how to improve the performance of 4G13 stock engine

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
vr2tebu,
i guess so, and those GST add on, devalued against USD, etc... habis...

renesis,
indeed same situation. i dont even dare to check the price of a 1994/1995 iswara... bcos scare i might fall off from chair... from your number rm800, really no eye see.

this iswara that im going to take over, did a top overhaul few years back, basically it is in running condition, but just not up to my preferences, of course at such, POKET PECAH is inevitable. it is just the matter, how far/deep im into fixing it up.

- fixing those holes/leakages as of raining front passenger seat will be flooded, (unknown where leak, need to get it check)
- did an intensive read up on 4g13 vs 4g15 vs 4g18

The SOHC 4G13 displaces 1.3 L 12 valves (1298 cc) (73 hp) with a bore and stroke of 71.0 mm x 82.0 mm
The SOHC 4G15 displaces 1.5 L (1,468 cc) with a bore and stroke of 75.5 mm x 82.0 mm.
The SOHC 4G18 displaces en el1.6 L (1,584 cc) with a bore and stroke of 76.0 mm x 87.3 mm.

basically the block of 13/15 are the same except the stroke/crankshaft. on theory if im heading for 18 internal which crank, conrod and piston, i can literally bore my existing 13 block to fit. the issue will be to bore 5.3mm x 4 cylinders = 21.2mm, i dunno how reliable the block will be thereafter. many reviews saying ok, no issue, depend on enginnering machine that boring it, depend mekanik skill and so on so forth. so my take will be if i able to find the right block, 18 internal, i might go for it, else i stick to 13. what i will do is port n polish but that also subjective.

ultimately, just want to keep that car and keep my mom happy that we arent selling it off as it was part of her blood and sweat to pay for it too. just to keep it clean, running and fixing up those what supposed to be.

really thank you for sharing the cost of your fixing up the iswara. that at least giving me a guideline that what i supposed to lookout for. to complete make over, it would easily cost few more Ks... which i do not think i will go for that... unless strike 4D with my oldman's blessing. kekekeke...
get it into running state. Don kacuk, rojak the engine. Prefer u find other car to mod in future.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
vr2tebu,
i guess so, and those GST add on, devalued against USD, etc... habis...

renesis,
indeed same situation. i dont even dare to check the price of a 1994/1995 iswara... bcos scare i might fall off from chair... from your number rm800, really no eye see.

this iswara that im going to take over, did a top overhaul few years back, basically it is in running condition, but just not up to my preferences, of course at such, POKET PECAH is inevitable. it is just the matter, how far/deep im into fixing it up.

- fixing those holes/leakages as of raining front passenger seat will be flooded, (unknown where leak, need to get it check)
- did an intensive read up on 4g13 vs 4g15 vs 4g18

The SOHC 4G13 displaces 1.3 L 12 valves (1298 cc) (73 hp) with a bore and stroke of 71.0 mm x 82.0 mm
The SOHC 4G15 displaces 1.5 L (1,468 cc) with a bore and stroke of 75.5 mm x 82.0 mm.
The SOHC 4G18 displaces en el1.6 L (1,584 cc) with a bore and stroke of 76.0 mm x 87.3 mm.

basically the block of 13/15 are the same except the stroke/crankshaft. on theory if im heading for 18 internal which crank, conrod and piston, i can literally bore my existing 13 block to fit. the issue will be to bore 5.3mm x 4 cylinders = 21.2mm, i dunno how reliable the block will be thereafter. many reviews saying ok, no issue, depend on enginnering machine that boring it, depend mekanik skill and so on so forth. so my take will be if i able to find the right block, 18 internal, i might go for it, else i stick to 13. what i will do is port n polish but that also subjective.

ultimately, just want to keep that car and keep my mom happy that we arent selling it off as it was part of her blood and sweat to pay for it too. just to keep it clean, running and fixing up those what supposed to be.

really thank you for sharing the cost of your fixing up the iswara. that at least giving me a guideline that what i supposed to lookout for. to complete make over, it would easily cost few more Ks... which i do not think i will go for that... unless strike 4D with my oldman's blessing. kekekeke...
For the water issue try to look at the plastic cover inside the door which is behind the door trim. It could be that the plastic is torn and it causes water to seep inside the interior.

So, from what you are writing, it sounds like you are trying to restore back this Saga Iswara into its former glory? For mine, that is what I want to do but I will prioritize mechanical bits first and will only move to fixing the exterior once all the mechanical bits are done. Engine wise, I think everything is working nicely now, so no problems there. Absorbers are all damaged already as I can feel that the car is like bouncing after going through a speed bump with slightly higher speed. So the next thing on mind would be doing the absorbers. After that is done, I think there is nothing else already to fix up for this car except the exterior like changing all the external door skins and hood due to rust bubble issue.

Not a problem sharing it with you as reading your story reminded me a lot of my own situation. But do bear in mind that the repair costs might be slightly higher for you as you are living in JB unlike me in Ipoh. And my mechanic is just an uncle who fixes cars in front of his own house compound, therefore the labour charges that he collects is also lower.

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
vr2 & sweelt,
yeah, as of now i guess it is in running condition, just not to my mark... so butt itch ask ask ask what to do with it, ultimately still boil down to dollar and cent. dont get me wrong for being a time waster, i do have intention for its upgrade, just looking at what other options by seeking the otais here that been there and done it.

thanks for the notes...

renesis,
yup, i do have the ambition to restore it to former glory. indeed what i'm looking at the moment is the mechanical upgrades/restoring, reason for that is bcos im thinking to overhaul it, so might as well, do it all togther rather 1 by 1 later on. in mind really wanted 4g15 block/head + EFI/VDO if i can find 1. else i'm good with 4g13 but surely need to fix/rework on the plug cables, brakes, carb, etc. and also power steering... driving a non power steering, i really a little bit sweating... hahahha.... will update the ongoing progress of this, for that for those have intention to redo/rework/restore old car that has sentimental value vs dollar n cent really tough nut to crack...

thanks guys... have a good weekend...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The 1.3 engine is too small to mod. How much more can you squeeze out from it? Best is a transplant at least to 1.5L first or best if can get a 1.6L.....lol

firezy

Aug 28, 2004
kekekeke... ok ok... just find the 4G15 block/head... stay in tune...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
vr2 & sweelt,
yeah, as of now i guess it is in running condition, just not to my mark... so butt itch ask ask ask what to do with it, ultimately still boil down to dollar and cent. dont get me wrong for being a time waster, i do have intention for its upgrade, just looking at what other options by seeking the otais here that been there and done it.

thanks for the notes...

renesis,
yup, i do have the ambition to restore it to former glory. indeed what i'm looking at the moment is the mechanical upgrades/restoring, reason for that is bcos im thinking to overhaul it, so might as well, do it all togther rather 1 by 1 later on. in mind really wanted 4g15 block/head + EFI/VDO if i can find 1. else i'm good with 4g13 but surely need to fix/rework on the plug cables, brakes, carb, etc. and also power steering... driving a non power steering, i really a little bit sweating... hahahha.... will update the ongoing progress of this, for that for those have intention to redo/rework/restore old car that has sentimental value vs dollar n cent really tough nut to crack...

Mine is without power steering. At first I was not used to it but after driving it everyday, it makes no difference to me already. Sort of trained my arm muscles, hahaha.

thanks guys... have a good weekend...
The 1.3 engine is too small to mod. How much more can you squeeze out from it? Best is a transplant at least to 1.5L first or best if can get a 1.6L.....lol
Actually by restoring everything back to good condition also can provide adequate power already. For normal driving of not more than 100kmh, should be enough. More powerful than those Myvi auto, Axia auto, new Saga auto.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
He wants more oomph......hahhahahhaa
Want more oomph got trade offs. Later FC suffer if too much oomph, hahaha. But if do a little add on, won't affect FC like my Wira change whole exhaust system. FC remains same, but power improved.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
But his 1.3L only, better just leave it alone.....lol
That is why like I said, restoring it back to good condition should give satisfactory oomph + reliability. :biggrin: Get the engine running well first. If after that still not satisfied, then only think of what to do next. Learn to walk before start to run. :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is why like I said, restoring it back to good condition should give satisfactory oomph + reliability. :biggrin: Get the engine running well first. If after that still not satisfied, then only think of what to do next. Learn to walk before start to run. :driver:
Just use as is loh! If want oomph need 1.6L at least.....lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone tried this X1R oil additive before? Need a feedback regards the product b4 using it on my car.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience