Suggestions for 14" tyres

Jan 28, 2018
Puchong
Shopping for 175/65R14 or 185/60R14 tyres of my Myvi, seems like very limited choices these days without going into 15 inch wheels and sacrificing the ride comfort.

So far I gathered there are Continental Comfort Contact 6, Toyo Nano Energy 3, Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 (standard on Bezza), and Hankook Kinergy EX H308(standard on Axia Advance). Are there are choices? Or, if between the 4, which is the more recommended one with decent dry/wet grip?

Main usage is city drive with occasional interstate (like maybe every quarter of the year or so)

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Shopping for 175/65R14 or 185/60R14 tyres of my Myvi, seems like very limited choices these days without going into 15 inch wheels and sacrificing the ride comfort.

So far I gathered there are Continental Comfort Contact 6, Toyo Nano Energy 3, Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 (standard on Bezza), and Hankook Kinergy EX H308(standard on Axia Advance). Are there are choices? Or, if between the 4, which is the more recommended one with decent dry/wet grip?

Main usage is city drive with occasional interstate (like maybe every quarter of the year or so)
Tyre choices for these 2 sizes got a lot, only if you want performance tyres then limited or probably none except for extreme category.....lol

Most choices in these sizes are eco and entry level. They are about the same in usage, more for comfort and durability.
Other than the 4 above, there is Michelin XM2, Dunlop J05, Achilles 122, Falken Sincera 832i, Yokohama Bluearth AE-01, Nexen Nblue HD Plus, Kumho KH17, Rovelo RHP A68 and RHP 78 to name a few

Other brand like GT Radial, Accelera, Giti from Indonesia. Apollo tyres from India, and a whole lot of other brands from China....

G-Mart

Jan 28, 2018
Puchong
Well, yeah, there are a lot more choices, but seems like the ones that kept coming up are these 4. Not trying to be super cheap but something offering a decent balance of grip in both wet and dry. Don't really care for durability since, well, this car only does at best 10,000km a year, so, even by the time the tyres are expired, it had only done 35k-40k kilometers only.

I do realise there aren't any high performance options at all. Oh well.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
At this size, I think they perform more or less the same. For me, I am using Good Year Duraplus 185/60/14 for my front tyres and they don't grip that well in wet conditions. It can break traction easily as well during gear changes at hard acceleration.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
At this size, I think they perform more or less the same. For me, I am using Good Year Duraplus 185/60/14 for my front tyres and they don't grip that well in wet conditions. It can break traction easily as well during gear changes at hard acceleration.
Your duraplus if not mistaken Traction rating B only.....:smokin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, yeah, there are a lot more choices, but seems like the ones that kept coming up are these 4. Not trying to be super cheap but something offering a decent balance of grip in both wet and dry. Don't really care for durability since, well, this car only does at best 10,000km a year, so, even by the time the tyres are expired, it had only done 35k-40k kilometers only.

I do realise there aren't any high performance options at all. Oh well.
The entry level tyres as long as branded like the 4 you mentioned are about the same. Should not got wrong with any of them for normal use. Well, have some feedback the the Toyo's are okay too....:driver:

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Should be about rm90 to rm120 for this level of tyres ? 14''

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Strongly recommend XM2 but price is steep and by the time its harden i bet u still have 1/2 thread left.

Viking City tech justify the price tag with its so-so grip and high noise level.

Silverstone synergy?? do i get this right?
well below Viking in term of grip but seems to be quiter.

Michelin Certis..not sure in production anymore or not...cheaper than XM2 but perform the same.

those are the 14inchers i have experienced before.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Your duraplus if not mistaken Traction rating B only.....:smokin:
Nope. Traction A. The one for B is temperature rating.

Should be about rm90 to rm120 for this level of tyres ? 14''
I don't think so unless you are buying very cheap tyres. Even 13 inch tyres are not this cheap. 14 inch should be around RM140-180.

Strongly recommend XM2 but price is steep and by the time its harden i bet u still have 1/2 thread left.

Viking City tech justify the price tag with its so-so grip and high noise level.

Michelin Certis..not sure in production anymore or not...cheaper than XM2 but perform the same.

There is another tyre that can be counted as a budget Michelin is BF Goodrich Advantage T/A. BF Goodrich is under Michelin now.

Viking City Tech is better than Goodyear Duraplus in my opinion.

Huh, that's even worse than the already crappy CC5/6 from Continental leh!
Traction rating is A, not B, lol.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nope. Traction A. The one for B is temperature rating.

I don't think so unless you are buying very cheap tyres. Even 13 inch tyres are not this cheap. 14 inch should be around RM140-180.

There is another tyre that can be counted as a budget Michelin is BF Goodrich Advantage T/A. BF Goodrich is under Michelin now.

Viking City Tech is better than Goodyear Duraplus in my opinion.

Traction rating is A, not B, lol.
Temp rating B is also bad loh! :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Michelin Certis discon long time already.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Use the BFGoodridge tyres. I use on my wifes Myvi and cornering is way better than the cheaper Viking tyres I use on my other Myvi. BFG has reasonably good water dispersion too.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everyone, i'm seeking a set of exhaust system for my subaru forester SF5, from downpipe to rear muffler. Anyone if wanna sell off theirs or have any idea any place has it please give a tinkle. Many thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience