Conversion GSR 1.8 Turbo (4G93T) - Wira/Satria/Putra

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Hi otai2 / king2.

My Case
I have one humble Wira SE (1.5 Auto) and I’m keen to do a GSR 4G93T halfcut swap from Japan stock. Currently, I have a new Myvi D20N-Advance (2018) as my daily ride. Though, I plan to pass this car down to my future wife for her commute to work to replace her Altis 1.8G 2009. I’m working in Klang as a HR Manager with gross income of 7k monthly with the Myvi loan only (no house commitment but soon in 2020). The reason for the swap is because of the car has been well taken care of by myself for the past 5 years (complete black interior Evo3 and Wira SE, SSCUS new seats), but the gearbox has start to show symptoms of failure. Now, before I post my question, the below are the list of supporting mods that was done to the car.

-Autofoam (A/C Pillar, Chassis)
-Ultra Racing (Full Set)
-Stiff Ring (Front/Back)
-Soundproof (Firewall, Door, Door Panel, Floor, Boot)

Help Needed
My question are as follows.

(1) Is 4G93T reliable for daily drive with occassional spirited driving? Engine stock and locked 2WD 4-speed autobox.

(2) Is the torque from 4G93T 2WD autobox too much for my chassis (C97)?

(3) Would 4G93T autobox be suitable to mod my Wira to become a cruiser? NVH, power delivery.

(4) What are the common problems that I should expect when I do GSR swap into my Wira?

(5) I’m trying to build a cruiser out of my Wira swapped GSR with decent torque pull in highway. On wide open throttle (WOT), would it pull easily in the range from 0-160 with the autobox?

(6) What are the cost that I need to be prepared for doing this transplant legally and safely? Assuming the halfcut cost between 11-12k.

(7) I’m doing a front Evo 3 twinpot brake and rear single pot brake upgrade, fully adjustable threaded AR Racing adjustable (5k/4k rate), and 16-inch Advanti lightweight rim with PS4 (205/50/16). Would these future supporting mods be enough to handle the GSR autobox swap?

(8) Any indicative RPM in 4th gear autobox with 16-inch rims at 110/140/160?

(9) Any comments on this swap? Preferably constructive ones.

Your advise would be great. If any were to indicate where I can do engine swap with reliable workmanship and price, that’d be best. I’m down for a yumcha session for this topic, so, hit me if you are keen.

Thanks!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Wait for sifu Sweelt to answer you. He drives a Wira with 4G93T engine too. Also C97 body but in sedan form unlike your aeroback.

To be honest if you ask me about the comments about this swap, I would say it costs roughly the same at the end if you buy another Wira with 4G93T and fix that car up. As you realize that the halfcut will cost you 11-12k, the other parts that you need to do to compliment this conversion won't come cheap as well.

Some of the things that you still need to equip to this car would be:
1. Adjustable suspension (most usually do this)
2. Larger brakes (the evo 3 brakes like you mentioned)
3. Full exhaust piping (as your original piping for your 4G15 is not sufficient)
4. Wheels (the Advanti like you said)
5. Tyres for these wheels (assuming your current tyre size is not suitable)

Now, if we add these 4 things on the list to your 11-12k halfcut, the final cost would come close to 20k. You need to remember to add on workmanship cost for the engine swap as well. Before that, a lot of things may need to be changed for the halfcut engine to ensure it runs smoothly since the engine is quite old. Like for example:

1. Engine oil
2. Gearbox oil
3. Spark plugs
4. Various oil seals
5. Engine mounting (if the ones in halfcut is not good anymore)
6. Brake fluid/oil
7. Various hoses ranging from radiator ones to intercooler

It is going to cost you several hundred or even 1k to 2k for all these. Looking at the final cost now, it will easily exceed 20k for sure. If you look at the used market for 4G93T swapped Wira, it will cost you like around 15k. It can be a bit more or lesser. Assuming you have 20k cash on hands, you can buy one at 15k, yet still have like 5k to fix up all the wear and tear in that car. You can even go for a better chassis like a C98 or C99 chassis instead of a C97. At the end, you get to keep your original Wira 1.5 and also another Wira with 4G93T.

I'm not saying that you must do as I suggested but you can consider about this option to see if it is worth it or not. Hope this helps you.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
To answer your question:

(1) Is 4G93T reliable for daily drive with occassional spirited driving? Engine stock and locked 2WD 4-speed autobox.
If you maintain it properly, yes. 2WD autobox cant handle the torque from the turbo engine. You'll need the turbo 4WD autobox.

(2) Is the torque from 4G93T 2WD autobox too much for my chassis (C97)?
Somewhat yes. But you already done autofoam and full UR bars. Nothing to worry about. Unless you're pushing 37kgm above of torque.

(3) Would 4G93T autobox be suitable to mod my Wira to become a cruiser? NVH, power delivery.
There's a lot different 4WD auto from mitsubishi. You will need to get the one that's meant for a GSR engine. I'm using one on my 4G93 single cam. The eco mode is definitely good for highway cruising and the PWR mode is spot on for spirited driving. Do install ATF cooler coz the gearbox is big and there's not much cooling area in the engine bay.

(4) What are the common problems that I should expect when I do GSR swap into my Wira?
Nothing much. Do the standards service before swap. i.e: timing belt change, engine flush, water pump and oil pump check, new engine mounts, larger front brakes (GSR half cut or EVOs twin pot), turbo service, etc.

(5) I’m trying to build a cruiser out of my Wira swapped GSR with decent torque pull in highway. On wide open throttle (WOT), would it pull easily in the range from 0-160 with the autobox?
With your stock turbo, you'll go well beyond 180kmh. LOL. The autobox on mine goes from 0-140kmh in a breeze. Heck, my cruising speed is between 140-160kmh. Yours will be better.

(6) What are the cost that I need to be prepared for doing this transplant legally and safely? Assuming the halfcut cost between 11-12k.
You can get the engine 'complete' all in with wiring and gearbox for around 6k-8k stock. Prep around RM13-15k all in including swap.

(7) I’m doing a front Evo 3 twinpot brake and rear single pot brake upgrade, fully adjustable threaded AR Racing adjustable (5k/4k rate), and 16-inch Advanti lightweight rim with PS4 (205/50/16). Would these future supporting mods be enough to handle the GSR autobox swap?
Yup. More then sufficient. The front spring rate you'll need 6k or 7k to support the heavy autobox.

(8) Any indicative RPM in 4th gear autobox with 16-inch rims at 110/140/160?
It really depends on the condition/health of your autobox. Rough estimate on eco mode: 3.5k rpm 110kmh, 4k rpm 140kmh, 5k rpm 160kmh

Your advise would be great. If any were to indicate where I can do engine swap with reliable workmanship and price, that’d be best. I’m down for a yumcha session for this topic, so, hit me if you are keen.
My mech in Bukit Kemuning, Shah Alam definitely can help you out. Let me know if you're interested, then we can go there for an intro and quote.

Reactions: Izso

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wait for sifu Sweelt to answer you. He drives a Wira with 4G93T engine too. Also C97 body but in sedan form unlike your aeroback.

To be honest if you ask me about the comments about this swap, I would say it costs roughly the same at the end if you buy another Wira with 4G93T and fix that car up. As you realize that the halfcut will cost you 11-12k, the other parts that you need to do to compliment this conversion won't come cheap as well.

Some of the things that you still need to equip to this car would be:
1. Adjustable suspension (most usually do this)
2. Larger brakes (the evo 3 brakes like you mentioned)
3. Full exhaust piping (as your original piping for your 4G15 is not sufficient)
4. Wheels (the Advanti like you said)
5. Tyres for these wheels (assuming your current tyre size is not suitable)

Now, if we add these 4 things on the list to your 11-12k halfcut, the final cost would come close to 20k. You need to remember to add on workmanship cost for the engine swap as well. Before that, a lot of things may need to be changed for the halfcut engine to ensure it runs smoothly since the engine is quite old. Like for example:

1. Engine oil
2. Gearbox oil
3. Spark plugs
4. Various oil seals
5. Engine mounting (if the ones in halfcut is not good anymore)
6. Brake fluid/oil
7. Various hoses ranging from radiator ones to intercooler

It is going to cost you several hundred or even 1k to 2k for all these. Looking at the final cost now, it will easily exceed 20k for sure. If you look at the used market for 4G93T swapped Wira, it will cost you like around 15k. It can be a bit more or lesser. Assuming you have 20k cash on hands, you can buy one at 15k, yet still have like 5k to fix up all the wear and tear in that car. You can even go for a better chassis like a C98 or C99 chassis instead of a C97. At the end, you get to keep your original Wira 1.5 and also another Wira with 4G93T.

I'm not saying that you must do as I suggested but you can consider about this option to see if it is worth it or not. Hope this helps you.
Swap engine on own car, is a journey worth doing unless not interested at all, moreover buying one already done, you don't know the history behind that car.....lol

Reactions: Izso and sanekit

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Swap engine on own car, is a journey worth doing unless not interested at all, moreover buying one already done, you don't know the history behind that car.....lol
Yup, do from ground up.
TS got pretty much cover wira handling.
Masuk engine jalan terus. Hahaha...

TS, my wira is daily ride. Engine all stock. 2yrs already.
GSR stock brake front, rear. Upgrade brake pads.
Manual gb 4wd lock 2wd.
Got bad brake servo, replaced with CRV servo.
Clutch oem vr4. Final. Early with 3 puck clutch then 4 puck. In fact Leg no pain already but not that suitable for daily.
Coilovers 6k/4k just nice. 8k/4k my butt not likey and shitty roads.
lightweight 15 inch wheels ssr type C. 195/55 rubber ps3.

If you can get manual box go for it. If u stuck in traffic everyday 1hr ++, auto always better. We talk practically.

Full Halfcut gsr auto last i see is 12.5k.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If can afford the bill, not a problem of worth doing or not. But if budget is limited or not sky high, is good to consider alternatives provided that the end goal is same or similar.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
If can afford the bill, not a problem of worth doing or not. But if budget is limited or not sky high, is good to consider alternatives provided that the end goal is same or similar.
Prefer start from zero. Always plan what next.
Not necessarily one shot do all up.
On the same time u learn through each stages.

Can buy readily converted car. Just the later cost is unexpected.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Exactly, not knowing the history could cost more later on......

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

With the price of Mitsubishi halfcut priced like how they are now, start from zero today is much more difficult than how it was like 10 years ago. But no one is right or wrong in this case.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Yup, do from ground up.
TS got pretty much cover wira handling.
Masuk engine jalan terus. Hahaha...

TS, my wira is daily ride. Engine all stock. 2yrs already.
GSR stock brake front, rear. Upgrade brake pads.
Manual gb 4wd lock 2wd.
Got bad brake servo, replaced with CRV servo.
Clutch oem vr4. Final. Early with 3 puck clutch then 4 puck. In fact Leg no pain already but not that suitable for daily.
Coilovers 6k/4k just nice. 8k/4k my butt not likey and shitty roads.
lightweight 15 inch wheels ssr type C. 195/55 rubber ps3.

If you can get manual box go for it. If u stuck in traffic everyday 1hr ++, auto always better. We talk practically.

Full Halfcut gsr autobox last i see is 12.5k.
u mean halfcut GSR auto? gearbox only around 2k++ with subframe and all. hehe

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
With the price of Mitsubishi halfcut priced like how they are now, start from zero today is much more difficult than how it was like 10 years ago. But no one is right or wrong in this case.
u need to do more search. there are places where u can get halfcuts or engine complete for a reasonable price. tbh, no need to go buy halftcut dy for TS. he already got the dash and everything else. just go buy engine complete with wiring, and speedo.

halfcut means the whole front cut complete with the front seat, dashboard cluster wiring, whole front body panels etc.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
u need to do more search. there are places where u can get halfcuts or engine complete for a reasonable price. tbh, no need to go buy halftcut dy for TS. he already got the dash and everything else. just go buy engine complete with wiring, and speedo.

halfcut means the whole front cut complete with the front seat, dashboard cluster wiring, whole front body panels etc.
No front seats, right?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi,

im having problem where my steering in the kelisa will tend to turn on its own when crossing uneven road, it would not stay straight and tight, it seems loose and quite dangerous when im driving fast

a tyre shop told me its the freeplay at steering bush, i just got it replaced so he suggested to wrap the bush making it thicker so void will be filled, less freeplay. but they will have to bring down steering rack or something like that which costs labor of rm150

as added info, im...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience