Exhaust modification

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Guys,

I have a 3" straight flow exhaust setup on my turbo car. I have a mid-box resonator (pretty large one and is straight flow) and a pretty large straight flow rear muffler. But it's still loud and the droning at 2.6-3k rpm is killing me since I'm in that rev range a lot.

I've been reading up about side-branch resonators and helmholtz resonators. It's those weird branch exhaust add-ons that apparently take away the droning by cancelling out certain frequencies depending on length of the resonator.

Anyone tried this with positive results?

images.jpg images2.jpg

Reactions: Kevinho

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
my suggestion is better and cheaper to go with dual resonator instead...

this frequency tune especially exhaust require a lot of trial and error...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have seen Adam LZ doing this on his 350z, dual. Useless. Apparently well known brand still.
Well known brand? Didn't know there's branded resonators out there. It didn't help to reduce the drone for Adam LZ? I'll go google this.

my suggestion is better and cheaper to go with dual resonator instead...

this frequency tune especially exhaust require a lot of trial and error...
Well, if I can't fit another reso then I won't really have much of a choice. Trial and error is scary

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is the reason, I don't use my VR for outstation. The droning is really bad........lol

Reactions: sanekit

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
change back to ori setup with bigger inch pipe not more than 2.5 inch, it will be smooth and nice sound like feel nothing..:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
change back to ori setup with bigger inch pipe not more than 2.5 inch, it will be smooth and nice sound like feel nothing..:biggrin:
I'd have to change a lot of things if I did that. Including the downpipe, manifold, turbo housing... not gonna happen

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What about the resonator box you have been asking the rest to try out, will that unit help?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So getting a box with that size also less? Never touch exhaust for a long time already. My VR one stainless steel since transplant......lol
Not less, just not a lot of demand so not a lot of people sell

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
no cuz I need 3".. that's 2" only.

i got a suggestion... find a place where lorry/busses do their exhaust... those kind of shop can custom muffler?resonator according to your size...small or big also can...

coz 3" is common for lorry and busses...

downside is probably come in normal mild steel...no SS material..

Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Let's see how it goes. Until I get the car back I won't know how best to proceed.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys i've installed my apexi turbo timer ( original ) nearly 1 month plus hasn't had any problem until recently i used a carb spray that my foremen recommended me as he uses it for all his client's cars..

So engine turned on , throttle body opened sprayed it in. After that when it's done the dirt starts to leak out the TB and it's wiped

when i turn my engine off , turbo timer set to 30secs - the rev spikes up and down as tho it had a high cam but not low enough to feel like its...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience