Goodyear Wrangle Triplemax for Forester

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I thought your Chery is manual too. Forester's CVT also works like auto what. The XT turbo on international market had a lower output than what the Japanese get. I think the Japanese XT turbo gives out 296hp on that FA20 engine.

Continental's own factory or sime tyre factory?

You must have bought the Sonata really long ago. I don't think I have seen those anywhere other than that one lucky time which I encountered your car at PJ. :biggrin:
Chery Tiggo 1.6L is manual, mine is 2.0L model which is AT.

Dunlop Malaysia Industries Bhd was sold to Sime then they called it DMIB Bhd, then Continental joint venture with Sime, then called Continental Sime tyres, then later Continental bought over and now is Continental Tyres Malaysia.....

Sonata III was bought second hand but also long time ago. That model was nicknamed the Jaguar because resemble one Jaguar model.....lol:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Chery Tiggo 1.6L is manual, mine is 2.0L model which is AT.

Dunlop Malaysia Industries Bhd was sold to Sime then they called it DMIB Bhd, then Continental joint venture with Sime, then called Continental Sime tyres, then later Continental bought over and now is Continental Tyres Malaysia.....

Sonata III was bought second hand but also long time ago. That model was nicknamed the Jaguar because resemble one Jaguar model.....lol:biggrin:
Thank you for the explanation. :biggrin:
I think from what I know, Viking tyres are locally made under Continental Tyres Malaysia as well?

Indeed from far, it does look like one older Jaguar model but smaller.

Now your current Wrangle Triplemax is locally made or imported?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thank you for the explanation. :biggrin:
I think from what I know, Viking tyres are locally made under Continental Tyres Malaysia as well?

Indeed from far, it does look like one older Jaguar model but smaller.

Now your current Wrangler Triplemax is locally made or imported?
Viking tyres under Continental arm so they are manufactured locally now in Conti factory

Goodyear have factories in a few Asean countries, My set made in Thailand

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Viking tyres under Continental arm so they are manufactured locally now in Conti factory

Goodyear have factories in a few Asean countries, My set made in Thailand
Now I notice there are a few companies who manufacture several different brands of tyres. Like Michellin and BF Goodrich over here.

Your tyre is considered as what category? I think offroad tyres got different kind of category isn't it? Not like the usual UHP, Max, Extreme..

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Now I notice there are a few companies who manufacture several different brands of tyres. Like Michellin and BF Goodrich over here.

Your tyre is considered as what category? I think offroad tyres got different kind of category isn't it? Not like the usual UHP, Max, Extreme..
That is because BF Goodrich tyres are owned by Michelin or like Barum and Viking own by Conti, or Firestone by Bridgestone and Nitto and Silverstone by Toyo. The confusing one is Dunlop. Brand is owned by Conti in Malaysia, SG and Brunei, owned by Sumitomo in Japan, Latin America, Asia and Africa and owned by Goodyear in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.....lol

Like Passenger car tyres having Eco, Entry, HP, UHP, Max, Extreme, Semi and Full slicks, off road used to be M/T(Mud), A/T(All) and H/T(Highway) but these tyres very noisy so they came out with SUV tyres for tarmac. The few I know is Yokohama Geolandar SUV, Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV and Michelin Latitude Tour.
The one I am using seems to be an improved version of the older Wrangler HP. To me is like a cross between the Quieter Efficientgrip SUV tyres and tougher older Wrangler to get the best of both worlds....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
That is because BF Goodrich tyres are owned by Michelin or like Barum and Viking own by Conti, or Firestone by Bridgestone and Nitto and Silverstone by Toyo. The confusing one is Dunlop. Brand is owned by Conti in Malaysia, SG and Brunei, owned by Sumitomo in Japan, Latin America, Asia and Africa and owned by Goodyear in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.....lol

Like Passenger car tyres having Eco, Entry, HP, UHP, Max, Extreme, Semi and Full slicks, off road used to be M/T(Mud), A/T(All) and H/T(Highway) but these tyres very noisy so they came out with SUV tyres for tarmac. The few I know is Yokohama Geolandar SUV, Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV and Michelin Latitude Tour.
The one I am using seems to be an improved version of the older Wrangler HP. To me is like a cross between the Quieter Efficientgrip SUV tyres and tougher older Wrangler to get the best of both worlds....lol
So weird for Dunlop. Then which one is the main HQ company? The American one?

Those A/T tyres are like those with jagged and rugged thread pattern? Usually those with white lettering on sidewall?

I guess your Wrangle Triplemax is actually designed more for road use than offroad.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So weird for Dunlop. Then which one is the main HQ company? The American one?

Those A/T tyres are like those with jagged and rugged thread pattern? Usually those with white lettering on sidewall?

I guess your Wrangle Triplemax is actually designed more for road use than offroad.
Not Dunlop HQ, Dunlop as in the brand, each own them in their respective countries.

A/T is in between M/T and H/T, M/T pattern more rugged....

Yup, Wrangler Triplex more for tarmac but can be used off road, as rated M+S also and have 2ply sidewall

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not Dunlop HQ, Dunlop as in the brand, each own them in their respective countries.

A/T is in between M/T and H/T, M/T pattern more rugged....

Yup, Wrangler Triplex more for tarmac but can be used off road, as rated M+S also and have 2ply sidewall
Then the main company of Dunlop? I mean, there must be a main office to manage all the activities and probably R&D isn't it? Since they are owned by so many other companies here and there, who is actually taking the helm at Dunlop?

I think A/T is those found in stock pickup truck tyres like Hilux? Bridgestone Dueler?

More for tarmac but can be used off road. But somehow, it performs better than the Continental which is suppose to be a full time tarmac tyre isn't it?

Er, what does ply actually do? For harder sidewall?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Then the main company of Dunlop? I mean, there must be a main office to manage all the activities and probably R&D isn't it? Since they are owned by so many other companies here and there, who is actually taking the helm at Dunlop?

I think A/T is those found in stock pickup truck tyres like Hilux? Bridgestone Dueler?

More for tarmac but can be used off road. But somehow, it performs better than the Continental which is suppose to be a full time tarmac tyre isn't it?

Er, what does ply actually do? For harder sidewall?
No more Dunlop office, the brand sold and belongs to the other tyre company

M/T have big block pattern with plenty empty space or sort of chunky studs.
A/T have finer blocks and less empty space
H/T are even finer and some have passenger car pattern

It all depends what you looking at in the performance. For my SUV I love the firmer ride especially higher speed and in corners. These Goodyear are V rated tyres, the Conti are H rated

More ply rating means the sidewall are stronger. The plies are the carcass of the tyre, make mostly are either polyester of nylon. 1 ply softer sidewall will have better comfort, but depends also, some performance tyres even though 1 ply have quite stiff sidewall but these are usually the ultra low profile tyres

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No more Dunlop office, the brand sold and belongs to the other tyre company

M/T have big block pattern with plenty empty space or sort of chunky studs.
A/T have finer blocks and less empty space
H/T are even finer and some have passenger car pattern

It all depends what you looking at in the performance. For my SUV I love the firmer ride especially higher speed and in corners. These Goodyear are V rated tyres, the Conti are H rated

More ply rating means the sidewall are stronger. The plies are the carcass of the tyre, make mostly are either polyester of nylon. 1 ply softer sidewall will have better comfort, but depends also, some performance tyres even though 1 ply have quite stiff sidewall but these are usually the ultra low profile tyres
If so, then which company is in charge of Dunlop's new tyre design and things like R&D?

Looks like M/T is made for serious offroading. How does M/T tyres fare in normal roads like during wet conditions? Do they grip well?

Are these plies those silver coloured thread-like things that can be found beneath the rubber? I've seen those silver coloured things in worn out tyres or torn tyres.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If so, then which company is in charge of Dunlop's new tyre design and things like R&D?

Looks like M/T is made for serious offroading. How does M/T tyres fare in normal roads like during wet conditions? Do they grip well?

Are these plies those silver coloured thread-like things that can be found beneath the rubber? I've seen those silver coloured things in worn out tyres or torn tyres.
Not sure, probably the new owners themselves.

That is why tyres have category. M/T are block patterned to dig into mud, so on tarmac have less contact surface. Rubber compound also harder.

The sidewall ply will go from left to right, from bead area to the other side. The silver thing you see on thread area is the steel belt. Steel belt usually 2 plies and these are to hold the thread pattern flat so max contact on road surface. There will be another ply layer covering the steel belt, This is to hold them in between the carcass ply. If steel belt alone it does not stick well to rubber and might separate out

The light brown are carcass belt from left to right, and these are the sidewall plies
Blue and silver are the steel belts
The dark brown are the cover belt or plies

With visuals you should understand better....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not sure, probably the new owners themselves.

That is why tyres have category. M/T are block patterned to dig into mud, so on tarmac have less contact surface. Rubber compound also harder.

The sidewall ply will go from left to right, from bead area to the other side. The silver thing you see on thread area is the steel belt. Steel belt usually 2 plies and these are to hold the thread pattern flat so max contact on road surface. There will be another ply layer covering the steel belt, This is to hold them in between the carcass ply. If steel belt alone it does not stick well to rubber and might separate out

The light brown are carcass belt from left to right, and these are the sidewall plies
Blue and silver are the steel belts
The dark brown are the cover belt or plies

With visuals you should understand better....:driver:
Therefore, it is not a good idea to corner fast in M/T tyres I think.

Thank you for the explanation. From the pic, sidewall plies are the innermost layer isn't it? That is why you called it the carcass because it is like the skeleton of the tyre? The overall frame of the tyre itself.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Therefore, it is not a good idea to corner fast in M/T tyres I thinj.

Thank you for the explanation. From the pic, sidewall plies are the innermost layer isn't it? That is why you called it the carcass because it is like the skeleton of the tyre? The overall frame of the tyre itself.
Who ask you use M/T tyres race on tarmac.....hahhahhahah

Yup, carcass is the base, as the picture also mention body plies, these holds the whole tyre in place

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Who ask you use M/T tyres race on tarmac.....hahhahhahah

Yup, carcass is the base, as the picture also mention body plies, these holds the whole tyre in place
Well, sometimes I saw those heavily modified pickup trucks or old offroad cars like Pajero, Land Cruiser with very large rugged tyres and raised up suspension. I thought, will it be good to drive these cars? And I also wondered can they really be stable in high speed travelling.

But the plies are not visible outside isn't it? Even when I see the inner part of the tyres on those that is not mounted to rims?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, sometimes I saw those heavily modified pickup trucks or old offroad cars like Pajero, Land Cruiser with very large rugged tyres and raised up suspension. I thought, will it be good to drive these cars? And I also wondered can they really be stable in high speed travelling.

But the plies are not visible outside isn't it? Even when I see the inner part of the tyres on those that is not mounted to rims?
The plies is covered by rubber. If can see the plies need to discard already.....:smokin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I'm new here. Do you all miss your car when it is at the workshop? :) Mine is at the shop with gearbox problem. Maybe 1 week to repair. I already miss my car.

Our cars are like our legs, without my car, I feel like lost. I am renting a car now, but still miss my beloved car!

Anyone like me? Just wondering. :rofl::biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience