Too much Negative Offset Wheels = Slight Wheel Vibration ?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Dear All,

As mentioned above, i want to know the whether too much negative offset in OEM wheels can cause tire vibrations. Current car is an E46 318ci with stock undercarriage. Wheel hub is still using stock and standard which sits quite inside the fender. Current wheels are OEM 17" with ET37 offset. My mechanic already gave me a preamp that i will experience slight vibration and on-wheel balancing can only reduce it but not cure it completely. As he said, i did feel slight vibrations randomly at any speed depending on road conditions.

Should i change back to wheels within my 318ci spec or there's something wrong with my car ? For guys who didn't know my car, its running on 1JZGTE engine with custom driveshaft using Toyota Crown's and E46 flange to rear axle with 3.46 differential.
Yes but when we tried with regular hub centric ring, the wheels couldn't fit. The difference between the wheel bore is only by 2 mm so we have to manually shave off the extra metal to fit the wheels in completely.

there goes your answer...

there is bullshit reason wrong wheel offset = vibrate... nope.. dont ever believe that...

the reason wheel vibrate:
-damaged wheel (bent/wobble)
-damaged tyre (wire inside broken/out of balance)
-damaged wheel bearing
-wrong hubcentric fitment <--- your real reason by manually shaving that wheel/hub area to fit...making it even worse....dont pour money somewhere else... settle this properly, then the vibration issue will be gone for good

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Something like this, my stock 318ci lug nut is M12, while the wheels itself is M14, i have to custom a lug nut spacer just to make sure the lug nut fit in the holes completely. Those spacers actually eliminated 90% of the vibration issue but my mechanic pre-amped me the tyres are too far out, almost stick out of the fender, so i will definitely feel some vibrations.

u really need hubcentric

either like this to convert from bolt in M12 screw into M14 stud to fix the wheel

or use 1 big center cone to keep the wheel center in the hub along with those "m12 to m14 lugnut bushing"

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
there goes your answer...

there is bullshit reason wrong wheel offset = vibrate... nope.. dont ever believe that...

the reason wheel vibrate:
-damaged wheel (bent/wobble)
-damaged tyre (wire inside broken/out of balance)
-damaged wheel bearing
-wrong hubcentric fitment <--- your real reason by manually shaving that wheel/hub area to fit...making it even worse....dont pour money somewhere else... settle this properly, then the vibration issue will be gone for good
My issue is there's no hub centric ring suitable for either the car or rim. The vibrations happened on 160-180 km/h (electronic limited)

I am currently loaning a properly spec rim to fit on the E46 and test it again. High chances are the vibrations will go away. Hope for the best.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
u really need hubcentric

either like this to convert from bolt in M12 screw into M14 stud to fix the wheel

or use 1 big center cone to keep the wheel center in the hub along with those "m12 to m14 lugnut bushing"
This is also my consideration, however, my wheels are already very far out and align with fender, if further away from the car body and i will need wide body kit

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
This is also my consideration, however, my wheels are already very far out and align with fender, if further away from the car body and i will need wide body kit
I think you can get the center cone for your rim.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
or last resort... look for some proper fitting rims
I am doing this now, traded rims and tyre for another set of 18' rims and tyres. I am lucky enough to get it loan first before purchasing. Will be fitting it this month, wish me luck.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think you can get the center cone for your rim.
Yup, should be able to. Mine made of aluminum. If no size, the tyre shop can measure and get machine shop to machine a set for him. Earlier days I did that, nowadays most are ready made....

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yup, should be able to. Mine made of aluminum. If no size, the tyre shop can measure and get machine shop to machine a set for him. Earlier days I did that, nowadays most are ready made....
Even 1.5 mm diameter hub centric ring can be made ?

leinnz

Known Member

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
you can always visit precision factory and custom made one for you

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Just came back from fitting a new set of rims with busted old tyres of mine that i am still keep it for emergency use, thank god i am still keeping it so i can immediately put it to use. I speed up to 190 km/h just now, looks like the rear seat vibration is rectified and now mostly is the steering wheel vibration due to this old tyres can't be well balanced anymore. The centre bore is very tight fitting without the need of centre hub ring. I will fit in new 18' tyres this weekend and have another round of proper test driving. Hopefully this will solve the issue once and for all. {Picture below for the rim i am using. It's from a BMW X3.

Attachments

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys... i need apexi RSM wiring diagram... does any1 knows where i can get it?? i think is older type of Apexi RSM.. the RSM hav 4 buttons1.. got 11 wires... any1 can help where can i get the wiring diagram?? thanks :tee:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience