Did I make a financial mistake buying an EG?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
EG6 was also in one of my car list :)

anyway, how is the maintenance? should be relatively ok for a honda right?
It's a honda. The name honda is synonymous with the word "expensive". Having said that though I feel Nissan is more exp. But it all depends on you - if you earn a lot you might not feel the pinch. If you are an average income earner and drive a local car - you'll be gasping everytime the Honda breaks down and cursing on why everything is so expensive.

But compared to conti maintenance Honda is still cheap.

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
It's a honda. The name honda is synonymous with the word "expensive". Having said that though I feel Nissan is more exp. But it all depends on you - if you earn a lot you might not feel the pinch. If you are an average income earner and drive a local car - you'll be gasping everytime the Honda breaks down and cursing on why everything is so expensive.

recently, that is like 3-4months ago till now...i started spending average of 500 to 1.5k a months trying to fix my car (driving a neo btw) :(

and average petrol consumption of 8.5liter/100km and up to 9++liter/100km if hard on pedal...

i think honda should be cheaper than this ba...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
recently, that is like 3-4months ago till now...i started spending average of 500 to 1.5k a months trying to fix my car (driving a neo btw) :(

and average petrol consumption of 8.5liter/100km and up to 9++liter/100km if hard on pedal...

i think honda should be cheaper than this ba...
If u compare the similar repair job for example change of brake pad, etc...Honda will be pricier.

However, with Honda u dont get the rattling, vibrating, annoying squeak, this and that.

The older the car is, the more u need to spend. If keeping it running is too costly, sell it unless u have unlimited resource.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

Nissan is in the same league as Renault. Nissan is Renaults' asian wife after all.
U owned a Sylphy right? Have u notice any parts with Renault logo?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nissan is in the same league as Renault. Nissan is Renaults' asian wife after all.
U owned a Sylphy right? Have u notice any parts with Renault logo?
Wasn't it the other way around, many Renault models now with Nissan engine.......

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Wasn't it the other way around, many Renault models now with Nissan engine.......
Well, i know for sure that Almera throttle body had Renault logo on it. The engine in Almera is also the same used in Dacia Sandero and one variant of the Megane.

The engine design with intake running on top of the engine is very similar like my F4P engine. Maybe they joint develop the engine?

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
If u compare the similar repair job for example change of brake pad, etc...Honda will be pricier.

However, with Honda u dont get the rattling, vibrating, annoying squeak, this and that.

The older the car is, the more u need to spend. If keeping it running is too costly, sell it unless u have unlimited resource.

honestly i am not very sure at this point if it is wise to still keep repairing my neo or just get a "new" car. since i have not decided yet what i should do, that is why i keep repairing it..almost every week in workshop now

currently also checking around cars like EG with b18cr swap. average price around 40k now. not sure is a good idea to get one

btw, just wanted to ask all sifu here, do K20ar really fit into EG engine bay? cause i see some video showing that the frame need to be cut to fit the engine in, so are are all those k20a swap EG selling in mudah.my also has been cut on the frame? isn't that dangerous? just wondering..

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
honestly i am not very sure at this point if it is wise to still keep repairing my neo or just get a "new" car. since i have not decided yet what i should do, that is why i keep repairing it..almost every week in workshop now
What is wrong to be every week in workshop? I have an old Sonata III, just maintain for son to use, since mostly used on weekend only. Even certain parts, mechanic say can still use, will use until cannot use.......lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

currently also checking around cars like EG with b18cr swap. average price around 40k now. not sure is a good idea to get one

btw, just wanted to ask all sifu here, do K20ar really fit into EG engine bay? cause i see some video showing that the frame need to be cut to fit the engine in, so are are all those k20a swap EG selling in mudah.my also has been cut on the frame? isn't that dangerous? just wondering..
If u are selling, make sure u get a newer car. If u get older car, chances are more money to spend.

Your Neo is getting older hence the higher maintenance. Furthermore i suspect mech ability is one of the reason. Yes Proton is so-so but every weekend in workshop and spending up to 1k? Honestly that is worst than my 17yo 1.8 Waja.

Allow me to suggest to you an Iriz 1.6 manual or a Suprima S. These are some cars too cheap but offers a lot on the table. Its fun to drive like your Neo but more refined.

Further up the category is the Accordana or Inspira. Or if u want to be naughty, time to dive into the diesel world of pickup truck. Early model with VGT/VGS are cheap. Diesel is very robust and 'naughty' esp the modern engine type.

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
What is wrong to be every week in workshop? I have an old Sonata III, just maintain for son to use, since mostly used on weekend only. Even certain parts, mechanic say can still use, will use until cannot use.......lol
well...too be honest...even though a bit frustrating ...but i kind of enjoying at the same time..fixing things on my car...is weird...ha

iameternal

Known Member
May 16, 2019
If u are selling, make sure u get a newer car. If u get older car, chances are more money to spend.

Your Neo is getting older hence the higher maintenance. Furthermore i suspect mech ability is one of the reason. Yes Proton is so-so but every weekend in workshop and spending up to 1k? Honestly that is worst than my 17yo 1.8 Waja.

Allow me to suggest to you an Iriz 1.6 manual or a Suprima S. These are some cars too cheap but offers a lot on the table. Its fun to drive like your Neo but more refined.

Further up the category is the Accordana or Inspira. Or if u want to be naughty, time to dive into the diesel world of pickup truck. Early model with VGT/VGS are cheap. Diesel is very robust and 'naughty' esp the modern engine type.

no doubt the neo is really old now..all the old man problem come out...

anyway i am changing parts and servicing at the same time this few months time, not every trip is 1k, some trip are free of charge when the workshop couldn't help me..

also thanks for your advice on the new car, but personally i would still look forward into cars with..how to say...a bit more power? iriz, inspira all are good cars no doubts...but not the type i like.. i would want some car that shout " get out of my way !" ...haha...that kind of car :)

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
if its gonna be ur daily.. dont get an EG la... risk of theft is too high.

and yeah.. get a newer car... no point going backwards if its a daily...

or... buy a cheapo kancil for daily and start modding the shit out of that neo.

Reactions: Ranjanmax

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
if its gonna be ur daily.. dont get an EG la... risk of theft is too high.

and yeah.. get a newer car... no point going backwards if its a daily...

or... buy a cheapo kancil for daily and start modding the shit out of that neo.
Yes, especially if can only get 3rd party insurance for it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here it is, finally and exclusively on NihonCar.com, one of or probably THE most anticipated Japanese sportscars matchup of the year: the everlasting battle between two kings of rally stages over the last decades; the Subaru Impreza WRX STi versus the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X!

Over the past few years we had the privilege to test drive some pretty amazing and exclusive cars by each of those two manufacturers, for example...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience