Proton X70

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I went for a testdrive today...gatal2 go to a showroom and the SA offerred to test drive. It was a very short drive of a Premium variant.

The first thing i notice is how light the steering was, almost empty. Then the SA said its in comfort mode and switch it to sport mode, still very light.

On the move the car is very comfortable and riding like a european car...firm but not uncomfortable. NVH is very much in check, it isolate me from the surrounding.

The gearbox have a very relaxed programming and took a while responding to hard throttle input...its like reluctant to shift down. Good thing is shifts are done in a very smooth manner.

Braking is very impressive. When my friend take the wheel and drives it like he normally drives his Preve, i was surprised at how it handles heavy braking as the nose does not dip as much like i was expecting. I was sitting at the back and it was no drama. He took roundabout at higher than normal speed and again it exhibit good body control.

Hi Proton? Of course i did play with it like a child. I even gave command from the rear seat. I did the usual power window, sunroof, sun shade, radio, and even aircond.

What i dont like about it is how rough the engine was. Its almost like a diesel sound from inside the cabin. Its not that bad but i was expecting a muffled experienced since other NVH aspect are well taken care.
Another thing is the response i get when mashing the pedal does not reflect the torque it has. At times the engine felt like an NA engine with 2.0 capacity.

My conclusion after the short drives is this car suits those whom wants a relaxing no stress drive be it long or short journey. Its comfortable front and back has enough power and laden with electronics aid which help reduces the driver stress. Its like being driven to your destination.

Will i buy it?
Its tempting but i dont have the need for it now. If u need an SUV but X70 is too big then u might want to wait for the X50 which the SA mentioned will be roughly RM70k.

When asked abt CKD pricing for X70, the SA said to not expect much.

Anyway this is the first time i talked with an SA knowledgeable about vehicles. He was initially showing the sign like most SA whom only know to sell but know shit about cars. After the test drive we have a chat and when i talked about the Pajero he showed his true colour.He knows what engine it was, what year produce, market price,etc.

Reactions: Tom and Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah, the X70 is a great car. I have sat and driven one the premium model and it's great. But I'd still wouldn't buy it. Too new a car to know if there are any niggling problems

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I went for a testdrive today...gatal2 go to a showroom and the SA offerred to test drive. It was a very short drive of a Premium variant.

The first thing i notice is how light the steering was, almost empty. Then the SA said its in comfort mode and switch it to sport mode, still very light.

On the move the car is very comfortable and riding like a european car...firm but not uncomfortable. NVH is very much in check, it isolate me from the surrounding.

The gearbox have a very relaxed programming and took a while responding to hard throttle input...its like reluctant to shift down. Good thing is shifts are done in a very smooth manner.

Braking is very impressive. When my friend take the wheel and drives it like he normally drives his Preve, i was surprised at how it handles heavy braking as the nose does not dip as much like i was expecting. I was sitting at the back and it was no drama. He took roundabout at higher than normal speed and again it exhibit good body control.

Hi Proton? Of course i did play with it like a child. I even gave command from the rear seat. I did the usual power window, sunroof, sun shade, radio, and even aircond.

What i dont like about it is how rough the engine was. Its almost like a diesel sound from inside the cabin. Its not that bad but i was expecting a muffled experienced since other NVH aspect are well taken care.
Another thing is the response i get when mashing the pedal does not reflect the torque it has. At times the engine felt like an NA engine with 2.0 capacity.

My conclusion after the short drives is this car suits those whom wants a relaxing no stress drive be it long or short journey. Its comfortable front and back has enough power and laden with electronics aid which help reduces the driver stress. Its like being driven to your destination.

Will i buy it?
Its tempting but i dont have the need for it now. If u need an SUV but X70 is too big then u might want to wait for the X50 which the SA mentioned will be roughly RM70k.

When asked abt CKD pricing for X70, the SA said to not expect much.

Anyway this is the first time i talked with an SA knowledgeable about vehicles. He was initially showing the sign like most SA whom only know to sell but know shit about cars. After the test drive we have a chat and when i talked about the Pajero he showed his true colour.He knows what engine it was, what year produce, market price,etc.
yeah, your review is quite spot on although i didn't notice the engine behaviour like you described

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Yeah, the X70 is a great car. I have sat and driven one the premium model and it's great. But I'd still wouldn't buy it. Too new a car to know if there are any niggling problems
It's not new, been around since 2016 and Geely has facelifted it in China, fixing any problems that it initially has. What I heard on the ground is that the fuel consumption is abysmal.

Honestly the base spec is a good buy. I think the premium spec is overpriced and have a lot of profit margin worked in (well Proton IS a business), but its definitely not priced cheaply.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
It's not new, been around since 2016 and Geely has facelifted it in China, fixing any problems that it initially has. What I heard on the ground is that the fuel consumption is abysmal.

Honestly the base spec is a good buy. I think the premium spec is overpriced and have a lot of profit margin worked in (well Proton IS a business), but its definitely not priced cheaply.
Could be down to how the car response when the gas pedal is pressed. Sluggish response made drivers stomped on the pedal harder.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Could be down to how the car response when the gas pedal is pressed. Sluggish response made drivers stomped on the pedal harder.
Maybe. But given the weight of the vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised as well. And not sure how advanced Geely's engines are. They use a 4G naming convention, wonder if it's related to Mitsubishi.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Maybe. But given the weight of the vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised as well. And not sure how advanced Geely's engines are. They use a 4G naming convention, wonder if it's related to Mitsubishi.
I was expecting the get up and go to be better than the exora bold as it has higher torque to overcome the weight.

I wont be surprised if its related to Mitsubishi. Last time when the Great Wall M4 came out the engine code is 4g15 if i recall correctly.Judging from the output figure its just like mitsu 4g15 twincam output.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My colleague bought one. His previous car was a Myvi 1.3L. He says the X70 is sluggish, not very responsive. I sat in the car for a full 7 seconds, the ingress/egress is very nice. The top spec brown leather is also quite nice. But I was only there for 7 seconds.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My colleague bought one. His previous car was a Myvi 1.3L. He says the X70 is sluggish, not very responsive. I sat in the car for a full 7 seconds, the ingress/egress is very nice. The top spec brown leather is also quite nice. But I was only there for 7 seconds.
I drove my Chery SUV which is smaller and less power than my forester, but I feel the Chery is more nippy and agile, feels it is faster too, as the forester is huge and running CVT......lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Why only 7 sec?

Anyway its a good car overall.Just that it compete in a small market segment.
I think the X50 should make more sense in MY market.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Unless you’re a rap star, a gangster from the ‘hood’, a super celebrity or just love the attention, please stick to your 18” OZ’s or whatever(they serve a purpose) or even 20” Avanti’s for your SUV or car. Ok, 22” are still acceptable but not this. 30” is huge and mind boggling but 40” !!?? I don’t know what to say, there are no words in my vocabulary. It’s not that I’m...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience