Saga FL 1.3 (M) | Need Standard Modding Advice

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
Hello sifu's,

I am interested in leveling up my FL, and have a roadmap in mind.
Hope sifu's can give me guidance on where to get the parts and where to get magic hand mechanics :)

Basically I am looking at daily driving improvement, and a little bit of Kuala Klawang'ing :D
No forced induction, just wanna improve the N/A Campro. I'd like replace some of the OEM parts with better aftermarket stuff, improving the basic functions and drive-ability. Looking towards Heavy Duty parts rather than R racing parts.

(I know things can google, but I prefer hearing from people who have experience in doing this to get better feedback)

Roadmap.
Pure copper grounding cables:
1.I heard welding cables are the best, does bro TitanRev still provide D.I.Y services for these?
Or any clue where on what good brands to get and where to get?
2.Voltage Regulator. I've heard arguments that these can be useless and give no improvement, and some people say they get increased performance. Any ideas?

Spark Plugs:
1.Good heavy duty spark plugs?
2.If I am planning to do a 1.6 stroker kit upgrade in the future, what are the recommended Spark Plugs for that? I have Iridiums in mind.

Steel braided Hoses for the front + better brake pads:
1.Any recommendation for reliable brands? And how much they roughly cost?
2.Rear Brakes will remain drum, any recommendation for better shoes?
3.Is it necessary to change the standard FL rotors to accommodate the better brake pads?

Springs:
1. Heavy Duty springs. My friend recommended D2 HD springs, are they reliable?

Short Throw Shifter:
1. Which would be better, D.I.Y the OEM shifter? or getting an aftermarket one, if so what are some reliable models?

Fuel Pressure Regulator:
1. Is this necessary as the FL already has this? Will it require an upgrade if going for 1.6 stroker?

Fuel Filter:
1. Denso or Bosch?

Change Radiator Hoses to Silicone:
1. Probably gonna go for Samco

Front/Rear Stabilizer Bar + Front Strut Bar:
1. I guess only UR, got any others?

Air Filter:
1.OEM air intake with BMC air filter.

Thats about it for now. Hope to get some good feedback from you sifu's :D
im not sifu, never will be, i just like to poke around and give people my biased opinion. hope you find a thing or two here interesting or useful.

Arguable, but i wouldn't bother unless you have ICE or ridiculous amount of accesories

Spark Plugs:
I'd go for Stock because your engine is stock, no compression increase or anything.

2.If I am planning to do a 1.6 stroker kit upgrade in the future, what are the recommended Spark Plugs for that? I have Iridiums in mind.

Iridium or not, not much performance gain, might need to get cooler plugs if you're stroking it, im not very sure if the compression increase if you stroke a campro also, better leave this to TitanRev

ProRS are pretty decent, 400-500, dont know SST got increase price or not (TQ Pakatan Harapan)

Dont really have to bother with brake shoes

3.Is it necessary to change the standard FL rotors to accommodate the better brake pads?

Get what they suggested up top, Tresticle Blue brakepads

Springs:

Please dont, unless you dont care about setup or handling, you may go ahead, im an avid hater for sport springs. Unless you're using some Improve Shock + Spring set, please dont F up the shocks and spring combination.

Short Throw Shifter:
1. Which would be better, D.I.Y the OEM shifter? or getting an aftermarket one, if so what are some reliable models?

just get an aftermarket one unless you know what and how to mod or you have a reliable person who know how to modify the OEM shifter

Fuel Pressure Regulator:
1. Is this necessary as the FL already has this? Will it require an upgrade if going for 1.6 stroker?

Nah, not really actually, decent FPR is going to set you back about 800, but works one will work, they're like 400? iinm

Fuel Filter:
1. Denso or Bosch?

original proton replacement

Please dont, there're no original samco in malaysia, and even if they do, original samco are 150-200 per piece. (people who get original please enlighten me as well as im looking for a variety of original samco hose)
might as well just use the original replacement.

no comment as im not a fan of f-ing up people's preference, but i can tell you what every bar do/affect.

Air Filter:

pretty decent choice

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Fuel Pressure Regulator:

Nah, not really actually, decent FPR is going to set you back about 800, but works one will work, they're like 400? iinm
eh, the saga FL fuel system is returnless right? i think i remember @TitanRev talking about him modding the thing just to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. or maybe i'm wrong.

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
eh, the saga FL fuel system is returnless right? i think i remember @TitanRev talking about him modding the thing just to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. or maybe i'm wrong.
eh? seriously? welcome to 1960. hahaha, not a fan of campro, the only campro at home is the most problematic one... lol

Reactions: sanekit

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Roadmap.
1.I heard welding cables are the best, does bro TitanRev still provide D.I.Y services for these?
Or any clue where on what good brands to get and where to get?
2.Voltage Regulator. I've heard arguments that these can be useless and give no improvement, and some people say they get increased performance. Any ideas?

I don't use any Voltage regulator. The only grounding I have is from the engine block to battery. Nothing more.

Spark Plugs:

Spark plugs even Iridium don't increase your WHP. So it's up to you..Iridium just provide you with longer lifespan. Better to invest to improve your ignition system by using something like a TM Works Ignite Rev. Spark plug, I'm using IT22. 1 grade above the stock heat range. For me the 1.3L is good enough for daily driving. 1.6 you can go if you want..No objection to that. If you ask my honest opinion, I will just keep using the 1.3L Why I say that because a good tuned up 1.3 campro on wheel dyno on DD can achieve around 100whp. Mine is rated at 98whp..with tuning of coz

I'm using ProRS brake hose..front one busted 1 time now the front I'm using Arospeed Satria Neo one. As for brakes, I'm on RapidStop 500c using TRW rotors and standard drums and brake shoes. No issue on track, the car is light and not that powerful so you don't need to overdo on the brakes.

Springs:

Don't waste time on sport spring. Just go for coilovers...saves you time and money in a long run...My Ftuned already 4 years+ no leaking *touch wood* from all the abuses on track and daily use.

Short Throw Shifter:

Your FL gearbox is different from mine, so you can change to a short shifter.

Fuel Pressure Regulator:

Your FL is still a return type fuel system so yeah you can install an adjustable FPR to play a bit with the fuel mapping. Your ECU is also different from mine. While yours can use a piggyback, mine cannot...but these days standalone is the way to go. But please don't ask your tuner to set for the pom pom...antilag or what ever 1 sec engine cool down thingy..that's lame IMO...
FLX on the other hand has a returnless system, so if your car runs lean like mine did and you don't want to use a standalone, have to plumb a return type system to make some adjustment to the fueling.

Fuel Filter:
1. Denso or Bosch?

Anything will do. just make sure it is change periodically

Don't waste money. Change to a bigger radiator is more worth it. Go for function instead of bling. I'm using a Synergy double layer full alu radiator. It helps a lot with the water temp control.

UR is the most you can find but there's another brand call 3Max. I'm using their 19mm rear ARB with drop links

Air Filter:

I just use a drop in from WORKS did nothing fancy with the intake pipe. Stock air box but smoothen the internal to aid some flow

Thats about it for now. Hope to get some good feedback from you sifu's :D
On other things, change to a 1.6 TB from. This helps with your mid to top end. Get a good set of exhaust system have the exhaust port joint there ported n polished and most importantly wrap your headers from top down pass your oil sump and the drive shaft boot. You can see the oil temp drop and stays below 95c on city driving and your oil temp can sustain longer abuse before getting very hot....without the exhaust wrap your oil temp will easily go above 100c to 110c even on normal driving from the heat of the exhaust. Oil cooler is the way to go but given how crappy or weak the stock oil pump gear is (too much free play)..I just don't want to risk it, the stock oil pump gear can't even supply good oil pressure at times to the 4th cylinder. If you want to install an oil cooler better upgrade the oil pump gear first and to have a better and stable oil pressure, swap your oil sump to a CFE one. It has a much better design on the oil pick up tube where the campro is lacking.
Happy modding and remember...Race, Rosak, Repair...

Reactions: sanekit

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
You probably have come across this before :

http://www.racenotrice.com/titanrevdiysaga.html

I've driven this car and it's super light, very easy to drive and corners like it's on rails. Personally since you're going Kuala Kelawanging you should focus more on the handling aspect of the FLX.
The article so old yer.....what a rubbish car....Hahahahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys I would liked to share this.....today I was driving my mom for breakfast in the morning(in JB) and when passing through a overhead bridge(for pedestrians 1) then suddenly a minor stone fell on my car.My windscreen got a minor chipped.After that I did not stop but were looking at the side mirror and see no 1 up there.Hope all drivers out there be more careful when passing through flyover:mad::mad:.Btw I wonder if those good tint on the market now which got some impact resistant will help??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience