Myvi Gab SS Series vs BC Racing V1

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Please take note that the BC V1 8K(F) and 5K(R) which you tried and still find it comfy, it MAY not be the same feeling if you use the same spring rate in different brands, like PRS or GAB SS. Best is to go test it yourself. Do not assume that the same springs rates will give the same feeling with all the brands.

I would take Izso advise and check out PRS if i were you.....I mean....More info and research wont hurt mah.....
Yup, same rate but different brands may vary in performance and damping. Springs have to work hand in hand with the damping too....:driver:

brandylau

Jan 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
If you've tested the same car with that setting and you like it, go for it.

But personally I'd go look around a bit more. PRS is cheaper than BC Racing hilo/softhard and it's adjustable so I don't know why you'd want to stick to these two brands only.

Anyway, it's your money. Since you've tested the BC Racing V1, it's probably a good idea to stick with that. If not give PRS a visit and then only decide. I'd avoid the GAB SS in my opinion.

Resale value - All of these brands mentioned have resale value. Just as long as you don't go for obviously poorly branded suspension like "Mines", "D2", "CUSCO", etc. These are imitations of the real brand and if you don't believe me, look at their website and tell me if they make suspension for the Perodua Myvi / Toyota Passo.
It's actually the newer Myvi. Mine is the first gen myvi. Thats why I'm still asking around on the spring rate. Don't want to get too low spring rate cause it will not be worth it if it's not much difference from my sport springs (30mm) the lower springs.
Ya most probably I'll visit PRS first. Btw do you know where is PRS or what is their full name?
Are their coilovers red in color?
Ya I would not go for lower brands that's why I was looking into SS series and V1

KYB RS PRO :biggrin:

Just get the BC Racing la bro..case close. 8k front is very hard. If you still want some comfort, opt for 6k
Btw myvi is a myvi la...to have minimal body roll is almost impossible if you don't have the $$. However it could still be fun and steady to drive with common aftermarket parts and it could be better if you could tune it to suit your driving style.
I'm still surveying on the spring rates. Not too sure what to go for. Is 6k front and 4K rear a good choice? And do you know how much of a difference from the front and rear? For example 8k front and 4K rear its 4K spring rate difference. Normally can the difference be a lot or there is a limit between front and rear to be different?

Please take note that the BC V1 8K(F) and 5K(R) which you tried and still find it comfy, it MAY not be the same feeling if you use the same spring rate in different brands, like PRS or GAB SS. Best is to go test it yourself. Do not assume that the same springs rates will give the same feeling with all the brands.

I would take Izso advise and check out PRS if i were you.....I mean....More info and research wont hurt mah.....
Ya I'll go check PRS out for the time being. Btw do you roughly know how much are they?

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
currently using gab SS for almost 5 years ++ as i recall since GAB introducing SS model in market that time.. front is 6k.. rear is 4/5k not really sure..

still kinda stiff for town and sometimes to take your family for leasure.. but for handling > SUPERBB..!

NYTM

Apr 11, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey there Sifu's!
I know this is an old thread, but need some input based on what is currently available in the market.
I have a 1995 4-door Integra B18C (GSR) Auto (may convert to manual at some stage), which currently has half cut typeR shocks.
Time to change them - so I have BC (V1 or BR), or GAB SS coilovers to choose from - from what has been recommended to me so far.
the SS and V1 seems to be similar in price, (RM2K +) the BR RS is nearly 1K more (just over RM3k)....
I don't do any racing, nor do I do much hard driving - but would like to fit something that performs well enough (can easily take the occasional blast along the backroads), is not too harsh on the ride, and will last.
Any advice would be much appreciated......

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hey there Sifu's!
I know this is an old thread, but need some input based on what is currently available in the market.
I have a 1995 4-door Integra B18C (GSR) Auto (may convert to manual at some stage), which currently has half cut typeR shocks.
Time to change them - so I have BC (V1 or BR), or GAB SS coilovers to choose from - from what has been recommended to me so far.
the SS and V1 seems to be similar in price, (RM2K +) the BR RS is nearly 1K more (just over RM3k)....
I don't do any racing, nor do I do much hard driving - but would like to fit something that performs well enough (can easily take the occasional blast along the backroads), is not too harsh on the ride, and will last.
Any advice would be much appreciated......
Between those brands, the BC is pretty much the only one with that's probably reliable in the sense of servicing and availability of the suspension parts and stuff.

But ride quality is highly dependent on personal preferences. Best you go test sit in cars with these suspensions and you decide which is the best for you.

NYTM

Apr 11, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Between those brands, the BC is pretty much the only one with that's probably reliable in the sense of servicing and availability of the suspension parts and stuff.

But ride quality is highly dependent on personal preferences. Best you go test sit in cars with these suspensions and you decide which is the best for you.
HI,
thank you for the reply. Considering the difference in price, is the BR really worth buying over the V1? Would you know what is the real difference in quality/performance that I need to consider?

Many thanks

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
HI,
thank you for the reply. Considering the difference in price, is the BR really worth buying over the V1? Would you know what is the real difference in quality/performance that I need to consider?

Many thanks
V1 is the so-called "entry level" of the BC coilovers. Personally I think if you have the money go for the top spec and live with that. At least you have the flexibility of the top spec BR than having to compromise with the V1.

Anyway, before you opt to buy any coilover or suspension ask yourself these questions :

1. What do you need coilovers for? How often will you need to corner super flat through a corner?
2. Can you live with a harsher ride? How about your family? A harsher ride will mean things will start to rattle inside the car too to some extent.
3. Whats your budget?

After all that go sit in Myvis with coilovers and decide if you enjoy driving around like that. No matter what people tell you - there is no way you can get stock comfort with coilovers.

After all that - perhaps you wanna consider getting uprated absorbers instead and pair it with stiffer anti roll bars?

IMHO - don't settle for cheap suspension unless proven good. You need to consider a lot of things once you've decided that you want coilovers.

1. Are they serviceable? Or are they cheap enough to replace once broken/leaking?
2. Do you want high-low-soft-hard or high-low or what? Tbh go for High-low-soft-hard.
3. Get coilovers with bodyshift so they don't compress the spring when you adjust ride height.
4. See if the coilovers have bumpstops, and see if you can opt for them.
5. Decide the spring rates you want to go for on your car. This will mostly determine the comfort and handling of your ride.

Good luck

NYTM

Apr 11, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
V1 is the so-called "entry level" of the BC coilovers. Personally I think if you have the money go for the top spec and live with that. At least you have the flexibility of the top spec BR than having to compromise with the V1.

Anyway, before you opt to buy any coilover or suspension ask yourself these questions :

1. What do you need coilovers for? How often will you need to corner super flat through a corner?
2. Can you live with a harsher ride? How about your family? A harsher ride will mean things will start to rattle inside the car too to some extent.
3. Whats your budget?

After all that go sit in Myvis with coilovers and decide if you enjoy driving around like that. No matter what people tell you - there is no way you can get stock comfort with coilovers.

After all that - perhaps you wanna consider getting uprated absorbers instead and pair it with stiffer anti roll bars?

IMHO - don't settle for cheap suspension unless proven good. You need to consider a lot of things once you've decided that you want coilovers.

1. Are they serviceable? Or are they cheap enough to replace once broken/leaking?
2. Do you want high-low-soft-hard or high-low or what? Tbh go for High-low-soft-hard.
3. Get coilovers with bodyshift so they don't compress the spring when you adjust ride height.
4. See if the coilovers have bumpstops, and see if you can opt for them.
5. Decide the spring rates you want to go for on your car. This will mostly determine the comfort and handling of your ride.

Good luck
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed reply - much appreciated.
Let me summarise what little I know, and what my needs are - in response to the questions you have posed:
- Although this is my only car now, it is coming to 24 yrs old, and I don't want to spend unnecessarily on high end parts etc (unless there arent many options etc); I also have a number of other things I need to spend on the car. So I was not expecting to have to spend more than say 2K on a decent set of shocks. What I have now are (I think) normal springs, and half cut type R shocks (bit on the hard side and car sits just a little too low, and I think due pretty soon to be changed)
- Whilst I enjoy driving, and want to be able to (on the odd occasion) do some spirited driving, I don't intend to do any road racing etc as such at this point. I guess if I had to choose between performance and comfort, I would lean towards comfort as this is a daily use car.
- From input from a couple of Honda mechanics and reading from forums etc, I appears there arent that many options within budget. Original shocks for this model are almost impossible to get; new ones even if can be sourced, would be very expensive. As I am not a motorhead by any means, I don't really know that much about other options - I am guessing that branded non-adjustable shocks are just as if not more expensive; and if I have to change the springs, overall it will come to quite a bit. I may be wrong, so please correct me if so.
- My car is an auto. When this gearbox ultimately goes, I may change to manual, but will depend on what is available at that time, for auto gearboxes. I guess one of the reasons I was recommended to get coilovers, is to give me options for the type of ride that I may want, in the future. I once read that when it comes to such things, buy/fix based on what you plan to use the car for, say 70-80% of the time. Of course availability of servicing, and expected life span of the product, does matter. If I have to consider between BR and V1, I really can't tell if V1 will quite adequately serve the purpose I have described, nor how much of an advantage the BR will give.

Sorry to bore you with my story. If at all anyone reading this can offer any further perspective, or other suspension options (incl non-adjustable) to consider, it would be much appreciated. I am told that the BR (RS) coilovers need to be ordered in advance, the V1 is more readily available.

Many thanks

Reactions: alcyon

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed reply - much appreciated.
Let me summarise what little I know, and what my needs are - in response to the questions you have posed:
- Although this is my only car now, it is coming to 24 yrs old, and I don't want to spend unnecessarily on high end parts etc (unless there arent many options etc); I also have a number of other things I need to spend on the car. So I was not expecting to have to spend more than say 2K on a decent set of shocks. What I have now are (I think) normal springs, and half cut type R shocks (bit on the hard side and car sits just a little too low, and I think due pretty soon to be changed)
- Whilst I enjoy driving, and want to be able to (on the odd occasion) do some spirited driving, I don't intend to do any road racing etc as such at this point. I guess if I had to choose between performance and comfort, I would lean towards comfort as this is a daily use car.
- From input from a couple of Honda mechanics and reading from forums etc, I appears there arent that many options within budget. Original shocks for this model are almost impossible to get; new ones even if can be sourced, would be very expensive. As I am not a motorhead by any means, I don't really know that much about other options - I am guessing that branded non-adjustable shocks are just as if not more expensive; and if I have to change the springs, overall it will come to quite a bit. I may be wrong, so please correct me if so.
- My car is an auto. When this gearbox ultimately goes, I may change to manual, but will depend on what is available at that time, for auto gearboxes. I guess one of the reasons I was recommended to get coilovers, is to give me options for the type of ride that I may want, in the future. I once read that when it comes to such things, buy/fix based on what you plan to use the car for, say 70-80% of the time. Of course availability of servicing, and expected life span of the product, does matter. If I have to consider between BR and V1, I really can't tell if V1 will quite adequately serve the purpose I have described, nor how much of an advantage the BR will give.

Sorry to bore you with my story. If at all anyone reading this can offer any further perspective, or other suspension options (incl non-adjustable) to consider, it would be much appreciated. I am told that the BR (RS) coilovers need to be ordered in advance, the V1 is more readily available.

Many thanks
oh damn.. yours is the 4-door integra. I had the impression it was a Myvi.. Haha..

Ok based on your feedback this is what I'd suggest then :

- Get a decent set of absorbers or consider custom revalved ones like by PRS. Stick with stock springs or consider getting a new set of standard ones because of the age.
- Upgrade your rear and front anti-roll bars, change to lightweight rims and perhaps the brakes

and be done with it. Based on the internet RS suspension seems to have a lot of positive feedback. I think you should stick around and wait for an integra owner to respond. But most integra owners I know are track focused and aren't daily drivers.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ariete Steam Cleaner Vapori Jet, where can I get this brand or similar price range steam cleaner as I wanna clean of the puke stain off my fabric seat. Or any sifu here have a better more budget way of cleaning it off? Steam cleaner is more of a "placebo" effect for myself because of the price.

Can any one post links of previous detailing works done on fabric seats and hard to reach door trims area done by the detailing gurus here and also recomend few products and methods best to be...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience