Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Bought a cheap RM60 2 tonne jack from Giant. On the second use, wanted to change oil filter, during jacking on the front right side of the car, it collapsed and scratch the under carriage and door.

Cost me RM500 to get the car fixed and another RM450 to buy a proper hydraulic jack.

Till now, it's the most f**ked-up decision ever made in my life.
really ah? im also having the giant 2 tonne jack......dammit...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Bought a cheap RM60 2 tonne jack from Giant. On the second use, wanted to change oil filter, during jacking on the front right side of the car, it collapsed and scratch the under carriage and door.

Cost me RM500 to get the car fixed and another RM450 to buy a proper hydraulic jack.

Till now, it's the most f**ked-up decision ever made in my life.
How did it collapse? Did anything break?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
that rm60 jack tends to suddenly loose pressure....

thats why even with expensive proper jack...always use stand when working under car....if got no stand then use wood block/brick or your rims to protect u from being pinned under the car...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
all jacks are for jacking only.. not for long use..

even the expensive ones tends to fail if use for a long time..

i think u can safely be under the jack for only 1 minute :wink:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
really ah? im also having the giant 2 tonne jack......dammit...
Contact this company : Mtis.com.my and get their jack la. Located in Klang. That Mechanic bigass jack is awesome! Been using since I started bigger DIY projects.

Not too expensive too. <RM400

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
i just use the scissor jack...can build up muscle wat.hehehe...

actually i am really bad in jacking up cars.i got experience ruining the under body of my car. :listen:

anyone care to start a new DIY lesson on where is the spot to jack the car? :wavey:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i just use the scissor jack...can build up muscle wat.hehehe...

actually i am really bad in jacking up cars.i got experience ruining the under body of my car. :listen:

anyone care to start a new DIY lesson on where is the spot to jack the car? :wavey:
no need DIY lesson la :biggrin:

lowrider1

Jun 17, 2005
KL
Great topic!

My experience long long ago was adjusting valve tappet clearance on my AE86.. Turned out I picked the wrong gauge to adjust and the gap was simply to big. When I start the engine, it sounds like a diesel engine! lol... Then, I must re-do the whole process all over again. Luckily, nothing was damaged.

ronaldindin

Known Member
Jan 14, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.12bet.com
forgot to put washer when tightening the oil sump bolt during DIY oil change, the same afternoon i noticed some oil dripping on my car porch floor , lo & behold, there i saw my washer lying on the floor, sent to workshop & the guy change my bolt to longer one, problem solve.

During DIY soundproofed my driver's door, put too much insuflex & end up fxxk up my door lock mechanism.
how bad is putting too much insulfex on doors? I wanted to put em on too

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I never trust the the hydraulic jack. big or small. Everytime I need to go underneath, I'll just jack the car up to convenient level and stack few pieces of thick wood to hold the chassis.

Last time doing DIY sound insulation on doors, used 10mm insulflex to cover the whole door. Central lock need 3 attempt to work.
Distort audio sound due to the layer of insulflex behind the door speaker. And the insuflex managed to trap some water too. Lesson learned.
Now I used 6mm insulflex which stick to the panel instead of the door. And a bitumen layer with aluminium foil to cover the hollow door area. No cotton mesh but it works wonder.

Btw, my worst DIY experiment goes to swapping tyre. Was thinking of doing some hard workout when I come across the idea of toying around with my Hilux SR tyres using 2 leaf spring and big tweeter. Managed to replaced the worn out spare tyres with another working one in 1 hour. Bruises all over my palm, few dent on the steel wheel and 2 days of bicep and shoulder's muscle paint.
I guess I f***up myself. Oh! and the worn out tyre look like it had been chewed by a monster dog too. lol.

mosesmk

Known Member
Feb 21, 2012
Selangor
my worst diy..so far nothing big..just recently i upgrade my headlamp wiring using headlamp booster unit..it come without fuse..so i add the fuse link by myself..but the mistake i put only single fuse instead 2..the power in have 2 wire each one for high and low beam..so drove the night i install it, turn on high beam..minutes later no light..lucky my fog light alway on..stop the car at road side change the fuse..next day straight away add another fuse link.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Tried to fix my rad fan wiring yesterday. Blown a fuse or 2 and maybe melted some wire. In the workshop now fixing.

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
how bad is putting too much insulfex on doors? I wanted to put em on too
u can put it, but dont use the thick 10mm one, use 6mm,

for my case, my insuflex prevent my lock linkage to move smoothly, over time it just refuse to lock/unlock

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Owner,

Would appreciate if you could share you precious oldskool, vintage, classic car picture here..

Please keep it clean and comments and etc are not welcome.. this is strickly for pictures only.

Thank your for your co-operation.:adore:

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Copy past from Mr. 1972Mini1000Auto thread, Gorgeous

'66 Dodge Dart 270...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience