Suitable absorber for wira 1.5

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hi all Sifu2
I now driving wira 1.5 sedan using waja front kyb gas absorber with wira SE spring and rear using kyb gas absorber with wira 1.6 spring. Now I get front 3 finger rear 2.5 finger. But when drive in highway feel like abit float, duno whether is stiff or float like not stable.
1. Is it rear absorber is too soft(last year change KYB gas but still soft when pressing rear by hand).

2. I want to lowered my car, if I get sport spring can I get lowered since I am 4g15 engine with big absorber and spring. What I know is Wira SE spring is shorter than wira 1.6/1.8 stock spring.

What is the best solution for my questions. Or choose adjustable, my pomen recommend me to use HWL hlsf 15 step adjustable. But adjustable is out of my budget. Thanks..

Hi there, may I share my experience with my own Wira 1.5 suspension setup that I did recently back in February?

Here's what I am using for my setup:
1. Front APM Coil Spring for Wira 1.6/1.8
2. Front KYB Gas Shock Absorbers for Wira 1.6/1.8
3. Rear APM Coil Spring for Wira 1.6
4. Rear KYB Gas Shock Absorbers (which I heard is same across all Wira)
5. Wira 1.6 rear anti roll bar

For my front, I'm at 5 finger and slightly more while rear is 4 finger gap. Yes, my car looks quite high now compared to my previous original suspension setup. The thing is, I do not feel that my car is floaty and not stable at all even at high speed. I even tested it out at 170kmh in a non highway road and it felt stable to me. Even during fast sudden cornering, my car goes through it with minimal body roll. Yes, it may be hard to believe if you saw my car's height but that is how it is. My suspension do not feel soft at all even if I press it by hand.

Comfort is not bad at all for my Wira. Damping is good and it felt like I'm driving a new car after I changed all of these suspension parts. To compare it with something new, I would say it is better than a third generation XP150 Toyota Vios.

One more thing is, I'm currently on 14 inch wheels with 185/60/14 tyres.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Izso

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang
Hi there, may I share my experience with my own Wira 1.5 suspension setup that I did recently back in February?

Here's what I am using for my setup:
1. Front APM Coil Spring for Wira 1.6/1.8
2. Front KYB Gas Shock Absorbers for Wira 1.6/1.8
3. Rear APM Coil Spring for Wira 1.6
4. Rear KYB Gas Shock Absorbers (which I heard is same across all Wira)
5. Wira 1.6 rear anti roll bar

For my front, I'm at 5 finger and slightly more while rear is 4 finger gap. Yes, my car looks quite high now compared to my previous original suspension setup. The thing is, I do not feel that my car is floaty and not stable at all even at high speed. I even tested it out at 170kmh in a non highway road and it felt stable to me. Even during fast sudden cornering, my car goes through it with minimal body roll. Yes, it may be hard to believe if you saw my car's height but that is how it is. My suspension do not feel soft at all even if I press it by hand.

Comfort is not bad at all for my Wira. Damping is good and it felt like I'm driving a new car after I changed all of these suspension parts. To compare it with something new, I would say it is better than a third generation XP150 Toyota Vios.

One more thing is, I'm currently on 14 inch wheels with 185/60/14 tyres.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for this info.
Are you using apm standard spring or apm performax. Now my setup get front and rear 3 finger balance but for me i prefer to lowered down my car. Your setup is quite height maybe u using standard spring

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Thanks a lot for this info.
Are you using apm standard spring or apm performax. Now my setup get front and rear 3 finger balance but for me i prefer to lowered down my car. Your setup is quite height maybe u using standard spring
Standard APM spring. I din't like the higher look too at first but now I'm used to it and the car does perform well, so I'll just leave it like that. I believe after some time, the spring will go a bit lower by itself when it gets older. Despite being a standard set of spring, it is quite a stiff spring. I won't call it soft at all.

I have attached a photo of my Wira's current height. If you want to know, originally Wira 1.8 is supposed to be that high when it came out from the factory. Look at this old advertisement photo of it. The front looks quite high isn't it? Kinda similar to how mine looks like now.
brochure1fu.jpg

Attachments

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang
Standard APM spring. I din't like the higher look too at first but now I'm used to it and the car does perform well, so I'll just leave it like that. I believe after some time, the spring will go a bit lower by itself when it gets older. Despite being a standard set of spring, it is quite a stiff spring. I won't call it soft at all.

I have attached a photo of my Wira's current height. If you want to know, originally Wira 1.8 is supposed to be that high when it came out from the factory. Look at this old advertisement photo of it. The front looks quite high isn't it? Kinda similar to how mine looks like now.
View attachment 574738
Your one is rally wira but it is good you satisfied what you get now(stable). Let see mine height front and rear I get around 3 finger. But my front absorber is not new condition, I buy from chop shop and take to service(inject).

Attachments

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang
Now my budget is allow me to use second hand adjustable. Below is my finding at marketplace.
Brand: Redsuns
Spec: front 6k rear 4k spring rate, High Low Bodyshift
Is It suitable for wira, how about the riding review.

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Your one is rally wira but it is good you satisfied what you get now(stable). Let see mine height front and rear I get around 3 finger. But my front absorber is not new condition, I buy from chop shop and take to service(inject).
I see some problems here. Absorber service is take apart, clean, change the oil, parts etc. Inject method is not actual service.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Your Wira looks older than mine. Those first batch Wira carburetor 1.5 at year 1993 to 1994?

Yes, mine does look like rally car now, which is unbelievable that it still corners stably. This means that the new springs and absorbers are quite hard enough. Your current height is almost like my height before I change my suspension. Maybe your front absorber condition is no longer in a good shape and even after you service it, it still can't perform well.

Anyway, you can try to equip a rear anti roll bar like what I did to see if your stability improves or not.

This is my car's height before the suspension upgrade to 1.6/1.8 type. If you want to compare, this is how thick and big the 1.6/1.8 front springs are compared to the normal 1.3/1.5 spring. Definitely harder spring rate.

Attachments

Last edited:

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang
I a
Your Wira looks older than mine. Those first batch Wira carburetor 1.5 at year 1993 to 1994?

Yes, mine does look like rally car now, which is unbelievable that it still corners stably. This means that the new springs and absorbers are quite hard enough. Your current height is almost like my height before I change my suspension. Maybe your front absorber condition is no longer in a good shape and even after you service it, it still can't perform well.

Anyway, you can try to equip a rear anti roll bar like what I did to see if your stability improves or not.

This is my car's height before the suspension upgrade to 1.6/1.8 type. If you want to compare, this is how thick and big the 1.6/1.8 front springs are compared to the normal 1.3/1.5 spring. Definitely harder spring rate.
Yes, my model is 1995 carb, but I already convert to VDO injecton(before I duno MMC is more powerful than VDO, vdo kit cheap ma..so install without survey). The one VDO good things is very save petrol than carb, before using carb filled rm80 ron95 petrol(price rm2.2) can go for 350km+-, now vdo filled rm80 ron95 petrol(price rm2.2) can go for 450km+-. Last time I try 90% highway + 10% city penang to KL and return can hit 500km per tank
Beside, I already install rear anti roll bar take from wira 1.8 but look like very thin only.

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang
I see some problems here. Absorber service is take apart, clean, change the oil, parts etc. Inject method is not actual service.....
That time I request to change to oil but not to inject gas, because I scare will very hard

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

The dude is complaining about floaty highway drives. I don't think the ARB will help much.

That time I request to change to oil but not to inject gas, because I scare will very hard
Since you are looking to only improve highway high speed running (minimize floating) then you need to have a look at those springs and absorbers again. I haven't really played much with stock suspension much as I went to coilovers pretty quickly after that but I do remember back then the Koni Yellow + Eibach prokit was a reaaaally good setup and the Koni had some slight height adjustment so can raise or lower a bit also. But Koni + Eibach is going to be very expensive......

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I a

Yes, my model is 1995 carb, but I already convert to VDO injecton(before I duno MMC is more powerful than VDO, vdo kit cheap ma..so install without survey). The one VDO good things is very save petrol than carb, before using carb filled rm80 ron95 petrol(price rm2.2) can go for 350km+-, now vdo filled rm80 ron95 petrol(price rm2.2) can go for 450km+-. Last time I try 90% highway + 10% city penang to KL and return can hit 500km per tank
Beside, I already install rear anti roll bar take from wira 1.8 but look like very thin only.
I see. Mine is a 1999 MMC injection. Good that you already have the rear anti roll bar installed.

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang
The dude is complaining about floaty highway drives. I don't think the ARB will help much.

Since you are looking to only improve highway high speed running (minimize floating) then you need to have a look at those springs and absorbers again. I haven't really played much with stock suspension much as I went to coilovers pretty quickly after that but I do remember back then the Koni Yellow + Eibach prokit was a reaaaally good setup and the Koni had some slight height adjustment so can raise or lower a bit also. But Koni + Eibach is going to be very expensive......
Koni + eibach is very exp lo...really out budget if do like this

kaihoong

Known Member
Jun 1, 2019
Penang

I didnt fully understand what is floating, bodyroll, stiff. Can roughly explain to me?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there , any Honda Accord or Civic users that is willing to make frenz ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience