Engine flush - how often is too often?

Jan 29, 2019
Hi all,

Want to get opinion from sifus here - my car is around 80k mileage, never done engine flush before. is it time? How often to do engine flush?

Info i get from the Maxx N Go mechanic that regularly service my car is engine flush not recommended for car with mileage below 150k as it is corrosive and can spoil the engine internal. True?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi all,

Want to get opinion from sifus here - my car is around 80k mileage, never done engine flush before. is it time? How often to do engine flush?

Info i get from the Maxx N Go mechanic that regularly service my car is engine flush not recommended for car with mileage below 150k as it is corrosive and can spoil the engine internal. True?
Whats the different flushing below 150k and above 150k? The chemical still comes into contact with the engine internal. So , the claimed of flushing below 150k km will damage the engine is baseless.

Modern engine oil already had cleaning agent so my view is to do oil change on time and used the best engine oil for your usage.

Have i tried engine flushing before?
Yes, the chemical type.I can confirmed if it had bad effect.

I had even used engine oil for diesel engine in my engine. Those supposedly contain stronger/higher cleaning agent.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
You don’t need it. Just stick to branded full synthetics engine oil and change every 10,000km or 1 year whichever sooner.

How I know? My turbo (oil cooled) and engine is clean and beautiful. Changed the head on my engine and there was a leak on the turbo oil feed hose. So dismantled and looked at it.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sometimes I use engine flush but not often, like only once every 40-50k km. I use Gold Eagle brand bought in Ace Hardware. I choose this because it is more like oil as well hence still has lubrication properties, not like those others that looks more like kerosene. Long time back I used Wynn's which also like thin oil but here I don't know where to buy but anyway this Gold Eagle seems good enough too.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sometimes I use engine flush but not often, like only once every 40-50k km. I use Gold Eagle brand bought in Ace Hardware. I choose this because it is more like oil as well hence still has lubrication properties, not like those others that looks more like kerosene. Long time back I used Wynn's which also like thin oil but here I don't know where to buy but anyway this Gold Eagle seems good enough too.
Yup, there are people who use light single grade oil to flush too.......

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
honestly don't have to if you use good engine oil with frequent change intervals... flushing engine oil is just flushing money down the drain.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
honestly don't have to if you use good engine oil with frequent change intervals... flushing engine oil is just flushing money down the drain.
Well I used to flush using new cheap oil with those engine flush agents. I drain the old oil then fill up new oil plus the engine flush, run it for a few minutes and drain it again. The new oil immediately became dark with dirt. Oh and I do use reputable engine oils all the while. So yeah it does work as expected.

Last edited:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

No sludge, no flush . End of story

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No sludge, no flush . End of story
Since on sludge issue, this was asked before. Firstly not all sludge can be cleaned off by flush alone. There is also issues like sludge that are dislodge and get stuck inside the fine oil path. What is your take on this?
Another issue that I have heard off is old engines with high mileage. Some say the sludge are stuck on the gasket and flushing the engine that will dislodge some of these sludge making the engine start to leak from these areas. I have two friends who actually did this to their newly bought 2nd hand car and both started to leak after the flush....:confused:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Since on sludge issue, this was asked before. Firstly not all sludge can be cleaned off by flush alone. There is also issues like sludge that are dislodge and get stuck inside the fine oil path. What is your take on this?
Another issue that I have heard off is old engines with high mileage. Some say the sludge are stuck on the gasket and flushing the engine that will dislodge some of these sludge making the engine start to leak from these areas. I have two friends who actually did this to their newly bought 2nd hand car and both started to leak after the flush....:confused:
Well, to me the best of all is use FS or SS in the 1st place and change within the stipulated time frame, and you wont have sludge in the first place. This I can attest to with my Proton Saga that I sold back in 2017. If you already have sludge, then I suggest instead of flush, use FS oil but shorten the OCI to 1000km and do it 3 times, for this, the on sale Shell Helix Ultra will do great. As for the leaking after flushing, that could be because the seals themselves have hardened, or the flush composition itself could be corrosive.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
nowadays i didnt bother with engine flush... coz i'm using cheap reasonable quality engine oil with good amount of detergent in it...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well, to me the best of all is use FS or SS in the 1st place and change within the stipulated time frame, and you wont have sludge in the first place. This I can attest to with my Proton Saga that I sold back in 2017. If you already have sludge, then I suggest instead of flush, use FS oil but shorten the OCI to 1000km and do it 3 times, for this, the on sale Shell Helix Ultra will do great. As for the leaking after flushing, that could be because the seals themselves have hardened, or the flush composition itself could be corrosive.
It becomes way too expensive if have to change FS oil within just 1000km, for 3 times some more. The engine flush I use only costs rm18.50.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Honestly no idea because I also never experienced such cases before, even on my old Mitsubishis back then. I guess the way I do maintenance with such occasional flushing is more of a preventive measure.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just wanna share my lazy DIY project a last month. Yeah, last month. LOL.

So, I found these cheap ass NOS taiwan Enkei replicas on mudah. I like the design but I don't like the color. Lime green is a No, No. So, time for some DIT session. I use cheap ol Anchor rattle can in Flat Black color coz it's easy to apply and I'm lazy. All the painting was done before noon around 1030am-11am.

The rims are not that light but at least it's lighter than my old rims...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience