DIY -Retoration of head lamps like new !

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Marvelous..So , what substances that actually stick to the plastic headlamp??...Thank You Very Much:adore::adore:

wch5274

Oct 17, 2008
walau wehhhh....
thats 2 nice...... :proud:
good idea.... using sand paper mean we r throwing some layer of glass??? r we??
can it be done to waja.... quite jealouse with u lah :adore:

UltimateShine

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.ultimateshine.com.my
what substances that actually stick to the plastic headlamp??..
You may use Car Compound for heavy swirls, dull and yellowish lamps.

or

Car Polishing cream for mid to mild swirls and not so heavy hazy lamps

and

a layer of glaze or best still with plastic sealant to seal off the plastic panel so that your head lamps is protecting against Ultra Violet Ray (UV Ray) and minimise the scratches.

Merry Christmas !

best wishes from
www.ultimateshine.com.my

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
You may use Car Compound for heavy swirls, dull and yellowish lamps.

or

Car Polishing cream for mid to mild swirls and not so heavy hazy lamps

and

a layer of glaze or best still with plastic sealant to seal off the plastic panel so that your head lamps is protecting against Ultra Violet Ray (UV Ray) and minimise the scratches.

Merry Christmas !

best wishes from
www.ultimateshine.com.my
Erm , i mean the layer that makes it dull..sorry

Bump:
i tried using brasso on my headlamps.. it doesn't work.. i didn't sand it 1st tho
Wah , where you get this idea from..i thought brasso is only to shine metals ?..

UltimateShine

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.ultimateshine.com.my
using sand paper mean we r throwing some layer of glass??? r we??
can it be done to waja....
Restoration can be done on any polycarbonate(hard and flexi plastic) head lamp which i believe your Waja lamps are also the same material.

How to identify if it is polycarbonate ? :listen: just knock with your finger and you'll hear the hard plastic sound, otherwise its made of glass :biggrin:

Most car manufacturer using polycarbonate plastic for head lamps since 1995 for cost saving, better clarity and not easily breakable(coz polycarbonate is a kind of very hard but flexi plastic)

the professional radio control car body like kyosho are mostly made of Polycarbonate !:driver:

Bump:
i tried using brasso on my headlamps.. it doesn't work.. i didn't sand it 1st tho
I am not sure if brasso is petroluem based, if yes then it make more harm then good to your lamps as it will melt your plastic to a certain extent, just polish with compound (for heavy swirl) or polishing cream will do. :itsme:

xand

Known Member
Apr 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
1) Wash headlamp with soapy water then dry.
2) Put masking tape to cover the headlamp surrounding to avoid scratches to those areas.
3) Apply Polishing Compound or Polishing Cream to the headlamp, then polish with 1,500 grit sand paper.
4) Repeat apply polishing compound/cream while polishing with sand paper, and final with 2,500 girt sand paper.
5) Wipe and buff off the polished residue with a piece of clean microfiber cloth.

Are the steps correct, especially Step 3 and Step 4?
Guess the polishing compound/cream act as a 'lubricant' for the sand paper for polishing, right? If not, sure the sand paper will damage the headlamp's surface...

Last edited:

UltimateShine

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.ultimateshine.com.my
1) Are the steps correct, especially Step 3 and Step 4?
Guess the polishing compound/cream act as a 'lubricant' for the sand paper for polishing, right? If not, sure the sand paper will damage the headlamp's surface...
:listen:

3) sand with 1,500 and final with 2,500 girt sand paper to remove swirls, scratches and yellowish layer.

4.) Polish to remove the fine swirls left after 2,500 grit sanding.

5.) final protection with layer(s) of glaze or sealant .

xand

Known Member
Apr 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
thanks for making it clear.. my kelisa headlamp having same problem too, tout of replacing with new headlamps, but guess i got another option n save my wallet if this works.

epitBDL

Known Member
Aug 15, 2007
great diy!just wondering..is it as easy as it look?i'll definitely try on my headlight.was thinking to clear coat after finishing...what r your opinion?better to clearcoat or not...:driver:

UltimateShine

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.ultimateshine.com.my
I am not sure if clear coat will peal off after sometime on the Plastic lamps and worst still if the spray work is not perfect. ie : orange peel effect which cause the lamp does not focus on the right spots like OEM standard. :hmmmm:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
I am not sure if clear coat will peal off after sometime on the Plastic lamps and worst still if the spray work is not perfect. ie : orange peel effect which cause the lamp does not focus on the right spots like OEM standard. :hmmmm:
i have a same tot as well...

wishleo

Dec 5, 2006
I wander aftre the process how long will its last before its will dull again... any bros hv experience can advise..?:confused:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Lubricants
Brand: elf

Elf Molygraphite 15w50 engine oil 4 liter RM 75
Elf Molygraphite 15w50 engine oil 5 liter RM 91

Exclusive lubricant technology incorporates solid lubricants of graphite and molybdenum disulphite, ensures your engine stays clean and operates at max efficiency, resulting in longer engine life.

Elf Molygraphite 10w30 engine oil 3 liter RM 51
Elf Synthetic Pro 10w50 4 liter RM 161

Also available: Air feel ionizer RM128.00
(quickly and effectively: 30 seconds...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience