To take care of turbo engine

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
Whats important is.. the engine oil n water... in order to do so.. you need something to monitor them b4 its already too late... if you add a turbo from which ur car did not hav any... it is advisable to install a few gauges 1st...

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
how about running the car while the engine still cold?
Think about engine like your body. How do you feel to go jogging the second you woke up in the morning?

iczmage

Dec 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I've heard that it's advisable to clean out the turbo. What does that actually mean? Is it cleaning the filter or the turbine itself? And also what is the optimum time to set for a turbo timer?

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I've heard that it's advisable to clean out the turbo. What does that actually mean? Is it cleaning the filter or the turbine itself? And also what is the optimum time to set for a turbo timer?
I don't think you can clean the turbo itself. Unless you are taking it off to be rebuilt. As long as turbo is in good condition, no smoke, no shaft play, no oil sip, no winding noise, you should be good. Just make sure change engine oil frequently, because the engine oil in the engine is what going through the turbo to lubricate the ball-bearing/journal.

Definitely need to keep the air filter clean. Imagine breathing through a dirty respirator versus a clean one. Same concept.

The turbo timer today has built in features that calculate your driving time and load, then it set the turbo timer base on that conditions. Other wise, 5-10 minutes for "normal" driving, more for track or "hard" driving. Basically the longer the better.

I do believe if you take good care of the engine or turbo,you will get what you deserved in return. Just like your body :)

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Guys, for turbo cars is it better to run a slightly thicker or thinner oil? I dont have a turbo car, just asking for fun haha :biggrin:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Haha nolah dude, im going for N/A at the moment :)
Waiting for $$ to buy DCOE Webers... :evil:

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
LittleWhiteWagon:
better get the intake manifold for the side-draft carbie 1st lar...after that weber...^^

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

this one...hehe

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
LittleWhiteWagon:
better get the intake manifold for the side-draft carbie 1st lar...after that weber...^^

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

this one...hehe

Waaaah, is that for my GA16 engine? :biggrin:
Bugger christmas coming up and you want me to spend more money on the car again, hahaha. Yeah, i've been thinking bout a custom manifold...

alphangadan

Apr 20, 2006
Kuching
I have recently rebuilt my turbo. At the mean time I'm using a CA18DET turbo for my 4AGZE. Is it ok to use it directly like drag without the power intake? I'm driving it daily. Also can I wash my Apexi Power Filter with water.

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We can’t get enough of the new BMW M5 F10 and after the static shots of it hit the interwebs, we now have some rolling footage of the super-sedan taking to the course, with a few seconds of mandatory hoonage just because it’s an M5.

Although most of the video consists of the M5 just cruising around the tight course, as we mentioned, there’s a few seconds where it’s let loose. You get to hear the twin-turbo...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience