Car Alternator or Battery Issue

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
I know this thread is already for quite some time. just looking for existing thread to ask about maintenance free battery (so called dry cell battery).

recently i see in facebook a mechanic share that maintenance free battery actually has the water inside. just peel off the sticker on top, use coin to open the + cap, and refill the water inside. this will make battery last longer, some said up to 4 years.

i know the part that even maintenance free battery has water inside, but topping it up, never think of doing it. so what the difference between maintenance free and not? is it just simply maintenance free one use better electrodes/material inside?

please share your experience/thoughts. thanks...

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I know this thread is already for quite some time. just looking for existing thread to ask about maintenance free battery (so called dry cell battery).

recently i see in facebook a mechanic share that maintenance free battery actually has the water inside. just peel off the sticker on top, use coin to open the + cap, and refill the water inside. this will make battery last longer, some said up to 4 years.

i know the part that even maintenance free battery has water inside, but topping it up, never think of doing it. so what the difference between maintenance free and not? is it just simply maintenance free one use better electrodes/material inside?

Dry cell car battery has "lead" and rods in it to generate electricity. Maintenance free battery generally do not require any maintenance done to it, just occasionally check and ensure the power indicator is green at all time and no visible leaks from the battery. Battery life also depends on your car's electrical charging system (alternator), grounding and stability of the overall electricity supplies to your car's accessories. It's no rocket science, all batteries need to be replaced in between 2-3 years depending on how you use the car.

Thank,
Ken

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Basically the batteries are the same, only MF battery have a different top. According to what I read, the system trap and condense the water vapor, therefore need less maintenance.However it still need ventilation, so will still loose some water. I have switch back to non MF battery since I find they last about the same time. If your batteries are not over charged, even non MF battery don't need to add water. What I find is usually at the end of it's life, it loose more water.
Another thing is to heat shield your battery for longer life....

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Basically the batteries are the same, only MF battery have a different top. According to what I read, the system trap and condense the water vapor, therefore need less maintenance.However it still need ventilation, so will still loose some water. I have switch back to non MF battery since I find they last about the same time. If your batteries are not over charged, even non MF battery don't need to add water. What I find is usually at the end of it's life, it loose more water.
Another thing is to heat shield your battery for longer life....
Heat shield meaning keeping away excessive heat to the battery?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Heat shield meaning keeping away excessive heat to the battery?
Yup, like some the battery are place right behind the radiator fan, as in my Chery SUV. My Mitsu one at the side so one piece of aluminum board can do the trick. Chery one I cover all round.....lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
upload_2019-5-23_13-51-28.jpeg

Shield L shape corner to corner. This battery dated 1/2014, upon checking was changed in 6/2017, so lasted 3 and a half years. Currently still running on the changed one so is 2 years already....

upload_2019-5-23_13-51-50.jpeg

Fan blow hot air directly at the battery

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Yup, like some the battery are place right behind the radiator fan, as in my Chery SUV. My Mitsu one at the side so one piece of aluminum board can do the trick. Chery one I cover all round.....lol
ok bro, noted... will do the same too! thanks for the tips

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

On the last Friday night, my friend park his car under the midvalley
parking and within a hour later he found that his car tires & rims was
been stolen.
Beside that he noted and informed that the car park which not installed the
cctv in the area.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience