Will Izso buy a good car???

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Damn, now I feel like buying a Volvo S80
You do that.. and sell me your E46.... please. Pretty pretty please. I'll throw in free Volvo detailing for you too.

Which bimmer you got. New addition?

The BMW E39, avoid the 2.8L like the plague, those are the old ones.

The Tezza Z vs E39, both different type of vehicle. So really depends what you want. I'd skip the Corolla, the Camry and the Mark X.
I just finished watching Kon's E39 journey and I'm quite frightened by the suspension replacement costs. Jeez.. why can't them Germans make anything easy?

Ok so no 2.8. That kinda limits the cars I can see. I've only seen two 2.5L and both had a lot of issues I suspect I'd bitch a lot about.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Woohooo Mark X in the lead! Unfortunately your budget is too low for me otherwise I'd offer mine already. :biggrin:

Btw just in case you don't know yet before you choose this car, maybe I'd need to tell you also 1 thing I dislike about it but cannot do anything about it which is the auto gearbox behavior when in Sport/tiptronic mode:
1. It's quite laggy/slow to change gear. But this is a conventional torque converter AT after all so yeah like that. So when trying to push it hard, I need to hit my paddle shift or shift knob just a few hundred rpms before red line otherwise I will hit the rev limiter due to the late action of the gear engagement.
2. Even if you select a specific gear, say 4th, it can still downshift on it's own if it feels the gear is too high. So it's not 100% in your control.
3. When you switch from normal AT mode to Tiptronic, instead of continuing in the same gear, by default it selects either 5th (for non facelift 2004-2006 model) or 4th (for facelift model 2007-2009).
other weaknesses like brakes, handling, and power, you can still improve them but this AT behavior is stuck with the car.
omg.. this is very Sylphy-ish. I hated that Sylphy for this kind of reaction and the MarkX is similar. The likelihood of me getting one is getting slimmer by the minute.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I just finished watching Kon's E39 journey and I'm quite frightened by the suspension replacement costs. Jeez.. why can't them Germans make anything easy?
Bilstein B4s or the oem Sachs arent that expensive.

Ok so no 2.8.
What's wrong with the M52TU? There's not much difference with the M54 and the M52TU doesn't have the oil burning issues

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bilstein B4s or the oem Sachs arent that expensive.

What's wrong with the M52TU? There's not much difference with the M54 and the M52TU doesn't have the oil burning issues
I don't know. I'm doing research now to see whats the difference. But apart from that - I suspect the power difference isn't much hence not worth the road tax.

It isn't Bilstein or Sach issue - they cost about RM1500-1600 from BA. Workmanship to install is the scary one, to install the rear the entire back seat, parcel shelf, everything has to come out. Considering the age of the car - I suspect a lot of broken clips and stuff will happen.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
to install the rear the entire back seat, parcel shelf, everything has to come out. Considering the age of the car - I suspect a lot of broken clips and stuff will happen.

Much easier to replace for an e46. No trim removal required.

M52TU vs M54. Afaik, there's little difference apart from the DBW. Hard to visually spot the difference.Perhaps Ixeo can elaborate

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
omg.. this is very Sylphy-ish. I hated that Sylphy for this kind of reaction and the MarkX is similar. The likelihood of me getting one is getting slimmer by the minute.
Yeah, this is the main weakness that I really don't like about the car, typical of older AT technology like mentioned by Alcyon I suppose. Even DSG also still have a bit of that laggy reaction and this is over 10 yrs old AT so yeah. Having said that I doubt its as bad as your Sylphy and I'm already adjusted to it so I still can quite enjoy Genting drive with it. Anyway most of the time when you just let it in full auto mode for daily drive it's no issues also as it shifts nicely as expected. For me also to counter the need to change gears as often, I have changed my final gear from 4.1 to 4.6 together with a Torsen LSD so it feels better.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

Much easier to replace for an e46. No trim removal required.

M52TU vs M54. Afaik, there's little difference apart from the DBW. Hard to visually spot the difference.Perhaps Ixeo can elaborate
No real difference between the M52TU vs M54. But in terms of road tax costs, no reason to pick the M52TU 2.8L over the M54 2.5L. Sure the torque is higher on the 2.8L, again, for daily driving no need. Not a huge difference really at 35nM peak torque difference. Sure the curve is higher across.

More importantly the M54 comes in the LCI models with the angel eyes and the Hella CELIS lightbar rear lamps, THAT’S what you want. The E39 that looks legendary.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Yeah, this is the main weakness that I really don't like about the car, typical of older AT technology like mentioned by Alcyon I suppose. Even DSG also still have a bit of that laggy reaction and this is over 10 yrs old AT so yeah. Having said that I doubt its as bad as your Sylphy and I'm already adjusted to it so I still can quite enjoy Genting drive with it. Anyway most of the time when you just let it in full auto mode for daily drive it's no issues also as it shifts nicely as expected. For me also to counter the need to change gears as often, I have changed my final gear from 4.1 to 4.6 together with a Torsen LSD so it feels better.
Hi

I would like to introduce you to the god and savior of automatic torque converter transmissions

The ZF 8 speed transmission. First time I drove it was in a F30 316i and boy did the transmission mask the puny engine and heavy body well. Smooth, fast and responsive. DSG “feels” more engaging in spirited driving, and surely its faster, but guess what? The ZF has no jerk at crawling speeds.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi

I would like to introduce you to the god and savior of automatic torque converter transmissions

The ZF 8 speed transmission. First time I drove it was in a F30 316i and boy did the transmission mask the puny engine and heavy body well. Smooth, fast and responsive. DSG “feels” more engaging in spirited driving, and surely its faster, but guess what? The ZF has no jerk at crawling speeds.
Hahaha yeah I know, maybe time to upgrade already now but unfortunately no budget yet. I'm a bit interested in the 328i F30 MSport but not really itching for it either. My itch lies more in some AWD now which unfortunately do not use this ZF8.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Hahaha yeah I know, maybe time to upgrade already now but unfortunately no budget yet. I'm a bit interested in the 328i F30 MSport but not really itching for it either. My itch lies more in some AWD now which unfortunately do not use this ZF8.
Why AWD? No practical applications in Malaysia since we have no snow. Unless you travel in gravel. What’s your rational on this? Or it’s just something you want.

My experience in AWD is very limited. It was more of a 4WD with transfer case engaged to 4 wheel high speed. The sensation is more “feel” on the front (usually it’s 2 wheel rear drive), but practically no difference on tarmac.

RWD is oh wow the thing turns so much better than a FWD.

Reactions: alcyon

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
You do that.. and sell me your E46.... please. Pretty pretty please. I'll throw in free Volvo detailing for you too.

Ok so no 2.8. That kinda limits the cars I can see. I've only seen two 2.5L and both had a lot of issues I suspect I'd bitch a lot about.
Have it occurred to you that the Volvo may be as complex as the E39 for maintenance?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Why AWD? No practical applications in Malaysia since we have no snow. Unless you travel in gravel. What’s your rational on this? Or it’s just something you want.

My experience in AWD is very limited. It was more of a 4WD with transfer case engaged to 4 wheel high speed. The sensation is more “feel” on the front (usually it’s 2 wheel rear drive), but practically no difference on tarmac.

RWD is oh wow the thing turns so much better than a FWD.
Just something I want I guess, coz never had one before, plus the cars that have them can accelerate bloody fast too with much more traction. Should be safer and faster also in the wet.

Agree though that RWD turns better than FWD, just more neutral feeling. Having said that I think my son's Swift can smoke my Mark X in the turns due to its very agile handling!

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
But in terms of road tax costs, no reason to pick the M52TU 2.8L over the M54 2.5L.
Agreed that for most intents are purpose, that there's no real difference between 2.5 vs 2.8 ...cept for pulling away and going uphill & those internal forged bits

Have it occurred to you that the Volvo may be as complex as the E39 for maintenance?
Probably more complex

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

When looking at oversea selling Motul 800 road racing 2T for +-US$17 and we are getting it at +-RM133 per bottle, I think it is too much. So, I'm wondering if volume can bring down the price a bit. Mix product purchasing also can, like x bottle of different engine oil + x bottle of different 2T.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience