Society Newbie seeking for help! Myvi or Iriz?

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019
Dear Z2H forum-ians, good day!
I am a drop-off who just got a work in KLIA, and I stayed in Serdang so approximately I will drove 100km+/- per day in average.

I own a lemon Savvy 1.2 Lite MT, it is a very good car to drive, good gearshift due to the magnetti marelli gearbox and shifter, but other than that- it is disastrous in QC. It is a car inherited from my family, being a school bus when I'm a kid.

So what is the problem I have in my savvy?
- Whenever it rains heavily, or drive through some water puddle, water will splash into the crank position sensor. If that happens, small case would be fucked up engine timing where the car jerk all the way until it "unclogs" itself. big case, no need start, need to wait until water drys off.
- I'm not sure is it caused by my overenthusiastic driving but it is recording stupid FC. Averaging 10km to 11km per liter on highway, worst is 8km per liter. Engine oil also seems to be consuming in an abnormal rate. So safe to say either the valve seal/piston ring already gave up. BTW my car mileage is 140k-km, from 2009.
-Stupid QC problems where the door handle and drawer handle, air-cond twist knob broke off. It can be very annoying.
-Suspension's rubber bushing torn. Not much of an issue, just OCD in it.

Among all of those reasons, I feel like wanted to get a new car to replace this Savvy. With my own effort to pay the loan and what not. So I am aiming, a brand new 1.3 manual Iriz or a Second hand 1.5 manual lagi best Myvi.

I wanted a fun to drive daily runabout car, that are reliable and good gearshift. It is not going to be a track weapon, but a touge fun car or road hoonigan where hog the fast lane until the car run out of steam.

So can fellow sifu's entertain me, what car should I choose or should I repair the lemon instead?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So what is the problem I have in my savvy?
- Whenever it rains heavily, or drive through some water puddle, water will splash into the crank position sensor. If that happens, small case would be fucked up engine timing where the car jerk all the way until it "unclogs" itself. big case, no need start, need to wait until water drys off.
- I'm not sure is it caused by my overenthusiastic driving but it is recording stupid FC. Averaging 10km to 11km per liter on highway, worst is 8km per liter. Engine oil also seems to be consuming in an abnormal rate. So safe to say either the valve seal/piston ring already gave up. BTW my car mileage is 140k-km, from 2009.
-Stupid QC problems where the door handle and drawer handle, air-cond twist knob broke off. It can be very annoying.
-Suspension's rubber bushing torn. Not much of an issue, just OCD in it.
- That one easy. Just get a Orsen undercarriage shield and that will block the water splashes.
- That's really bad FC bro. But is yours a manual or auto? Have you completely serviced the car inside and out?
- Those things is because the car is old. Replace the bits and bobs with new parts, simple.
- Replace with Superpro!

Among all of those reasons, I feel like wanted to get a new car to replace this Savvy. With my own effort to pay the loan and what not. So I am aiming, a brand new 1.3 manual Iriz or a Second hand 1.5 manual lagi best Myvi.

I wanted a fun to drive daily runabout car, that are reliable and good gearshift. It is not going to be a track weapon, but a touge fun car or road hoonigan where hog the fast lane until the car run out of steam.

So can fellow sifu's entertain me, what car should I choose or should I repair the lemon instead?
Between the two, get a Myvi 1.5L manual. Lagi best is the better of the Myvis except the newest one. I like the lagi best Myvis best even though I hate Myvis.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
- That one easy. Just get a Orsen undercarriage shield and that will block the water splashes.
- That's really bad FC bro. But is yours a manual or auto? Have you completely serviced the car inside and out?
- Those things is because the car is old. Replace the bits and bobs with new parts, simple.
- Replace with Superpro!

Between the two, get a Myvi 1.5L manual. Lagi best is the better of the Myvis except the newest one. I like the lagi best Myvis best even though I hate Myvis.
Who are you and why are you inpersonating Izso to recommend Myvi ?

Reactions: vr2turbo

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
- Replace with Superpro!

Osren shield not cheap right? Savvy is re-badged Renault, is it worth doing up especially with Superpro stuff. Oh, he did say MT.......lol

"I like the lagi best Myvis best even though I hate Myvis.".....:rofl: :rofl:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
if we're talking maintenance expenses in the long run, get the new iriz manual. you'll get warranty. but the new facelift version not my taste. LOL.

the used myvi might gonna be a hit and miss kind of thing since you're gonna be buying it "USED". maybe will get problem, maybe not. really depends on luck.

also, i think your savvy needs an overhaul. your other parts can still find from halfcut or sparepart shop NOS. the sensor issue, can install splash shield for undercarriage shield like @Izso mention. roughly if fixing including the overhaul will cost you around 5k-ish i think. about the amount of your downpayment for the new car.

the choice is yours. :marchmellow:

Reactions: Ceejay3196

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I wont recommend new, get a 1-3 year old car. Since u r getting the manual, fun car will be the Iriz 1.6 , the 1.3 is fun but its always better to get bigger engine.
Peace of mind choice will be Myvi. Iriz is dirt cheap for what it offers. However finding a used 1.6 M is super hard.

Why i dont recommend new car for first time buyer as thats the usual mistake almost all fresh grad with normal income make. Spend soo much on cars which will be regretted 3-5years down the road.

Reactions: alcyon

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I wont recommend new, get a 1-3 year old car. Since u r getting the manual, fun car will be the Iriz 1.6 , the 1.3 is fun but its always better to get bigger engine.
Peace of mind choice will be Myvi. Iriz is dirt cheap for what it offers. However finding a used 1.6 M is super hard.

Why i dont recommend new car for first time buyer as thats the usual mistake almost all fresh grad with normal income make. Spend soo much on cars which will be regretted 3-5years down the road.
Agreed to this, that's why my family never buy new cars, saved so much money just in the down payment part and overall expenses. Generally 3 years old car are still good to be reliable unless its a serious lemon. Getting a used car which you can pay with hand cash also a good idea. Someone in this forum bought a Wira at about MYR8,000, and car is pretty good despite the age and tech. Its a good start for first car, minimal maintenance needed and loads of fun.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Who are you and why are you inpersonating Izso to recommend Myvi ?
I still said I hated Myvis la.

Osren shield not cheap right? Savvy is re-badged Renault, is it worth doing up especially with Superpro stuff. Oh, he did say MT.......lol
It's about RM400-500 ish.

if we're talking maintenance expenses in the long run, get the new iriz manual. you'll get warranty. but the new facelift version not my taste. LOL.

the used myvi might gonna be a hit and miss kind of thing since you're gonna be buying it "USED". maybe will get problem, maybe not. really depends on luck.
Yeah but the Iriz manual is only 1.3. The 1.6L is a better drive and still CVT. Also the Iriz looks like a giant Onigiri.

And yeah, Myvis have notoriously bad aircon systems. If ceejay3196 wants to buy make sure the damn aircon works in the hot afternoon.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I still said I hated Myvis la.

It's about RM400-500 ish.

Yeah but the Iriz manual is only 1.3. The 1.6L is a better drive and still CVT. Also the Iriz looks like a giant Onigiri.

And yeah, Myvis have notoriously bad aircon systems. If ceejay3196 wants to buy make sure the damn aircon works in the hot afternoon.
need to bring someone who knows about car when viewing the used myvi. i have no complain with the cvt iriz. damn shiok.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So why dont you DIY a simple cheapo shield around it? Did you get used to frequent stoppages that you no longer mind them?

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019
what is your budget for a used car? any other options besides myvi or iris?
Well, buying second hand car or new car that
-can be financed since I can't afford cash,
-fun to drive but not to hot. Warm hatch ok dy.

Does limits my choice. My budget will be around 30k to 40k, Would love to have suzuki swift sport or toyota altezza, proton satria but none of those are viable financially for me.

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019
- Replace with Superpro!

Servicing, yes, but about the sensor failing and whatnot I am a bit helpless on that. Also, super pro parts or interior parts are very expensive. One simple air-cond knob cost me friggin RM80 include labour.

Well appreciate your opinion much, a lot of friends said i should go for Myvi. It is bulletproof.

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019

also, i think your savvy needs an overhaul. your other parts can still find from halfcut or sparepart shop NOS. the sensor issue, can install splash shield for undercarriage shield like @Izso mention. roughly if fixing including the overhaul will cost you around 5k-ish i think. about the amount of your downpayment for the new car.

the choice is yours. :marchmellow:

I've done the math. As I plan to buy the cheapest variant- RM36k, downoayment RM3.6k. With trade in Savvy it's about 7k so I loan 29k, which can be cleared in 5 or 7 years. Aslo, it is new car so do have some warranty on my back in case the car fucked up.

If i spend the 3.6k on repair, it is only enough to cover the overhaul cost. The suspension bushings, not gonna happen.

Hence, it is a debate between
- 5 to 7 years of "steady" bleeding
or
- 1 shot of heavy bleeding with risk of heavy bleeding again.

Reactions: sanekit

Ceejay3196

Sep 27, 2019

Why new car came into consideration is Iriz new price is a steal, actually. If you survey the used market right now for RM36k that is exactly what a decent Myvi would've cost. Of course a manual myvi would be way cheaper at near 30k.

Since I am a sucker for manual cars, especially with good gearbox I think it is worth considering. Also, the QC of Iriz before Geely I am very skeptical of it as I am a victim of Savvy's horrible QC already.

Iriz 1.6 mt is a damn unicorn. Only 500 units on the road. So that one I practically give it a miss already.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

bro,

i bough on toyota le body..which originally 8 valve..then i when bought 12 valve...toyota le engine...i try to insert the egine..oni right hand side....mounting oni can fit....the other moutning....not at all....and the cross..member also not fit.....is there..different cross member for 12 valve?
another thing....the drive sharp.....is it 8 valve and 12 valve same.......plz help me...bcoz im fixing on ma own.....thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience