Chop shop windshield

UniKorn

Dec 3, 2018
Hi guys, is it recommended to use a chop shop windshield to replace current windshield? Is there any disadvantage like easily broken because it was a used part.
Many thanks

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Any reason why you want to do that? If the condition is good I guess no harm.

Better to just have windshield insurance, and change new one when the time comes IF your windshield is damaged.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys, is it recommended to use a chop shop windshield to replace current windshield? Is there any disadvantage like easily broken because it was a used part.
Many thanks
I doubt a chopshop will look after the windscreen with finesse and detail. And if it's a windscreen that's on a halfcut and you want to take it out and install on yours - unless your car is super rare and impossible to find parts for, better don't.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I doubt a chopshop will look after the windscreen with finesse and detail. And if it's a windscreen that's on a halfcut and you want to take it out and install on yours - unless your car is super rare and impossible to find parts for, better don't.
Like my Sonata III, now worried as even body parts hard to find as no more chop parts....:smokin:

UniKorn

Dec 3, 2018
Ah, so there's a risk of the chop shop windshield has existing damages that we can't detrct

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Easily broken?
nope.

Will it fit?
Of course if its from the same model.

Quality?
It wont be the same as new windscreen. U will never know the surface condition until u are driving in the rain at 20kmh as u cannot see inside.

As mentioned by others, better get new using insurance claim.peace of mind. increase the cover a bit and u can replace the windscreen plus good quality tinted as well.

UniKorn

Dec 3, 2018
I have thought about it. Yea depends, it might be worth it. Like our local cars are easily covered by insurance, get a new one straight.
What about the make of the windshield. Any idea which manufacturer is better? Or which to avoid

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Windshield manufacturer are very few unlike other wear and tear parts manufacturer.

These manufacturer have to comply to strict regulation before they can supply to car company. I know of none which produce only replacement but dont supply to car company. So, safe to say no specific brand to avoid.

mind sharind whats your ride and your concern abt windscreen?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I remember my windscreen is China made if not mistaken, since I had it changed many years ago. My first change cost around RM1.1k and that was local made, few years later it cracked again, so when my mechanic source, say got one at RM600.....lol

jeheyr

500 RPM
Jun 1, 2004
Ampang Jaya
community.webshots.com
it's better to use Insurance cover rather than you bought the half-cut one.
In condition, if it only has crack you can wait for insurance renewal then add windscreen cover for almost rm100 if i'm right.
But then if there is thousand cracks, i recommend you go for halfcut which might be far more cheaper than the new one.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
it's better to use Insurance cover rather than you bought the half-cut one.
In condition, if it only has crack you can wait for insurance renewal then add windscreen cover for almost rm100 if i'm right.
But then if there is thousand cracks, i recommend you go for halfcut which might be far more cheaper than the new one.
Depends on the screen. If laminated, it will crack but will hold. If tempered, it will shatter to pieces, that one need to change immediately.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

bro,

i bough on toyota le body..which originally 8 valve..then i when bought 12 valve...toyota le engine...i try to insert the egine..oni right hand side....mounting oni can fit....the other moutning....not at all....and the cross..member also not fit.....is there..different cross member for 12 valve?
another thing....the drive sharp.....is it 8 valve and 12 valve same.......plz help me...bcoz im fixing on ma own.....thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience