Autocross/Gymkhana/Autokhana FAQ

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Version 0.1 (Last updated 13/05/2005, 12.35pm)

Let's start a FAQ for these events. Since we can't really rely on SCCA's Solo guidebook and FAQs.

What is Autocross
Autocross is low to medium speed car racing events. They're normally held at carparks or large open tarmac with the course marked out with cones. Cars are released in single form on the course and timed. A typical course usually includes slaloms.

What is Gymkhana
Gymkhana is very much similar to Autocross except competitors are also required to perform various maneuvers such as circling a cone or pylon or a figure 8 pattern.

What is Autokhana
Autokhana is a precision driving event. Besides navigating the course, competitors are required to perform parking maneuvers and slaloms in both forward motion and reverse.

Feel free to add to the discussion. :)

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Additional FAQ's

Autocross is one of the most affordeable forms of motorsports. Basically all you need is your car and a helmet...however there are several other products that are recommended to enhance your experience.

Helmet

A helmet is your most important piece of safety equipment. All autocrossers will need a helmet. My favorite helmet is one from Ah Seong Motor at RM25 including visor.

Harness Belt

A quality racing harness belt, like some sold by some forummers here, will hold you in the seat MUCH better than factory seat belts will. Without one, you might find yourself using the steering wheel to hold you in place. This is NOT good for car control.

Tire Gauge

A tire gauge is very important for autocrossing since accurate tire pressure is key to good grip.

Racing Seat

The factory seats in most cars offer very little lateral support. Without a race seat (and/or harness belt), you will involuntarily use the steering wheel or other stationary objects in the car for support. This results in an interruption of driver concentration, diminished control of the steering wheel, and body fatigue. A quality seat will hold the driver in a fixed position in the car, thus allowing maximum concentration and feedback through the steering wheel. Some of the more popular seats currently in our market are Recaro, Bride, Sparco, Corbeau, and the local ones SSCUS.

Last edited:

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
lightweighting (usually by emptying out the car)

it's simply crucial for 2 main reasons:
1) safety, can't have anything loose to bang into you during a run OR worse an accident!
2) being lighter, braking, turning/cornering and accelarating is so much better simply because there's less weight to yank around.

so take out your car mats, tissue boxes, CDs, spare wheel, jack, tool-kit, HelloKittys and what-nots in the glovebox! it's the cheapest and effective performance-gain you can do at home :)

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
ninja_iga said:
lightweighting (usually by emptying out the car)

it's simply crucial for 2 main reasons:
1) safety, can't have anything loose to bang into you during a run OR worse an accident!
2) being lighter, braking, turning/cornering and accelarating is so much better simply because there's less weight to yank around.

so take out your car mats, tissue boxes, CDs, spare wheel, jack, tool-kit, HelloKittys and what-nots in the glovebox! it's the cheapest and effective performance-gain you can do at home :)
In other words, look more at him :p

KillerB

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Ok but seriously.... lightening does help a great deal and it's also d cheapest upgrade. Just plan your time on doing it before the event.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Car handling is important in Autocross. Make sure you check the below items before any events:

1. Ensure suspension is in good condition. (make sure absorbers are not leaking)
2. Do your alighment (this is the cheapest mod u can do)
3. Make sure your tyres are properly inflated.
4. Make sure your wheel nuts are tighten.
5. Check all fluids.
6. Check your drive shaft for broken rubber boots.

There is more but I cant think of any right now.

Last edited:

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Check Your Brakes.

As an official during SSO Rounds I notice many people run on the limit of their brake pads. Basically some come with minimal "meat" on their pads.

So this is my suggestion as Good Brakes never hurt anyone.

1. Change your pads if they're worn out
  2. Check your brake master cylinder and hoses for leaks. FIX those leaks
  3. Bleed your brake fluids
  4. Bed-in the new pads.
  5. Don't use use high temp pads that take awhile to get to operating temp. Chances are the first hard braking you're gonna do is 8 seconds after the start so you need pads taht work well from cold
As a addition to Julians no 6 suggestion I think he meant replace the torn boots of your driveshafts:biggrin:

Last edited:

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
faisal said:
As an official during SSO Rounds I notice many people run on the limit of their brake pads. Basically some come with minimal "meat" on their pads.

So this is my suggestion as Good Brakes never hurt anyone.
  1. Change your pads if they're worn out
  2. Check your brake master cylinder and hoses for leaks. FIX those leaks
  3. Bleed your brake fluids
  4. Bed-in the new pads.
  5. Don't use use high temp pads that take awhile to get to operating temp. Chances are the first hard braking you're gonna do is 8 seconds after the start so you need pads taht work well from cold
As a addition to Julians no 6 suggestion I think he meant replace the torn boots of your driveshafts:biggrin:
Wah.... I couldnt even type properly after happy hour. Thanks for highlighting. Tons of typo errors I did there. Must the beer la. Anyway, it is has been edited while I was in sober state.

Faisal is right about the brakes. Many people tend to overlook on checking for brake fluid leaks. Most people only check the brake fluid level.

After checking/topping up engine, brake & power steering fluids, remember to put back the cap. I did a stupid mistake by not putting the engine oil cap back on after topping engine oil at home. It was during July's Autocross and I only noticed it during scrutineering. Oil was freaking everywhere. Fuiyoooo..... Very big mess I made there.

Last edited:

BFC

Dec 3, 2005
I think broquet fuel catalyst can help autocrossers improve their mid range torque.

canken2

1,500 RPM
Mar 18, 2004
PJ
Visit site
faisal said:
Don't use use high temp pads that take awhile to get to operating temp. Chances are the first hard braking you're gonna do is 8 seconds after the start so you need pads taht work well from cold
faisal,

what brake pads do u recommend?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my ae101 windshield got those printed stickers like castrol n sort on it. How to remove? i tried to use scrapper but scared scratch the glass....got any method sifus:_: :_: :_:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience