The mighty 2jz or The legendary RB26

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
Bump: oh ya when it come to engine mods theres always the issue of RM...rb26 or 2jz...hmmmm
to get the exact amount of power lets say 600 bhp...in a rb26 i think we have to spend double the RM compared to 2jz
2jz no need to build engine for 600hp. rb26 wont last long running 600hp with stock engine hehe

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i vote for RB.. 2J sucks.. dont buy.. leave them to me... thanks
LOL reverse psychology!

Bro, if you don't mind sharing based on your experience - what you've found to be the key strengths and possibly unknown (to us RB owners maybe) weaknesses of the 2JZ throughout your build? I know everyone says that 2JZs are bombproof but what are first things to give way/fail once you start to chase monster HP? For example, our RB oil pumps aren't that great etc.

I wouldn't dream of asking for specifics, we all know most keep details close to their chest. But since you're the King Of Supras, I'm sure you have lots to tell. Foreign based forums are boring cause lack the local flavor. :driver:

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com
2jz no need to build engine for 600hp. rb26 wont last long running 600hp with stock engine hehe
Agreed......minimum spending+strong block =value for $$$$$$....hmmm

Bump: if im not mistaken....the NA 2jz head has better flow compared to the turbocharged engn

Bump: if im not mistaken....the NA 2jz head has better flow compared to the turbocharged engn

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi....correct me if im wrong Toyota outsourced the building of the 2jz engine and trans to the Germans in order to compete with the rb26..I feel a proper build RWD can outsprint a 4WD (0-400m) if we put the supra side by side with the 34gtr.. (just for direct comparison(drag race)
Getrag makes the gearboxes for both GTR and Supras. Naturally there are differences but if anyone knows the ratios would be cool to compare. Engine I'm not sure, but IIRC Yamaha made the head for the 1JZs but whether this was same deal with 2JZ only a Supra fan could tell us.

Stock vs stock the GTR would beat the Supra in a quarter mile race. Once you start modifying, well then its a different story. Are we talking about street driven, road tires but high HP or pure drag cars with slicks, parachutes etc? I believe that in street trim, if a GTR and Supra were equaly modified and ran same compound tires then definately the GTR's launch would almost always give it the advantage - driver ability aside.

Bump: The cost of building a 600hp RB26 or 2JZ very much depends on what parts you use. Can spend obscene amounts if you insist only on branded parts from Japan or can get just as good a setup for much less. It all depends on the wallet.

Let's assume both cars are 100% stock standard. What parts do you guys reckon the RB26 and 2JZ need for 600hp (engine or at the wheels?). We can see what sort of estimates people come up with.

Bump: The cost of building a 600hp RB26 or 2JZ very much depends on what parts you use. Can spend obscene amounts if you insist only on branded parts from Japan or can get just as good a setup for much less. It all depends on the wallet.

Let's assume both cars are 100% stock standard. What parts do you guys reckon the RB26 and 2JZ need for 600hp (engine or at the wheels?). We can see what sort of estimates people come up with.

omaroDDin

Known Member
Dec 25, 2006
haha.... RB26DETT is by far the best engine out there. ;)
no other can compare. muahaha

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
what an interesting topic to pop up, especially at a time when I'm half comtemplating of buying a Supra...would need to do lots more research still, but I like what Ive seen so far. basically comparing 2 inline-6 engines, only thing 2jz has higher displacement... Not too much of a tech junkie but I think i'll vote for 2jz, coz of stronger stock internals. Performance wise, none is better than the other coz it all depends on how well they are tuned, modded, and taken care of... end of the day, they r both man made marvels...

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Nice...due the nature of a 4wd car which will distribute the extra torque to the front thus creating wheel spin at the front distubing the weight disribution (comes in suddene and hard) where else a rear wheel car will distribute all its power to the rear thus distributing the whole weight of the car (depends on suspension set up at the rear..some say the oem susp is good enough due to its softness) to the rear wheels ,ths makes the car squat(pressing onto the rear wheels) making the tyres stick to the ground(helps traction..depending on tyre compound/side wall) and slingshot the car to a quick time (0-400m)...oh ya they do make good tyres for street/track nowdays

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
actually to be frank, both RB and 2JZ are bloody lazy engines at stock form... both engine has potentials and can extend as far your pocket can afford... but 2JZ has stronger internals. In the states, some are able to run 900hp on stock internals.... as for RB26... i heard and witnessed a few that failed at 600... so RB owners gotta have deeper pockets..... but somehow, if u compare 1J with RB25... well, ask ceffy owners.. they'll let u know their preferences ;)

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Actually its true what you've said about the stock suspension. I used to know a couple of guys with R32GTRs back in Perth who would run stock rear suspension but slightly stiffer aftermarket ones up front. Worked pretty well too, cause one ran easy 12's with very basic mods and the other 11's naturally with more work done. I remember the early days of experimenting - trying various tire pressures but the best was this guy who had a few stacks of scrap paper in his boot ROFL.

The GTR will still 'squat' however since its not full time 4wd until its beloved attessa works its magic. The weight doesn't really shift to the front when you accelerate forward would it? When you brake the weight pitches forward instead kan?

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
yup the gtr will squat but not for long as the power will be distributed to the front taking away the pressure from the back...the weight doesnt shift to the front but what happens is bcoz of the 4wd power will be distributed near perfect to all the wheels this will lead to not enough weight shifted to the rear...remember the rear will come into play first then the front ...so by the time the front can compensate for the lost of traction at the rear it will be too late...its about split sec in drag racing...no doubt there are 6/7sec gtr but the record holder is still a rear wheel drive car

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
I don't understand. Why is weight being at the rear so important?

Drag racing is all about getting the power to the ground, as fast as possible and with as much forward traction as can be achieved in order to cover the distance in the shortest elapsed time. That's what the ATTESA system does. It distributes torque to all four wheels as fast as possible. Shouldn't the system be expected to overcome whatever weight distribution issues, etc therefore getting power to all four wheels?

Granted, all the fastest drag cars are RWD but those that do the 400m dash in 7secs and faster can barely be called cars. I'm more interested in comparing real road driven cars - fast, modified but still streetable, not tube frame chassis, etc or top fuel dragsters. The type you might run into on NKVE or something hahah

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
Eh i thought this 2J vs RB26 topic?hehehe

Bro PIMPIN,

WHY?Still confusing yea hehe.This is Physic, Newton`s Law....we called it INERTIA
"objects at rest tend to stay at rest."

It`s same feeling once u take corner/turn, Eg: turn left,but ur car weight/body shifting to right side.So the accelaration of car will shift most weight to the rear~

I would say ATTESA-Pro on BNR34 is smart torque distributor by reducing wheel spinning to all wheels.From stand point 20:80 then 30:70 then 40:60.On BNR32 is fix 40:60...so they need aftermarket torque distributor to adjust it.

By PULL or PUSH law, FR is more advantage rather than FF which happen losing traction since wheel spinning regardless their HP.On the other hands, AWD is HEAVY with those extra longshaft,driveshaft and gearbox but would be solve by POWER to Weight ratio.

:)

omaroDDin

Known Member
Dec 25, 2006
aiya. u guys still thinking which is the best ar?
see the ultimate 6 inline challenge which is participated by the mine's GTR n the monster supra.
2jz is memang power but its not as stable if compared to the rb. :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys,

Anyone know how much would Clifford Blackjax PLUS two way alarm cost?

Anywhere can recommend to install with reasonable price?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience