RM115k for new Proton R3 or Top Up for DC5

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
eh,just wondering.d 145bhp is measured @ d engine/crank,right?i wonder how wud dis Neo fare against d Club Sport Neo whc come fitted w a roll cage.heard d Club Sport was sold 4 ard RM80K.so,how far shud dis R3 Neo beat d Club Sport Neo 2 justify d RM115K price tag?

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
I think by producing this car, Proton wants to prove a point that since it's lotus edition, the main focus is not engine power...but more relates to what Lotus Engineering specialize in and to follow the concept of other legendary Lotus cars, elise,etc. But this is what the Britons think...thats why Lotus cannot sell at large scale as compared to our beloved Type-R. And thats why Lotus went bankrupt and bought by Proton :stupid:
Either Proton just not realizing that they repeat the mistake or they have other hidden agenda like meeting the production car requirement to participate in certain race or rally. In anyway, Lotus Engineering people still got the credit...I bet Lotus engineers surely laugh at the Malaysians who buy this r3 if they know the price.

Anyway, DC5 is a definite choice :adore:

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Strictly for people who have alot of money and want to setup a proton car museum... :rofl:

I agree WAFS on the production requirement for a race series....

Even with lotus engineering still cannot break the 100hp/liter barrier for NA on the CPS??....haiyaaa....come on la Proton....

If so hard to make 100HP/Liter, then u should of just used the EO1 engine.......wait a minute....u didnt want it in the first place.....:banghead:

No wonder Petronas doesnt want to sponsor Lotus F1 Racing....:biggrin:

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
Its easy to compare numbers like engine output and stuff then throw price into the picture and say, "well that obvious, the lotus r3 neo is overpriced. Gila la, better buy dc5/ep3"....

But lets look at the car for what it is... i think what R3 has developed here is rather nice. Looks nice with the r3 kit, CF hood, lotus design and livery. Its british racing green btw. The upgrades have also been tastefully done. The fully adjustable ohlins, hard rubber bushing, the AP racing brakes, new wheels and rubber.... this car will sure be a blast in corners, out-braking evos and the likes. Klua corner lain cerita. Engine... ok, r3 was limited to what the campro can do. But again its been tastefully done. New engine mgmt, new cams, pullyes, CF intake with K&N, titanium headers and new exhaust. Again, nicely done i would say with quality stuff going in...

But the operative word here is limited edition and i hope they keep it that way.... So, kudos to r3 on developing this, at least its a step in the right direction....

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
i think this RM115k price of this so called limited sartia neo will be justified if it has Type-R K20, 220hp engine and 6 speed close ratio gearbox inside. If Waja can be installed with SR20 engine, why can't this car be R&D with Honda K-series engine? Engineering works in Malaysia are almost as good as other places in the world so custom mountings shouldn't be an issue. Just imagine the stiff hatch chassis of Neo powered by the torquey K20A gunning down SIC corners. Marvelous wei! Someone need to look into this as we all know the limitations of Campro engine....Why not make this special/limited edition, more special?
It is a special / limited edition, as R3 has plans to make 25 units of the Satria Neo R3 Lotus Racing Edition. But for RM 115k, many will be thinking better get DC5, RX-8, Evo 7, R34, S15, Subaru V7, etc as these cars are under the category too.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
.... this car will sure be a blast in corners, out-braking evos and the likes. Klua corner lain cerita.
My "Wira aeroback 1.3 trueno" could outbreak Evo's at Sepang :biggrin: .....But I wasnt going very fast to begin with.....which will be the same with this Neo....haha

But I agree with you, it is pretty and looks the part....but thats pretty much it....

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Limited Edition is always overpriced, in my opinion. Take Honda Civic Mugen RR for example, 300 units only world wide and selling for over RM 300k. The spec wise I'm not too sure but looks like more or less the same with FD2R (ignore the bodykit), over 200 bhp but FD2R only RM 199,800.00

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Limited Edition is always overpriced, in my opinion. Take Honda Civic Mugen RR for example, 300 units only world wide and selling for over RM 300k. The spec wise I'm not too sure but looks like more or less the same with FD2R (ignore the bodykit), over 200 bhp but FD2R only RM 199,800.00
I think you're absolutely right on this point. If taken this point into consideration then the price is right for a limited edition 25 units.

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
Why can't they put the Satria S2000 engine into this! It'll be the perfect beast! hehehe...

These cars will be really hot in the market just as what the SGTi did. Be expected a lot of break in and people marking to hijack your car and strip your goodies.

At the end of the say, its a nice exclusive car to distinguish between normal road satria neo and a performance bred satria neo. Nice package overall, could be better (ie: S2000 NA engine producing 280hp). Would seriously get the attention of the entire world and perhaps even Jeremy clarkson will test drive and evaluate the mini beast....

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
Quite baffled why some of you even bother to compare DC5 with the Neo Lotus.. night and day diff lar.. Yes, at RM115k it is pricey for a mere 145hp lukewarm hatch. Some will say with the brakes and adjustables alone justifies the asking price. Honestly I think the car can make do without the expensive brakes.. and they could opt for a cheaper adjustables solution to cut the cost down. And why not opt for a turbocharged cps, since they are already en route with it (they tested on exora). the nappa leather seats can also changed to recaro with customized lotus-esque fabric. Make the car churn out at least 185 ponies, sell at RM100k to give swift sport and cooper s a run for their money.. :slug:

takashi24

Feb 23, 2006
I would buy the R3 Neo LE IF the RM 115k has

1) the Campro tune up to same B16B level which is 185bhp @ 8000rpm doing 0-100km/h at sub 6~7sec
2) CF bucket seat like Subaru S204 or Mugen RR frm Recaro
3) Forged Lightweight Rim from RAYS like Nismo R34 Z-tune
4) Momo steering like DC5R
5) Titanium shift knob
6) CF look panel like TRD sport Vios

Else; I would rather buy 2003 used DC5R where has Type R reputation and gain every boy racer respect rather worry ppl misunderstood (especially Auntie, Uncle & gal who noob in automobile) you just driving another Neo CPS with green custom paint, replica R3 bodykit fitted with AP racing BBK. Whereby in the real case you drive this Limited Edition and paying extra rm60k for it. N worst case is....anytime kena smoke by Honda car which has red engine top in it. From EF until DC2R, DC5R & FD2R.

Sigh.....

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

(ie: S2000 NA engine producing 280hp).
Correction: F20C / F22C only produce 250ps.

By the way, Proton should really consider put turbo in it since they already got the tech test in Exora just like beatnik said.

145bhp really ntg to shout about especially B16B able perform 185ps back in 1997 when first intro which is 13 years ago.

For me, if want consider NA performance car....Mr Honda's car always in the top buying list if you not willing pay high road tax. Hehe.

Last edited:

MatK

Jul 8, 2009
if i really love the look, i'd get a normal neo cps now. wait another 3 months, the so-called limited edition r3 bodykit will be available at all brother's outlets thruout the nation.

and yes, OEW1 was a good engine. i remember when it was first launched, they said the power was like Evo4 engine but 1.8cc.

p/s: i'm watching nico & schumey doing donuts at binjai!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Do you guys know any good experience foreman that know how to do all the setup on adjustable suspension and arm. Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience