swap.
G560-17-611 G514-17-308

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears5.jpg

1. Put front of car on blocks with driver side wheel removed
2. Remove splash cover from under the fender
3. Drain tranny fluid
4. Remove round end cover on the tranny with a 10mm extension
5. Have friend get on the brakes (safe) or try a rag in between the gears. I chose the brakes.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/tranny1.jpg

*UPDATED PIC* -- This is a pic of the GTX tranny. Note the PIN above.

6. Remove the lock nuts. I used 1 1/16" and 1 5/16", but they didn't fit perfect. Use whatever fits, because they are a little hard to find. You may
want to get new nuts, but I used the old ones fine, and it will help you to know when they are tight without a torque wrench. (The indentations fit with
the shafts indentation.)

I was fortunate enough to have an electric impact gun so I didn't need anyone to step on the brakes or use a rag in between the gears. An impact gun is the only way to go to remove those nuts. They're on there pretty good. I used metric sized sockets instead of the standard ones. The sizes are 32mm and 26mm. With the impact gun, it comes right off. No hassle.

7. Remove right hand side reverse gear
8. Remove left hand side reverse gear
9. Once you remove the reverse gears, you'll reach the fork. You may want to note the position of the gears, but there is a description of the
way it goes together at the end of this description. I'd say note the position to be sure.

Might be easier to pull the fork out with the synchros as one piece. This way, you won't have to worry about what goes where. There are synchros in front and behind the shift fork so be cautious when you pull them out.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/tranny2.jpg

10. To remove the shift fork, you'll need to punch out the pin holding the shift fork to the shaft. I used a a 5/32 hex Allen wrench, the socket kind, and a very long extension, and hit the end with a hammer. It worked so well, you should try it first. I unplugged the lead spark plug wire harness, and removed the air filter (or box in some of your cases) to get a good angle on it. The spring pin does indeed go all the way through the fork and the shaft, and comes out some mystery hole which cannot be seen from any normal lines of sight.

I used a punch tool instead of the Allen wrench. Either one will work. I taped the punch tool to the end of a long 12" extension (3/8") so that I could position the punch tool over the pin. You have to knock the pin out from above. Once the pin is knocked out, it will fall to the ground or into the bucket of oil that you're using to catch the tranny oil.

11. Remove the 5TH gear (on the right) and the drive gear (on the left).

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/tranny3.jpg

12. Slide the new gears to there respective places
13. Slide the fork on, with the large gear in its clutches. Tap the spring
pin in as far as you can, then use the allen to pound it in flush.

This is the hard part--trying to line up the pin so that it goes into the hole on the shaft. You'll need a long extension to reach the pin. Just use the flat end of the 12" extension.

14. Now, you must maneuver the the fork in and out using 5th gear, neutral, and reverse to put all the synchros in. Put it in 5th. Slide the gapped
synchro in first. At this point, note that all these gears are either divided in 3 or 6. You will see what I am talking about when you get there. You want
all your gears so the centers on the section all line up, nice and symmetrical. Look at the gear thing that the syncros go in. Remember the keys
that flew out? Those fit in the center of the 3 indentations on the shift fork gear. This is by far the hardest part.

I didn't have any problems with this. Like I mentioned before, if you slide the fork off with all the synchros and gear stuff as one unit, you won't have to bother remembering what goes where. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

15. Fit in the gapped synchro with the centers lined up with the ones on the shift forks gear. Then holding the springed keys in place, slide the
sort-of-gear the syncros go into in so the keys line up with the marks in the other gears. Work it in by first pressing in one or two keys, then moving
around to the last one. Watch so the circular springs stay in the middle of the keys! Now I get a little long-winded. See where the circular springs are
anchored to the gear. Put that to the top, and set a key in it. Then put in the other keys and put those in first, saving the anchored one for last.
This keeps the springs centered in the keys, and makes the gear easier to put in. This is the hard part, explaining my descriptiveness.

See what I mean?

16. Put the lever in neutral, or maybe even reverse. Then go back around and slide the keyed-gear in all the way, one key at a time. They should snap into place, and the keyed-gear should fit all the way into the forks gear.

I left this part in so that in case you accidentally kick the shift fork assembly and all the pieces go flying everywhere that you will know how to put it back together.

17. Slide the last synchro into the keyed-gear, with the teeth lined up.
18. Put the right reverse gear in
19. Put the left reverse gear in.
20. Fit the spacer into the left reverse gear.
21. Put the nuts back on, and hand tighten them.

Best if you can use an impact gun to tighten the nuts.

22. Pray to whichever god you believe in, then put the car in 5th. It
should go in. If not, check your work.
23. Leave it in 5th and tighten the nuts to 127-206 N-m / 13-21 m-kg /
94-152 ft-lb.
24. Seal the end cover, and put it on, tighten to 8-11 N-m / 80-110 cm-kg
/ 69-95 in-lb.

First you'll need clean off all the old gasket off the cover and the tranny case. Then apply sealant (I used Ultra Blue since I had some) to the cover. Stick the cover back on and screw in the bolts.

25. Put your car back together, fill the tranny fluid, grab some beers and
order a pizza. You are done. Now enjoy your increased mileage and lower RPM.

Ditto that!

COMPARISON OF THE GEARS

Here is a really good comparison of each of the gears. To simplify the comparison, I counted the gears and noted the differences on each photo. This way, in case anyone missed up the two gears and can't seem to remember which is which, this is a really good reference. I'm sure some of you will probably wonder why my 626 5th gear is oily while the stock 323 one is dry. Since I sold my GT, I had to swap the 626 gears out of the tranny and replace them with the stock ones. And NO, those gears are NOT for sale. ;-)

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears1.jpg

At this time you might want to compare the old ones to the new ones for fun. The drive gear is larger on the one you are swapping in, but the 5th is smaller on the one you are swapping in. Interesting enough, the smaller 5th has 2 less teeth than the old one (33 to 35 if I remember). Sorry, but the drive gear was already in when I decided to count the teeth. It must be more than 2 teeth larger, though, right?

Here are the exact number of teeth on each gear.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears2.jpghttp://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears3.jpg

Here's the easiest way to know if you have the right 626 5th gear. On the teeth themselves, the 626 one will have a grove in the middle of each tooth. Don't ask me what it's for because I have no clue. All I know is that the 626 has it and the 323 one doesn't.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears4.jpg

If you have any questions, comments, feedback, or anything else to add to this write-up, drop me a line.

[email protected]

ataro_gozambo

Known Member
Jan 6, 2005
pimpin, the GTX gbox is from 4WD or FWD? How about 1.8 TX3 gbox?
Mine have swap the 5th gear with the 5th gear from GTX 4WD.
Before 3000rpm only 85kmh now can get up to 100kmj.
Maybe swap with 626 or Capella will make it up to 115kmj. Anyone?

pimpin323

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2004
maybe, not too sure yet about this mod. just found it. its a 4wd gearbox. but does anyone knows whats the internal diff of the turbo 2wd gearbox from a turbo 4wd gearbox? anyway the part number is all there to help.

MazdaB8GTX

Known Member
Sep 30, 2004
Better fuel consumption pls

pimpin323 said:
KENNY LEW 626 5th GEAR SWAP
http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears.html

This is my feeble attempt at creating a write-up for my web page. I'm not proficient in web design so bare with me. This is a detailed write-up which includes pics of how to do the 5th gear swap. This only applies to the '88-89 323 GTX and GT. I'm sure the J-spec trannies are the same as the North American spec ones so the procedure should be the same. These gears will lower both the rpms in the GTX and GT in 5th gear by about 500 rpm. In the GTX, cruising with the stock 5th gear at 80 mph leaves the motor at 4200 rpm. With the 626 5th gear, you're at around 3700 rpm. Not a huge difference, but enough for a few extra miles per gallon.

The pics I took are from my GT. The shift fork is at a different location on the GT than the GTX (just updated one of the pics to show where the location of the pin is in the shift fork on the GTX), but the procedure is still the same. Much of this write-up was contributed by Paul Kroenke ([email protected]). Not sure if he's still on the list or not, but I wanted to give credit where it's due. I added a few things along with the photos. I'm sure others can add to it. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything. Paul's instructions are in blue while mine are in silver. His experience was a tad bit different than mine.

The 5th gears are originally from a '90-97 323 and an '88-92 626. Not positive on which cars they're from, but here are the part numbers for the 2 gears that you will need for the swap.
G560-17-611 G514-17-308

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears5.jpg

1. Put front of car on blocks with driver side wheel removed
2. Remove splash cover from under the fender
3. Drain tranny fluid
4. Remove round end cover on the tranny with a 10mm extension
5. Have friend get on the brakes (safe) or try a rag in between the gears. I chose the brakes.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/tranny1.jpg

*UPDATED PIC* -- This is a pic of the GTX tranny. Note the PIN above.

6. Remove the lock nuts. I used 1 1/16" and 1 5/16", but they didn't fit perfect. Use whatever fits, because they are a little hard to find. You may
want to get new nuts, but I used the old ones fine, and it will help you to know when they are tight without a torque wrench. (The indentations fit with
the shafts indentation.)

I was fortunate enough to have an electric impact gun so I didn't need anyone to step on the brakes or use a rag in between the gears. An impact gun is the only way to go to remove those nuts. They're on there pretty good. I used metric sized sockets instead of the standard ones. The sizes are 32mm and 26mm. With the impact gun, it comes right off. No hassle.

7. Remove right hand side reverse gear
8. Remove left hand side reverse gear
9. Once you remove the reverse gears, you'll reach the fork. You may want to note the position of the gears, but there is a description of the
way it goes together at the end of this description. I'd say note the position to be sure.

Might be easier to pull the fork out with the synchros as one piece. This way, you won't have to worry about what goes where. There are synchros in front and behind the shift fork so be cautious when you pull them out.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/tranny2.jpg

10. To remove the shift fork, you'll need to punch out the pin holding the shift fork to the shaft. I used a a 5/32 hex Allen wrench, the socket kind, and a very long extension, and hit the end with a hammer. It worked so well, you should try it first. I unplugged the lead spark plug wire harness, and removed the air filter (or box in some of your cases) to get a good angle on it. The spring pin does indeed go all the way through the fork and the shaft, and comes out some mystery hole which cannot be seen from any normal lines of sight.

I used a punch tool instead of the Allen wrench. Either one will work. I taped the punch tool to the end of a long 12" extension (3/8") so that I could position the punch tool over the pin. You have to knock the pin out from above. Once the pin is knocked out, it will fall to the ground or into the bucket of oil that you're using to catch the tranny oil.

11. Remove the 5TH gear (on the right) and the drive gear (on the left).

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/tranny3.jpg

12. Slide the new gears to there respective places
13. Slide the fork on, with the large gear in its clutches. Tap the spring
pin in as far as you can, then use the allen to pound it in flush.

This is the hard part--trying to line up the pin so that it goes into the hole on the shaft. You'll need a long extension to reach the pin. Just use the flat end of the 12" extension.

14. Now, you must maneuver the the fork in and out using 5th gear, neutral, and reverse to put all the synchros in. Put it in 5th. Slide the gapped
synchro in first. At this point, note that all these gears are either divided in 3 or 6. You will see what I am talking about when you get there. You want
all your gears so the centers on the section all line up, nice and symmetrical. Look at the gear thing that the syncros go in. Remember the keys
that flew out? Those fit in the center of the 3 indentations on the shift fork gear. This is by far the hardest part.

I didn't have any problems with this. Like I mentioned before, if you slide the fork off with all the synchros and gear stuff as one unit, you won't have to bother remembering what goes where. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

15. Fit in the gapped synchro with the centers lined up with the ones on the shift forks gear. Then holding the springed keys in place, slide the
sort-of-gear the syncros go into in so the keys line up with the marks in the other gears. Work it in by first pressing in one or two keys, then moving
around to the last one. Watch so the circular springs stay in the middle of the keys! Now I get a little long-winded. See where the circular springs are
anchored to the gear. Put that to the top, and set a key in it. Then put in the other keys and put those in first, saving the anchored one for last.
This keeps the springs centered in the keys, and makes the gear easier to put in. This is the hard part, explaining my descriptiveness.

See what I mean?

16. Put the lever in neutral, or maybe even reverse. Then go back around and slide the keyed-gear in all the way, one key at a time. They should snap into place, and the keyed-gear should fit all the way into the forks gear.

I left this part in so that in case you accidentally kick the shift fork assembly and all the pieces go flying everywhere that you will know how to put it back together.

17. Slide the last synchro into the keyed-gear, with the teeth lined up.
18. Put the right reverse gear in
19. Put the left reverse gear in.
20. Fit the spacer into the left reverse gear.
21. Put the nuts back on, and hand tighten them.

Best if you can use an impact gun to tighten the nuts.

22. Pray to whichever god you believe in, then put the car in 5th. It
should go in. If not, check your work.
23. Leave it in 5th and tighten the nuts to 127-206 N-m / 13-21 m-kg /
94-152 ft-lb.
24. Seal the end cover, and put it on, tighten to 8-11 N-m / 80-110 cm-kg
/ 69-95 in-lb.

First you'll need clean off all the old gasket off the cover and the tranny case. Then apply sealant (I used Ultra Blue since I had some) to the cover. Stick the cover back on and screw in the bolts.

25. Put your car back together, fill the tranny fluid, grab some beers and
order a pizza. You are done. Now enjoy your increased mileage and lower RPM.

Ditto that!

COMPARISON OF THE GEARS

Here is a really good comparison of each of the gears. To simplify the comparison, I counted the gears and noted the differences on each photo. This way, in case anyone missed up the two gears and can't seem to remember which is which, this is a really good reference. I'm sure some of you will probably wonder why my 626 5th gear is oily while the stock 323 one is dry. Since I sold my GT, I had to swap the 626 gears out of the tranny and replace them with the stock ones. And NO, those gears are NOT for sale. ;-)

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears1.jpg

At this time you might want to compare the old ones to the new ones for fun. The drive gear is larger on the one you are swapping in, but the 5th is smaller on the one you are swapping in. Interesting enough, the smaller 5th has 2 less teeth than the old one (33 to 35 if I remember). Sorry, but the drive gear was already in when I decided to count the teeth. It must be more than 2 teeth larger, though, right?

Here are the exact number of teeth on each gear.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears2.jpghttp://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears3.jpg

Here's the easiest way to know if you have the right 626 5th gear. On the teeth themselves, the 626 one will have a grove in the middle of each tooth. Don't ask me what it's for because I have no clue. All I know is that the 626 has it and the 323 one doesn't.

http://rxtrme7.aaph.com/gtx/gears4.jpg

If you have any questions, comments, feedback, or anything else to add to this write-up, drop me a line.

[email protected]
pimpin323

just abit confuse . If i want to swap my fifth gear from the tx3 gearbox, do i need to buy the whole 626 gearbox from chop shop and take out the fifth gear . OR i can other the brand new 626 fifth gear.

From wat i see from the picture the part numbers for the 2 gears that you will need for the swap.
G560-17-611 G514-17-308 is not similar to the fifth gear from the 626 u shown further below. I counted the number of gigi. one is 51gigi and the other is less , 46 gig only.

Confuse lah can enlighten me ah. BTW after swap . at 3k rpm wat is the speed u get.
currently i using tx3 gearbox at 3k is 90 exactly and 4k 120. Full consumption bad man on highway if u go 140-150 constant. BTW i adjusted ful regulator till only 25 psi. Running not more than 3.5k and always control accelaration so boost meter always below 0 or at 0. good consumption but sad man to say , i am drivin a 1.8 Turbo car. better change to a 1.6 NA and rev higher.

WinDz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
25 psi is around how many bar ah ?? my car running on 3.4 bar of fuel pressure and mine makan minyak also ler . anyway, my model ah the 4 door bf chasis wan. 4wd gearbox from the b6t memang kenot pakai right? my previous owner (a mech) said the car is already using a 626 5speed gearbox liau wan wor . pick up of the car so so but top end is kindda satisfying. currently my car can do 130++ kmh on 3krpm (5 gear)

MazdaB8GTX

Known Member
Sep 30, 2004
WinDz said:
25 psi is around how many bar ah ?? my car running on 3.4 bar of fuel pressure and mine makan minyak also ler . anyway, my model ah the 4 door bf chasis wan. 4wd gearbox from the b6t memang kenot pakai right? my previous owner (a mech) said the car is already using a 626 5speed gearbox liau wan wor . pick up of the car so so but top end is kindda satisfying. currently my car can do 130++ kmh on 3krpm (5 gear)
25 psi bout 1.6 bar i guest . Scare something might happen to engine so nv ref and smooth driving.
When want to rev hard ( eg: being tiong by a toyota caldina GT 1.8 DOCH Turbo ah somemore while on the way to port dickson drift event.Damm piss off. ) so have to let him overtake stop at the side and adjust the fuel regulator like an idiot. But after that never chase him, haha

Ok back to the topic i get good consumption, 70 ringgit 400km combine . damm keng.
but scare the piston , the gasket one day will blow. But wats the point driving a BPT like that

Ok want to ask u something , ur gearbox is 626 which year,

ur car running 3.4 bar . why so high, ( above normal man ) u using add injectors or large cc injector or big turbine with high boost .

WinDz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
errr not sure which year cause im actually kindda new to mazda ler .. just got my car less than 2 months .

when i get from the previous owner he is using that setting liau wan. my mech evo 3 also he said running 3 bar only .. but then he step down to 3 bar last time for me . and damn my piston cracked when i rev kao kao when wanna chase that kompressor mercs one day... hmmm so im kindda worried now so i just run back what ever is come with the previous owner.. im not sure whether the previous incident is caused by the fuel pressure or not but just to be safe ... :) my currect spec ah .. just running stock injector ler but for additional injector ler but from where and how many cc i really dunno. running VF10 boost 1bar on a B6T

pimpin323

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2004
MazdaB8GTX said:
pimpin323

just abit confuse . If i want to swap my fifth gear from the tx3 gearbox, do i need to buy the whole 626 gearbox from chop shop and take out the fifth gear . OR i can other the brand new 626 fifth gear.

From wat i see from the picture the part numbers for the 2 gears that you will need for the swap.
G560-17-611 G514-17-308 is not similar to the fifth gear from the 626 u shown further below. I counted the number of gigi. one is 51gigi and the other is less , 46 gig only.

Confuse lah can enlighten me ah. BTW after swap . at 3k rpm wat is the speed u get.
currently i using tx3 gearbox at 3k is 90 exactly and 4k 120. Full consumption bad man on highway if u go 140-150 constant. BTW i adjusted ful regulator till only 25 psi. Running not more than 3.5k and always control accelaration so boost meter always below 0 or at 0. good consumption but sad man to say , i am drivin a 1.8 Turbo car. better change to a 1.6 NA and rev higher.
with this swap you should be getting 100-110 on 3k rpm on a b6t gear box. consumption i'm not sure lah. its all up to your foot actually. :)

aminkapar

Dec 23, 2004
hai there, i swap already my gear last week. iam using b6t gb. i check my gear got 45 and 34 gigi. at 5th gear 3k only 95kmh. so i check my old gb b6t 46 and 33 gigi. and now at 5th gear 3k get 100kmh. only i swap 5th gear only. iam happy now. tq pimpin.
any one know where can i get engine oil CONOCO. b4 this i get from destina. but now no more destina. tq

WinDz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
so is there actually any tt for all the mazda gang ah ? never heard any tt for mazda kakis wan

jambunk86

500 RPM
Jun 19, 2005
Kajang
pimpin,

im using tx3 gearbox...can use the 626 and swap just like that uh?...ngam is it?...currently im running at 100km/h at 3k rpm...need to make it lower cause melaka-kajang everyweek meh...where to get the 5th gear?...thanks sifus...

pimpin323

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2004
you can get it brand new via part number, but if you want to cari kedai potong would be susah la. or if you got a spare 626 gearbox.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I need assistance, my car honda civic fd has weird sounds and vibration.

1) Vibration while driving, just change tyre ystrday. Sometimes feels like oversteer when taking hard corner (suspect tie rod)

2) Squeaking sound at rear side when going through bumps (suspect absorber) but absorber still ok when inspected

3) Jerking became quite often nowadays, especially when brake at traffic light and accelerate again. (Suspect spark plugs) but mechanic said ok....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience