Toyota recalls GT-86 coupe, Malaysia affected

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

Toyota Australia has recalled over 15,000 units of the GT-86 coupe over possible power steering problems, CompleteCar reports.

The units affected are those built between April 2012 and March 2015, and so far, the issue seems to arise on right-hand-drive units fitted with driver's knee airbag.

The statement from CompleteCar:

"The GT86 uses electrically-boosted power steering, and the problem seems to affect only right-hand-drive cars fitted with a drivers' knee airbag. Apparently, the wiring for the power steering is chaffing on the cover for the airbag and potentially shorting out the system."

According to Toyota, if the problem (the power steering wiring shorting on driver's knee airbag system) occurs, there could be an electrical contact which may results in the loss of power steering assist.

Meanwhile, UMW Toyota Motor has acknowledged the fact that GT86 units sold at official Toyota dealers in Malaysia are also entitled to the recall service and will contact owners directly for further arrangements.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
All because of P1.....all suffer on cars. I did own one once and that was it......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

ermm im currently riding on a b16a.....it seems to be not enough for me due to performance wise but there is limited $$$....(sigh) maybe around 1k to 2k.....what should i do best wit my car ? change block ??racing clutch ? racing cam ??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience