how to improve the performance of 4G13 stock engine

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Yeah. Next time will take notice of it.

Which part of your car is affected by rust?

Today, I drove my Saga Iswara on highway for a short while. Got tailgated closely by a new facelifted Corolla Altis. As expected, my car can't pull away even when I go until over 150kmh and yet the Altis is still close behind my car. Even as I changed to left lane to overtake slower cars on right lane, the Altis still follows me.
bersangka baik, actually he mau tailgate to reduce fc, not to overtake!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
He is using your slipstream, so its very hard for you to pull away. Also it seems he is trying to bully you coz you drive iswara.
Last time got one saga follow me on highway, then I switch to 3rd and boost away, he still on my tail. Later found out it was a VR4 Saga.....lol

Reactions: sanekit and alcyon

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
He is using your slipstream, so its very hard for you to pull away. Also it seems he is trying to bully you coz you drive iswara.
I think he really is trying to bully. Because I was overtaking a lorry in front of me as I entered the highway. Altis from behind tried to cut ahead first but somehow blocked by me. I tried pulling away until over 150 and he is still getting closer. After I slowed down due to uneven roads (Ipoh section of highway, what to expect, lol), he overtook me. But he din't speed ahead. Just going at around 100-110.
You have to be super close to be able to use slipstream
Already very close.

bersangka baik, actually he mau tailgate to reduce fc, not to overtake!
Definitely not. He probably din't like it when he want to overtake the lorry in front of me but somehow got blocked by me because I switched to left lane first.

Dude... you did not just compare a 1.8 Toyota VVTI Altis with your 1.5 stock Iswara..... What is your purpose for sharing this?
I know I sure can't win. Just want to say that after a lot of fixing, it wasn't a problem for this 1.3 to go over 150kmh.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Definitely not. He probably din't like it when he want to overtake the lorry in front of me but somehow got blocked by me because I switched to left lane first.
U dont blocked him coz u switch to left lane first.Its bcoz your car is more powerful hence u reach the 'area' first.

This theory is backed by the fact the Altis is stucked behind u.

Eh, the islala is carburetted right?
why dont u webber it?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I think he really is trying to bully. Because I was overtaking a lorry in front of me as I entered the highway. Altis from behind tried to cut ahead first but somehow blocked by me. I tried pulling away until over 150 and he is still getting closer. After I slowed down due to uneven roads (Ipoh section of highway, what to expect, lol), he overtook me. But he din't speed ahead. Just going at around 100-110.
He has the more powerful car. Fairly sure you know that. So why did you temporarily speed up to 150km/h? Did you wish to not give way to him? Or was he flashing and honking to demand that you give way, hence forcing you to go faster than you intended?

Reactions: sanekit

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
He has the more powerful car. Fairly sure you know that. So why did you temporarily speed up to 150km/h? Did you wish to not give way to him? Or was he flashing and honking to demand that you give way, hence forcing you to go faster than you intended?
Most carb fed car have a secondary needle which will function above certain rpm.this allow more fuel to go inside the combustion chambers so more bang. Not just that, the sound is kinda macho. The FC on the other hand is hancur....

Last time when i drive the pajero i will downshift when going uphill. when i learn the carb on the engine have this function i just step on the gas more than halfway so i get extra power.Not vtec like but will get me over the hill without dropping a gear.

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
rust? at the roof railing, this one water leaking in when using high water pump at carwash.

as the oem doors skin has been replaced some years back as it was like bullet holes all over, now the reskinned door, the trimming edge rusted again. and the whole aquarium at the rear clean up, fix up, proper hole, and resprayed.

the hinge at the back bonnet, broken. u know it is aeroback, that 2 reverse light casing cost me rm50 each. really dunno laff or cry. hahahahah..

and some other hidden areas/egde and battery platform all rusted away and fixed up. today I drove it for 140kmh, guess what? elek exhaust smell, yeah...

last night tested the double servo, wasn't in my mind of the turn as it was dark, of course backside no cars or motorist, took a hard brake and make the 90 deg turn, lucky no turn turtle like ninja turtle. if the rear disc can sumbat into R13 I would have F it. but since I enjoy the R13 like a kereta kebal, so I live with rear drum. front, in short time I will change the ventilated, slotted/cross drilled rotor + high heat brake pad to match with that double servo.

now is interior need to be done. then is suspension.

for me, the car pick up is good. but it stall at 120-140kmh, it is good enuf for day to day town driving. bigger cc cars, on straight just kasi tepi, when come corner, go cucuk. big cars usually smaller balls, but straight line, 1.3 is bau asap... so diam diam... kekekeke... of course the 175/60/r13 has downside in cornering, but heck... just F it to cucuk 2.0cc like eh how come an islala behind me at cornering? am I slow? kekekeke... whatever it is... guys, always remember, live another day have better chances... don't bcos of a moment anger/thrill...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Last time got one saga follow me on highway, then I switch to 3rd and boost away, he still on my tail. Later found out it was a VR4 Saga.....lol
This is like the reverse of my situation yesterday. Saga tailgated you but for me, my Saga got tailgated.

U dont blocked him coz u switch to left lane first.Its bcoz your car is more powerful hence u reach the 'area' first.

This theory is backed by the fact the Altis is stucked behind u.

Eh, the islala is carburetted right?
why dont u webber it?
Twin weber setup? If I go for those, I need like above RM2k to buy those carbs alone. Now is not the time yet as the Iswara is a daily use car, not a weekend car.
He din't flash or anything. I just want to put a longer distance between me and him but he still follows on. Even when I switched to left to overtake slower cars on the right, he follows me.
Most carb fed car have a secondary needle which will function above certain rpm.this allow more fuel to go inside the combustion chambers so more bang. Not just that, the sound is kinda macho. The FC on the other hand is hancur....

Last time when i drive the pajero i will downshift when going uphill. when i learn the carb on the engine have this function i just step on the gas more than halfway so i get extra power.Not vtec like but will get me over the hill without dropping a gear.
I din't know about the secondary needle thing. Does it get activated automatically or you need to set it up?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I din't know about the secondary needle thing. Does it get activated automatically or you need to set it up?
The needle is mechanical using throttle cable. The ignition also changed and this is done using vacuum. On the pajero, when setting static timing, the vacuum hose to the distributor needs to be removed and plugged. If i recall, i will post some of the service manual which roughly explain this.

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
webber, if do not have the know how tiuner near you... I don't think it will have any effect. worse are, high fc, no power.

having a 60whp (I guess for this islala), 80-90whp and 300whp.

my experiences of driving the 60whp to 300whp, I appreciate the latter more. but the earlier has more fun in cucuking. bcos the latter, unless the same fleet/category, otherwise people will say big bully. I used to 300whp, to me is underpowered. now having 60whp, then drive 300whp... wa wa wa... appreciate it so much.

touching up the islala bill up to date rm3k and counting. I guess another rm2k to go for interior clean up, radio up, and most taxing is the aircon. dem curse item in my fleet of cars.

I saw in mudah people selling islala with 4g61 N/A for Rm5k yet I'm spending rm5k just to purified the 4g13p, but the memories on this islala are simply priceless...

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
webber, if do not have the know how tiuner near you... I don't think it will have any effect. worse are, high fc, no power.

having a 60whp (I guess for this islala), 80-90whp and 300whp.

my experiences of driving the 60whp to 300whp, I appreciate the latter more. but the earlier has more fun in cucuking. bcos the latter, unless the same fleet/category, otherwise people will say big bully. I used to 300whp, to me is underpowered. now having 60whp, then drive 300whp... wa wa wa... appreciate it so much.

touching up the islala bill up to date rm3k and counting. I guess another rm2k to go for interior clean up, radio up, and most taxing is the aircon. dem curse item in my fleet of cars.

I saw in mudah people selling islala with 4g61 N/A for Rm5k yet I'm spending rm5k just to purified the 4g13p, but the memories on this islala are simply priceless...
Oh yes, for sure priceless, My old saga made a nice exhaust note in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it also had rust, squeaks, rattles, chassis flex, enormous body roll, water ingestion..haha. Part of me misses that car, but another part doesn't.

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
u know, I really asked the workshop while they doing the rust management, if u take out the engine, the skin, part, re weld the frame, will u do it?

the bugger replied me, eh u better off buy new car.

whahahahah...

Reactions: alcyon

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The needle is mechanical using throttle cable. The ignition also changed and this is done using vacuum. On the pajero, when setting static timing, the vacuum hose to the distributor needs to be removed and plugged. If i recall, i will post some of the service manual which roughly explain this.
I will try ask my mechanic about this feature next time. But I'm not so sure if the Pajero carb is same as the one in Saga or not.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Twin weber setup? If I go for those, I need like above RM2k to buy those carbs alone. Now is not the time yet as the Iswara is a daily use car, not a weekend car.
No need twin leh, a single down draft is enough, can just adapt to existing manifold using adapter. I did to my Accord before, when OEM carb started to leak

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i m driving a waja 4g18 (M) 2004 end with minor mods. my version does not have abs and airbags.

currently i want to see if it is possible to retro-fit ABS into my waja. anyone done it before? any realiable service centers?? rouhly howmuch will it cost?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience