Thoughts on possible old vehicle scrapping policy?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Seems like it has been a bit quiet at here lately and I can't think of anything much to discuss about. So, I think some of you may have heard of this topic being resurfaced again recently.

What kind of thoughts do you all have on this policy? Do you think they really will implement it and if so, how will they do it? Compulsory scrapping for old vehicles or they will do something like periodic inspection checks like Shaken inspection at Japan to determine road worthiness or introducing COE kind of system like Singapore?

I'm driving an 18 year old car which makes me a bit worried if they introduce a compulsory scrapping policy. If this really happens, it will be quite hard for me to find a good replacement for my current car considering I want to drive a manual transmission.

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Agree your point go for "inspection". At least is fair to owner and for safety concern.
Not every state have good public transport.
Scrap off import duty, excise duty ? No way.
Pay another loan ? No way.
Exchange car basis ? No f**king way..:biggrin:
Eat kfc, mcd or some say texas first.... this story not new, but look like going to happen. Election first lah. :secruity:

Last edited:

alcyon

500 RPM

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
It's been tried before, especially back in 2011, what makes you think they will succeed this time? They know very well the low income voters will crucify them.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
F*ck those dumbass policy makers. It works in Singapore doesn't mean it'll work here. The average age of cars owned by M'sian is way over 8 years so if that were to happen, you'll end up with a lot of scrap cars, used car dealers will go bankrupt, everyone will be driving shitty ass cheap cars because no one can afford more expensive ones and I personally will curse and swear at every politician at every and any event I come across.

And like what alcyon said - they'll get crucified in the upcoming elections

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Agree your point go for "inspection". At least is fair to owner and for safety concern.
Not every state have good public transport.
Scrap off import duty, excise duty ? No way.
Pay another loan ? No way.
Exchange car basis ? No f**king way..:biggrin:
Eat kfc, mcd or some say texas first.... this story not new, but look like going to happen. Election first lah. :secruity:
Yeah. Even with Singapore's strict rules to reduce cars on their roads, they din't make it a compulsory thing to scrap off old cars. You can keep your old car but you have to pay a price for it. Just hope it doesn't get any worse than this.

True about public transport. It is not even that good in KL. You can't really go anywhere by just solely relying on public transport unless you want to spend a lot of time changing different transport.

I heard about stuff like giving back some money or incentives for those who scrap their cars but the question is, how much can they compensate back? Now for example if I am driving an old first generation Proton Saga. I scrap the car off and what sort of replacement can I get for the car? Probably these :

1. Cheapest alternative, RM24k base spec Axia
2. Similar alternative, RM37k base spec Saga

If the old Saga owner usage requires things like boot space, you can't possibly expect the owner to change to a small car like Axia as it does not fit his or her requirements. That means, they probably need to go for something like the base spec Saga for 37k or maybe Bezza which is also similarly priced.

Now, if this old Saga owner scrapped away the car, how much can they compensate in order for him or her to buy a new Saga or Bezza? At most probably just RM5k? I don't think they can give something like RM30k compensation. That means this policy will just create unnecessary burden for these category of people where they will need to fork out at least few hundred ringgit a month for the new car's installment. Insurance rates will also be much higher in a new car compared to the old car. This won't do any good for those with income that is barely enough to sustain their necessities.

It's been tried before, especially back in 2011, what makes you think they will succeed this time? They know very well the low income voters will crucify them.
I hope it will be like before where this scrapping policy will be scrapped. :rofl:

parakey

1,000 RPM

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
they will do something like periodic inspection checks like Shaken inspection at Japan to determine road worthiness
I own an old car but judging from the state of the some old bangers we see on the roads, I grudgingly have to agree with the above. For the safety of the other road users, that's the very least they have to do.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Read this before last time. It was a heated session over there. :biggrin:

I own an old car but judging from the state of the some old bangers we see on the roads, I grudgingly have to agree with the above. For the safety of the other road users, that's the very least they have to do.
To be honest, the condition of the car itself is not usually the factor that causes road accidents. I mean, how many times in Malaysia have you heard of some cases where old cars causing accidents because of malfunction? The most glaring factor is usually the driver itself, be it the one driving the car or another driver in other cars. Banning all old cars on the roads probably won't change much to the the road accident statistic count.

At the end, I really don't hope they will do something that kills off old cars without any exceptions. If so, that will be a sad day for the automotive scene in Malaysia especially to many of those old school car groups and enthusiasts that has been growing well recently. An old car that is well maintained will perform its functions just as well as a newer car, albeit with lesser safety features.

parakey

1,000 RPM

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
To be honest, the condition of the car itself is not usually the factor that causes road accidents. I mean, how many times in Malaysia have you heard of some cases where old cars causing accidents because of malfunction? The most glaring factor is usually the driver itself, be it the one driving the car or another driver in other cars. Banning all old cars on the roads probably won't change much to the the road accident statistic count.

An old car that is well maintained will perform its functions just as well as a newer car, albeit with lesser safety features.
Uhm, I dont mean banning old cars but having mandatory periodic inspections to ensure they are road worthy. If it's not road worthy, then it shouldn't be on the road.

I just viewed the dashcam recording of the recent Seremban R&R accident. I can't help but wonder if that trailer was indeed roadworthy.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In Malaysia, land is still relatively plenty and traffic jams are not too bad so no reason for scraping old cars like in SG. What is more important is road worthiness, so inspection is the way to go, like in more developed countries. Newer cars if not good handling and even worse using shitty tires will still be more dangerous than older cars with good handling and better tires! If MY gov takes such policy, this is the same short cut thinking like the stupid road tax calculation policy, just pure dumb! :stupid:

If this policy really materialize, then I will be depressed coz I cannot afford newer cars that I like, yet old cars that I like and can afford will be gone! :banghead:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Uhm, I dont mean banning old cars but having mandatory periodic inspections to ensure they are road worthy. If it's not road worthy, then it shouldn't be on the road.

I just viewed the dashcam recording of the recent Seremban R&R accident. I can't help but wonder if that trailer was indeed roadworthy.
Sorry if I din't write it clearly enough. I know that you don't mean banning old cars but my statement is more towards the safety of older cars is used as a reason to implement this system. Road worthiness is important but still not really the main factor in causing accidents over here. I just felt that they used this as a weak excuse to implement this system.

Perhaps I should take a look at the Seremban R&R accident dashcam video.

In Malaysia, land is still relatively plenty and traffic jams are not too bad so no reason for scraping old cars like in SG. What is more important is road worthiness, so inspection is the way to go, like in more developed countries. Newer cars if not good handling and even worse using shitty tires will still be more dangerous than older cars with good handling and better tires! If MY gov takes such policy, this is the same short cut thinking like the stupid road tax calculation policy, just pure dumb! :stupid:

If this policy really materialize, then I will be depressed coz I cannot afford newer cars that I like, yet old cars that I like and can afford will be gone! :banghead:
I agree. The best thing that they can do without upsetting too many people would be implementing a mandatory inspection for older vehicles. If they do a purge on all old cars regardless of their condition, that sounds like a very unwise choice and it might even cause an uproar among people.

One thing that I would like to ask you would be situation in Indonesia. What is the fate for old cars over there? Do they need to go through inspections or are there any kinds of regulations that try to discourage people from using old cars?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

the trailer need every 6months inspection.. yet tyre still explode...

even with such short timeframe within 6month tyre can degrade that much??

alcyon

500 RPM

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
the trailer need every 6months inspection.. yet tyre still explode...

even with such short timeframe within 6month tyre can degrade that much??
Probably over inflate, those lorry drivers love to do that. Heard one of those tyres explode while leaving the petrol station, damn scary.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Probably over inflate, those lorry drivers love to do that. Heard one of those tyres explode while leaving the petrol station, damn scary.
high chance they actually rent good tyre for inspection

and after passed the inspection they put back their own old tyre...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Q1: Is Satria 1.6's chassis much stiffer than 1.3's?

Q2: Is't reliable & safe to fit VR4 RS's 4G63T into Satria 1.3 for long term usage? Damn scare will torture the chassis leh... Forget about JPJ approval... I got my way :D

Q3: Is there huge weight difference between VR4's 4G63T & Evo's 4G63T? Then how about 4G93T? Which one suits Satria best? I don't want front : rear weight ratio over unbalance ler...

Q4: How's the fuel consumption between these 3 respectively when driving...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience