look to the future:burnout:

Bump: all motor rules !!:thefinger:

whatever la, why la compare NA with turbo:sleep:
all old combustion engines, go for Hybrid or electric car
look to the future:burnout:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
:listen:I like to get smoked by turbo cars coz i'm not pressing my civic... let them know i'm :slug: :rofl:

Last edited:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Wasting my fuel ... Its not i'm gonna get a trophy at the end of the day anyway... I drive to enjoy the ride, not to smoke them turbo car owners.

Hartge

Nov 4, 2005
Experience with a 2.2L 200hp Vtec and a 2.5L 280hp turbo , i would say it would really depends on your preference.

Of course , the turbocharged car has plenty of torque , but the car actually aint that fast , ( the 2.5 feels like a 4 litre NA engine ), whilst the Vtec while doenst has the torque anywhere near that level , is actually quite an agile car.

Being a non-professional driver ( newbie ) with absolutely no professional training , like myself , i think the Vtec is a much easier car to drive , perhaps due to the FF config , just to control the throttle slightly as the torque is not enough to cause any major issues. whilst the turbo , gotta be gentle on the throttle or might get a fishtail while powering out of a corner.

With both being stock engines , i havent explore the option of cost involved for upgrading to certain power level . But as for regular maintenance , i would say the Vtec (H22a ) engine is almost bulletproof , with no major issue experienced in my past 3 years + of driving. While the turbo would like to have leaks here and there.

Fuel Consumption wise , you have to give the Vtec some respect , being a heavy footer myself, i could actaully manage to clock around 9km/litre for mixed driving ( usually rev to around 5k rpm b4 changing gear with occasional 7.5k rpm ) highway speed ard 180-190 cruising.

the turbo in the otherhand , would struggle to get a meagre 6 to 6.5km/litre for mixed driving , If really pedal to the metal kind of driving , the FC would be even worst, rm 100 for less than 200km anyone ? :biggrin:

So in the end , it would still all boils down to what are you looking for in a car , Turbo and Vtec has different characteristics and shd not be put together in comparison . ( HOW to compare APPLE to DURIAN ? )

But if given a choice , i would rather have the INSTANT NON-LAG NA power. Too bad Road Tax for High Displacement car in Msia are too expensive. Dont shoot me :biggrin: , just for example , ( given a chance of a 400hp NA engine (maybe a 5litre v8 ? ) vs a 400HP turbo ( could be done with any tuned turbo engine ) i would Pick the NA engine anytime. :itsme:

helvetica

Jan 11, 2009
Do you guys know how much does it costs to tune a GT NSX ? It costs alot !

But practical daily driving cars, turbo is a good platform. My brother has a volvo 2.0T and it owns in the sense of comfort and acceleration and top speed. Even BMW loses to that.

What Im sayin is turbo is much better in the right hands :) And turbo has NO limit to tune it power, and that's THAT !

Bump: Do you guys know how much does it costs to tune a GT NSX ? It costs alot !

But practical daily driving cars, turbo is a good platform. My brother has a volvo 2.0T and it owns in the sense of comfort and acceleration and top speed. Even BMW loses to that.

What Im sayin is turbo is much better in the right hands :) And turbo has NO limit to tune it power, and that's THAT !

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
What do you mean by tune? Any tune would be roughly the same regardless whether it is N/A or Turbo... Depends on the tuner. Unless you're talking about the parts involved to modify it to get power, then its my bad:biggrin:

Yes you spend a lot of money to get 300hp on N/A rather than Turbocharging. But we have to respect people who wants to achieve that Naturally Aspirated instead of busting their hopes down. Ofcourse we could give them opinions whereby turbocharging would be the cheapest way to go but we could also help them out on how to achieve their targets N/A....

Btw, as a summary of all the pages: Turbo or N/A is a matter of preference.

Cheers...

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Yes its wise to buy a supercar in the first place... But it is great to mod a car from grounds up...

There are reasons why people mod cars and i'm not sure you have reached that level of thinking yet. It's challenging to extract power outta N/A than it is to extract from a turbo but each gets challenging and expensive once you've reached its limit and trying to extract more outta it.

Sorry to digress the topic away 5115. Well atleast there was a point where we weren't even talking about VTEC but NA and Turbo in general hehe. There's good info here but also a lot of misinformation too... Not sure whether moderators are gonna lock this topic though...

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
So speaking out of curiosity, because this thread has suddenly become interesting, how come helvetica's name isn't AMG_AMG, interesting huh?

:idea:

So as i gather from the recent posts... Making a skyline and supra output 900bhp safely costs less than getting 250bhp out of a low capacity NA engine, never mind vtec or not? Not sure about that.

While the costs may be very different and the gains aren't fantastic at least an NA engine will always be streetable. 900bhp is not very easy to control even on track. But then again what do i know, i drive a vtec :S

Last edited:

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
not sure which thread u r refering bro,but i strongly belif

cheap
powerful
reliable

u could only choose 2

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifus,

lately my manual gearbox having problem. can't stay at 5th gear. if push to 5th gear, it wont lock-in properly. after a while, it goes back to neutral. fyi, it's manual 2 wheel gearbox not the 4wd locked , running on evo1 engine.

any idea what would be the problem? syncro? any place recommended to repair rather than change the whole gearbox?

appreciate your help

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience