help diagnose source of this frustrating sound-AE110

jeremy

Known Member
Nov 12, 2004
kuching-penang
Visit site
Dear toyota brothers and sisters, i'm driving AE110, 5AFE engine. JDM model. recently, there is this irritating sound. from the engine bay, which increases with speed. it is a continuous ticking/clicking sound from the engine area,confirm not from underneath dashboard. it only increases with speed. NOT RPM.tested!. tests: Jack up car. start car on neutral mode. ram RPM, no sound heard. Engage to D mode. sound increases with speed. With tires spinning, switch to neutral mode,sound still audible. stop engine. turn tires using hand. sound audible. checks: a throughout check by dismantling the drive shaft, left and right hand, change shaft boot,re greased. replaced gear box oil seal but to no avail. dismantle RPM cable .sound audible, removed rpm helical gear from Gearbox. upon inspection, gears all perfect. i've refered to several mechanic but still fail to locate the sound. some suggested gearbox overhaul :( could that be the source of sound. one more thing recently found out, when cornering to the left, sound is loudest. straight road, sound is audible. cornering right, sound is much softer. HELP :(

jeremy

Known Member
Nov 12, 2004
kuching-penang
Visit site
definitely not tierod end or brakepads. sound is constant while on the move, doesn't change with terrain condition. brake pads just recently replaced. no signs of brake failure or damage brake components upon visual inspection with tires removed

if wheel bearing damaged, will the sound vary with left,right turns>?

wakdjoko

Known Member
May 22, 2010
KB/JB
hi jeremy,

actually u can send the car to toyota service center to do full DIAGNOSTIC test.

from there u can see what's producing the sound.

i just sent my ae111 96 to toyota center last week and the cost is only rm50 and my 4a-fe is doing great now, just like new engine!!

ps: i have frend there so not worry anymore, ask u'r frens too bro before sending

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
depends..if there is sound audible when turning..maybe driveshaft problem..but i know if there is an audible sound when driving at normal speed, most prob is wheelbearing...not really sure as cannot see the situation..best take back to toyota...sometimes going to those normal workshop, ask u change this n that..that time its time to even face another bigger headache..hehehehe

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
definitely not tierod end or brakepads. sound is constant while on the move, doesn't change with terrain condition. brake pads just recently replaced. no signs of brake failure or damage brake components upon visual inspection with tires removed

if wheel bearing damaged, will the sound vary with left,right turns>?
hey bro, i too strongly think that it is the wheel bearing.. signs of a kaput wheel bearing:

1. wheezing sound when cruising - change to Neutral at a straight road so u can hear it better
2. scratching sound when cruising - same as above, change to N
3. slight clunking or scratching sound when cornering
4. if almost gone, it will vibrate something like when ur top mounting has failed

I dont know if u have check them but it's very easy -- check this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khjK0y6PIw

All the best! :)

Last edited:

jeremy

Known Member
Nov 12, 2004
kuching-penang
Visit site
wakdjoko ,

think i'll go for the full diagnostic test at toyota service centre just to confirm on spoilt components before repairing it at workshop outside.

FGT,

IMO, only 2 possibilities, wheel bearing kaput(hopefully) or gearbox problem (pray hard not this!)

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
hi jeremy,

actually u can send the car to toyota service center to do full DIAGNOSTIC test.

from there u can see what's producing the sound.

i just sent my ae111 96 to toyota center last week and the cost is only rm50 and my 4a-fe is doing great now, just like new engine!!

ps: i have frend there so not worry anymore, ask u'r frens too bro before sending
wkdjoko, can they check the suspension and handling stuff in their full diagnostic check? or is it just thru the ECU readings?

FGT,

IMO, only 2 possibilities, wheel bearing kaput(hopefully) or gearbox problem (pray hard not this!)
all the best bro.. i remember u mentioned that the noise is still there when ur in Neutral so it's leaning more towards kaput bearings.. anyway, do give us more details on the toyota diagnostic when u've done it. I've never brought my car there so far. :)

wakdjoko

Known Member
May 22, 2010
KB/JB
wkdjoko, can they check the suspension and handling stuff in their full diagnostic check? or is it just thru the ECU readings?

at 1st i thought they only did for ecu only but when i take my car, he show me not only result for engine.

i also found my absorber, spring, bushes (all area in suspension system) need to change also.

i know already about my suspension prob but i dont know that most of the parts (expensive parts) need to change also.. n my steering also got prob - i dont know until being told :-)

then i ask the price for suspension repair, ofcoz quite expensive lol.. no new parts, from chop shop also

but before send, i suggest u guys try to ask from their technician 1st.

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
at 1st i thought they only did for ecu only but when i take my car, he show me not only result for engine.

i also found my absorber, spring, bushes (all area in suspension system) need to change also.

i know already about my suspension prob but i dont know that most of the parts (expensive parts) need to change also.. n my steering also got prob - i dont know until being told :-)

then i ask the price for suspension repair, ofcoz quite expensive lol.. no new parts, from chop shop also

but before send, i suggest u guys try to ask from their technician 1st.
that's useful to know..maybe can check with them then later go to other shop to replace parts..hahaha.. (i hope there's no toyota staff here :P )

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
I had the same problem as yours. I just changed the drive shaft on my right side. Now no sound already .. wheel bearing problem

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Your left drive shaft wheel bearing rosak edi .. have to change to new one .. i changed mine for RM280 only ... my dad's friend shop :)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yup...

i strongly agree this came from wheel bearing....since its worsen when taking corner at one side....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Fingers crossed, prayers said and all deeds with the devil signed, let’s hope this time around it isn’t pushed back yet again as a post on Playstation Blog has confirmed that Gran Turismo 5 will be going on sale 24 November.

Sarcasm aside though, even we of little faith have some believe that this time it’s for real as Kazunori Yamauchi, the president of Polyphony Digital, has explained the delay in a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience