What to watch out when buying used Toyota Mark X?

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Are you asking @6UE5t ?
@6UE5t is busy out driving his Mark X, so no time to come to the forum for review.

If you want a review of a BMW E36 with 1JZ engine, can ask @Izso , he is always online because his car is for parking only, so he's free to answer your questions.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
@6UE5t is busy out driving his Mark X, so no time to come to the forum for review.

If you want a review of a BMW E36 with 1JZ engine, can ask @Izso , he is always online because his car is for parking only, so he's free to answer your questions.
sad but true

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hows your mark X doing now bro...can you share your experience?
you owned the GRX120 right?
Hi, its doing fine, very reliable, surprisingly pretty fuel efficient for this type of car which already a decade old too. I've done some minor mods on mine, like 4 pot calipers, stiffer suspension, and bigger/wider rims & tires, plus removal of the speed limiter just to make it a bit more fun but don't expect head snapping sports car performance. It's more of a highway cruiser that accelerates smoothly but continuously up to 240-250kph. Basically I'd highly recommend it for those who are looking for a reliable daily driven car yet a bit more sporty characteristics and more powerful than the typical Camry/Accord/Mazda 6.

Why? Do you want to buy one? :biggrin:

Reactions: HOE king

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Well just lately very busy with work, plus I just bought a 2008 Swift Sport for my son. Just got the car this morning. :)
But yeah, I drive the X every day.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well just lately very busy with work, plus I just bought a 2008 Swift Sport for my son. Just got the car this morning. :)
The Suzuki will be your weekend car.......lol

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
How's that stick shift? Hehehe. Nimble, and responsive.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The Suzuki will be your weekend car.......lol
For now I'll use it everyday until my boy can drive and need to use later. So the X will be resting a bit.

How's that stick shift? Hehehe. Nimble, and responsive.
It's quite short and precise shift, a bit notchy though. Quite fun and zippy but the gear ratio is very short so rpms pretty high on highway drives. Handling is nice, light and toss-able with good cornering stability. It already came with Eibach Pro-kit and wafer thin 205/40 tires on 17 rims so the ride is too harsh for me. I'm planning to downgrade it to stock 16' rims or maybe even 15' (but very difficult to find small 15' with 5x114.3 pcd!). Overall nice pocket rocket, and I'm enjoying to drive manual again so far, reminding me of my old CB5 from a decade ago, just a simple light car to play around.

MKMD428

500 RPM

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
Hi, its doing fine, very reliable, surprisingly pretty fuel efficient for this type of car which already a decade old too. I've done some minor mods on mine, like 4 pot calipers, stiffer suspension, and bigger/wider rims & tires, plus removal of the speed limiter just to make it a bit more fun but don't expect head snapping sports car performance. It's more of a highway cruiser that accelerates smoothly but continuously up to 240-250kph. Basically I'd highly recommend it for those who are looking for a reliable daily driven car yet a bit more sporty characteristics and more powerful than the typical Camry/Accord/Mazda 6.

Why? Do you want to buy one? :biggrin:
Yup..looking to buy one, but only can afford GRX120 for cash buy.
I have a long term idea of putting ROTREX SC to the engine once i bought and got acclimatize with the mark X. But the nearest goal is to own one first.

I also noticed that some GRX120 got push start and heck some even rare with rear wipers. I dont mind much about bodykits though since it is still available out there (i like vertiga bodykit)
I got a few additional questions...how do you remove the speed limiter? is it by reflash or just install RSM/ultra/pivot/etc...because if i am not mistaken, theres no wiring diagram for Apexi RSM, dont know about other speed meters

and how's the wear and tear in comparison to camry in terms of price and availability.
and since it is quite sometime you own one...what are the common issues on the mark X

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup..looking to buy one, but only can afford GRX120 for cash buy.
I have a long term idea of putting ROTREX SC to the engine once i bought and got acclimatize with the mark X. But the nearest goal is to own one first.

I also noticed that some GRX120 got push start and heck some even rare with rear wipers. I dont mind much about bodykits though since it is still available out there (i like vertiga bodykit)
I got a few additional questions...how do you remove the speed limiter? is it by reflash or just install RSM/ultra/pivot/etc...because if i am not mistaken, theres no wiring diagram for Apexi RSM, dont know about other speed meters

and how's the wear and tear in comparison to camry in terms of price and availability.
and since it is quite sometime you own one...what are the common issues on the mark X
Ah IC. For Rotrex installation, you need to spend about 15-16k for new kit. The SC it self should cost you around 9K new, otherwise can try source a good used one which should be around rm3k maybe. Last time got a few who have installed but got some complication with the mapping (coz they sell the kit without remap and nobody back then knew how to remap the ECU!) hence some may experience knocking while others may got lucky and running more smoothly. But nowadays probably should be safer coz now already got a few shops who can remap the ECU. I have been thinking to install myself also once already got shops who can remap, but still not deciding since I'm actually also considering to sell mine! :biggrin:

This car has many variation in options since it's JDM, so things like push start, electric seats, ionizer, long LED interior lamp etc2 can vary too. So depends on what you need.

Speed limiter can be removed by 2 ways: either you install HKS VAC for Mark X (which I have), or you reflash the ECU. Back then when I got the car, not many shops can reflash so we use the HKS VAC but now quite a few can reflash already. APEXi RSM is not really recommended because it's actually not compatible and has a risk that it doesn't work in sync with the 6 speed gearbox. Got some people who have managed to get it working but its not easy job and need to be done by people who really knows how to wire and set it up. Other speed meters or speed removal module are also not compatible.

Wear & tear is very comparable to Camry and very reasonable for this type of car. Parts still quite easy to find and chop shop parts are also still abundant, and most parts are interchangeable with Lexus IS250/GS250/GS300. For common issues, really nothing much worth mentioning coz the car is really bullet proof. I barely spent anything to repair mine. Most of the money spent is on modifying/upgrading it rather than repairing which is great! :biggrin:

MKMD428

500 RPM

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
Ah IC. For Rotrex installation, you need to spend about 15-16k for new kit. The SC it self should cost you around 9K new, otherwise can try source a good used one which should be around rm3k maybe. Last time got a few who have installed but got some complication with the mapping (coz they sell the kit without remap and nobody back then knew how to remap the ECU!) hence some may experience knocking while others may got lucky and running more smoothly. But nowadays probably should be safer coz now already got a few shops who can remap the ECU. I have been thinking to install myself also once already got shops who can remap, but still not deciding since I'm actually also considering to sell mine! :biggrin:

This car has many variation in options since it's JDM, so things like push start, electric seats, ionizer, long LED interior lamp etc2 can vary too. So depends on what you need.

Speed limiter can be removed by 2 ways: either you install HKS VAC for Mark X (which I have), or you reflash the ECU. Back then when I got the car, not many shops can reflash so we use the HKS VAC but now quite a few can reflash already. APEXi RSM is not really recommended because it's actually not compatible and has a risk that it doesn't work in sync with the 6 speed gearbox. Got some people who have managed to get it working but its not easy job and need to be done by people who really knows how to wire and set it up. Other speed meters or speed removal module are also not compatible.

Wear & tear is very comparable to Camry and very reasonable for this type of car. Parts still quite easy to find and chop shop parts are also still abundant, and most parts are interchangeable with Lexus IS250/GS250/GS300. For common issues, really nothing much worth mentioning coz the car is really bullet proof. I barely spent anything to repair mine. Most of the money spent is on modifying/upgrading it rather than repairing which is great! :biggrin:
Great!! thanks for the reply bro, if i am not mistaken its already 6 years you own mark x right? its good to know the car is not problematic (i thought so, since it is toyota).

Thanks again for the infos!!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For now I'll use it everyday until my boy can drive and need to use later. So the X will be resting a bit.

It's quite short and precise shift, a bit notchy though. Quite fun and zippy but the gear ratio is very short so rpms pretty high on highway drives. Handling is nice, light and toss-able with good cornering stability. It already came with Eibach Pro-kit and wafer thin 205/40 tires on 17 rims so the ride is too harsh for me. I'm planning to downgrade it to stock 16' rims or maybe even 15' (but very difficult to find small 15' with 5x114.3 pcd!). Overall nice pocket rocket, and I'm enjoying to drive manual again so far, reminding me of my old CB5 from a decade ago, just a simple light car to play around.
Fall in love with the Sports, give Mark X to son......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of repainting my satria neo R3 in a matte color. something like the original fire red but in matte finish. i am hoping if you all can recommend me a shop or something for me to get an estimate. thanks~
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience