Proton saga air cond problem

fza

Sep 12, 2017
I would like to get some inputs, it started with my aircon start coming out misty smoke, then it stop cooling . I went n refill the gas but the mechanic told me that i need to change the cooling coil due to that its already rusty and the gas is leaking. he says the range is between RM400-700 to open and change to new cooling coil. Any advice?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I would like to get some inputs, it started with my aircon start coming out misty smoke, then it stop cooling . I went n refill the gas but the mechanic told me that i need to change the cooling coil due to that its already rusty and the gas is leaking. he says the range is between RM400-700 to open and change to new cooling coil. Any advice?
The misty smoke should be air con refrigerant leaking, however air con cooling coil don't rust as in iron type of rust as it is made of aluminum.
Why not get a second opinion/quotation from another shop, to see if the price is about there?

fza

Sep 12, 2017
Any idea how much it takes to change the cooling coil?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sorry, no idea as different cars uses different unit and got a few brands. That is why I ask you to get second opinion to see any price difference from the first....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
cooling coil wont get damaged easily.leak could come from the connection.
strongly suggest u get a 2nd opinion.
where r u from?
if frm melaka then u can go to semabok.the shop name is wong aircond.donth go and ask for a cooling coil change but let him check first.

fza

Sep 12, 2017
I'm in Shah Alam. Will definitely get a second opinion.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm in Shah Alam. Will definitely get a second opinion.
How old is the car? If not too old, like bro. gunnerzz mentioned may not be cooling coil leak. But then you did mention mist coming out, that also can be sign of major leak. If confirm from cooling coil, best to take out and inspect first....:driver:

fza

Sep 12, 2017
cooling coil wont get damaged easily.leak could come from the connection.
strongly suggest u get a 2nd opinion.
where r u from?
if frm melaka then u can go to semabok.the shop name is wong aircond.donth go and ask for a cooling coil change but let him check first.
How old is the car? If not too old, like bro. gunnerzz mentioned may not be cooling coil leak. But then you did mention mist coming out, that also can be sign of major leak. If confirm from cooling coil, best to take out and inspect first....:driver:
Would that amount up to RM700?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
suddenly im scared...... my ac also kaput, have not sent in for any sort of diagnostics yet haha, all i know is it hisses at me and isnt cold

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Possible, depending on brand also. I suggest you search in mudah for aircon cooling coil for your car to gauge the cost. Then as bro VR2 suggest you go and ask around a few aircon shops around your area to diagnose and estimate.

suddenly im scared...... my ac also kaput, have not sent in for any sort of diagnostics yet haha, all i know is it hisses at me and isnt cold
Usually leaking somewhere or compressor spoiled. Does it make a humming/growling noise from the compressor?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Possible, depending on brand also. I suggest you search in mudah for aircon cooling coil for your car to gauge the cost. Then as bro VR2 suggest you go and ask around a few aircon shops around your area to diagnose and estimate.

Usually leaking somewhere or compressor spoiled. Does it make a humming/growling noise from the compressor?
hoho when i got the car 2 years ago, i installed a new compressor dah, didnt use the ac for like 1 and a half years, then tried it... crap not cold.... rageeee!!!!!!

totally frank, cant hear anything by the compressor, engine is just too noisy

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hoho when i got the car 2 years ago, i installed a new compressor dah, didnt use the ac for like 1 and a half years, then tried it... crap not cold.... rageeee!!!!!!

Then maybe leaking from cooling coil or evaporator.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

compressor also run base on gas pressure. If not mistaken.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Like bro. 6UE5t mentioned is possible if have change whole cooling coil, workmanship and vacuum and refill the refrigerant...

Start the car, open the bonnet, look where the compressor is, then get someone to switch the air con on. If the air con compressor is working, the magnetic clutch will activate so you will get a clak sound. If no sound mean not working dy.....:driver:

compressor also run base on gas pressure. If not mistaken.
Yes, newer air con system have a sensor usually as the receiver drier (the black canister). If the gas have leaked out and not enough pressure, the compressor will not activate. This is to save the compressor from running and overheat....:driver:

Last edited:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Like bro. 6UE5t mentioned is possible if have change whole cooling coil, workmanship and vacuum and refill the refrigerant...

Start the car, open the bonnet, look where the compressor is, then get someone to switch the air con on. If the air con compressor is working, the magnetic clutch will activate so you will get a clak sound. If no sound mean not working dy.....:driver:

Yes, newer air con system have a sensor usually as the receiver drier (the black canister). If the gas have leaked out and not enough pressure, the compressor will not activate. This is to save the compressor from running and overheat....:driver:

compressor clutch working, that much im sure, can feel the extra load, and quite sure it builds (some, not sure if enough) pressure cause hisses more loud the higher i rev

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Use Satria GTi complete bodypart on Satria standard.

Bumper + Arch + Spoiler + Back bumper.

Legal wise. can or not?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience