Best of the best engine oils

Darth Evillus

Known Member
Jan 16, 2019
OK so I tried searching the forum for a topic discussion on engine oils but unfortunately topics are restricted to certain car brand within car subforum

Would like to gather all car enthusiast opinion here.

From my understanding
There's mineral, semi and full.
Since this is best of the best topic we will just talk about full.

Full synthetic is group 3, group 4 and group 5. 3 being refined from crude oil
4 is PAO and 5 is ester based.

So many advertisement and testimony with pictures of cars clocking 200k km above using chemlube ester based oil open up gasket not a single deposit of carbon found.

So my ques:
I have a 10yr old nissan Latio sedan 1.6
Nv really bother much on its performance last time (point A to point B workhorse car). Used semi synthetic for 8 years and now total quartz 9000 10w40 full synthetic 2 years.

If I use ester based oil would it slowly clean up the deposits on my car?
Plan to foam clean the valves and throttles and engine flush first next change

Another ques is for newer cars.
If say I have new nissan x trail 2018 and still under warranty would using other oil void the warranty?

And do cars like myvi icon 1.5 worth putting ester based oils if I go long distance and 60 highway 40 city

Is the price diff worth it?

Brands wise?
Torco Millers CFS NT
Chemlube

Lai sifu lai

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
To me all about OCI. Change oil regularly and on time. With your normal car for daily a good SS will do. If got more moolah, use FS. My mechanic;s uncle drives a taxi, uses those days Duckhams Q formula 20w50 which is mineral base. After 200k km open up, did a ring job only. Piston and cylinder wall still in good condition. Oil change always on time.
Like for my VR, have been testing oil for years, so have been uses all sorts of oil and brands. Those day mostly FS, of course the cheapest possible. Some from friends, warehouse sale and so on. Brands from Mobil 1 5w50, Bardahl, Toyota, Q8, BHP, Castrol, Mitsu, Pennzoil and many more. After 15 years or so, engine still running, probably quite worn by now, and is now using Pennzoil HDEO 15w40.....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
OK so I tried searching the forum for a topic discussion on engine oils but unfortunately topics are restricted to certain car brand within car subforum

Would like to gather all car enthusiast opinion here.

From my understanding
There's mineral, semi and full.
Since this is best of the best topic we will just talk about full.

Full synthetic is group 3, group 4 and group 5. 3 being refined from crude oil
4 is PAO and 5 is ester based.

So many advertisement and testimony with pictures of cars clocking 200k km above using chemlube ester based oil open up gasket not a single deposit of carbon found.

So my ques:
I have a 10yr old nissan Latio sedan 1.6
Nv really bother much on its performance last time (point A to point B workhorse car). Used semi synthetic for 8 years and now total quartz 9000 10w40 full synthetic 2 years.

If I use ester based oil would it slowly clean up the deposits on my car?
Plan to foam clean the valves and throttles and engine flush first next change

Another ques is for newer cars.
If say I have new nissan x trail 2018 and still under warranty would using other oil void the warranty?

And do cars like myvi icon 1.5 worth putting ester based oils if I go long distance and 60 highway 40 city

Is the price diff worth it?

Brands wise?
Torco Millers CFS NT
Chemlube

Lai sifu lai

if u just want a clean engine internal? cheaper and reliable way... go use diesel truck engine oil...

the best detergent content available inside diesel truck oil...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Best engine oil? Probably Amsoil Signature series. Their ATF oil is also very good.

if me.. i'll vouch for penrite HPR series and Lucas Racing oil

Reactions: Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I don't know, just based on my limited observation of oil comparison tests, seem like Amsoil Signature very often comes out on top and it's the only oil I know that dares to claim their oil can last 25k miles (not even km!). Members in the Mark X club had also really proved it by going over 30k km before change, pretty remarkable. Then their ATF also looks very good even after 20-30k km use and able to prevent the overheating issue that may happen with the AT when driven hard using the regular Toyota ATF WS oil.

If I have a nice high performance car in the future, I think Amsoil will be my first choice.

Some reference:
https://www.yourbestpicks.com/best-synthetic-motor-oils/

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Most major brand engine oils are GOOD enough to be used following proper oil change intervals.

Shell Helix which can be had as cheap as RM100 for 4L is a good engine oil, if you stick to the OCI then it’s great.

These days there’s no reason to:
1) use anything but fully synthetic engine oil due to longer OCI : 1 year or 10,000km or 20,000km depending on car manufacturers

2) use unknown brands/quality engine oil. Because there are MANY fake engine oils there and many unknown brands, you are safer sticking to big brands like Shell, Castrol, Mobil 1, Elf, Total, Motul etc. while these brands may not be the absolute “best”, their quality is consistent.

3) best in what sense? Pennzoil USA (not the UMW crap) for example is known for its additive package that focuses on cleaning.

4) Mobil 1 is the factory fill for many high performance cars. And Shell Helix Ultra is factory fill for all Ferrari.

Don’t bother chasing Group IV or V base oils. You need to understand that an engine oil with hydro cracked Group III with superior additive package can outperform a Group IV or V with so so additive package. Ultimately the final quality depends on how it’s blended.

Simply put you can have the best ingredients and if you’re a shitty cook, the final dish is still crap. Whereas Jamie Oliver can make a superb dish with just eggs and onions.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
:biggrin: penang ppl kiamsiap pay little want extra and full package so got kiamsiap advice
KNN i no kiamsiap lah ....want buy cheaper oil in penang also don have. KL tesco, giant, aeon like no one buy except "those" KL lang i know. :rofl:
Can open shop sell oil dy..hahaha !!!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
KNN i no kiamsiap lah ....want buy cheaper oil in penang also don have. KL tesco, giant, aeon like no one buy except "those" KL lang i know. :rofl:
Can open shop sell oil dy..hahaha !!!
We can buy on your behalf......:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I am looking for this stuff, it's mainly used for turbocharger blankets on large gas compressors ( pushing well over 2000 HPs ), and my Net pals over at US have successfully used this item to repack their mufflers, both cars and bikes. Reportedly to be extremely durable ( the guy who used 'em on his R1 have yet to replace his muffler packing for over 2 years now! ) and long - lasting. I am sourcing this stuff for my pal ( who have replaced his Gilera Nexus 500's muffler packing THRICE in 6...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience