Launched: 2016 VW Vento - 3 Variants RM79,888 onwards

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Yes people, the new VW Vento is now here in Malaysia. With a new motto that reads, "The sedan that does not compromise" The New Vento Highline is said to be the only turbocharged entry in its class so that's pretty interesting, this could just give the compact sedan an extra edge over fierce competition from Asian competitors. Read as our journalist Azmi Hasan brings you the freshest right from the launch this morning.

Locally-assembled by Volkswagen's partner, DRB-Hicom, the 2016 Vento is a true testament of VW's World class German engineering and is made for drivers who value performance without sacrificing practicality and safety.

The name Vento translates to 'wind' in Italian or Portuguese and is available in three variants:

• The Trendline
  • The Comfortline
  • The Highline

According to Managing Director of Volkswagen Group Malaysia, Mr Armin Keller, "The Vento is a sedan that has it all. Performance, safety, design and innovation. We are pleased to introduce the Volkswagen Vento to the local market. The Vento plays a vital role in our strategy to make cars more accessible and affordable to Malaysians. And with the introduction of the Multiline, we believe there is a Vento to suit everybody's needs."

The Vento Trendline and Comfortline

The Trendline and Comfortline comes with a 1.6 litre engine paired to a 6-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic. Its engine churns out 103.5 hp with a maximum torque of 153Nm with the fuel consumption of 6.5L per 100km.

The Trendline, being VW's entry-level Vento is effectively the budget friendly continental car to purchase. The Comfortline on the other hand is more of a well-compromised variant for consumers who are looking for balance between technology, safety and value.

The Vento Highline

The top-of-the-line Highline is equipped with the award-winning Turbocharged 1.2 litre direct-injection TSI engine with an output of 103.5 hp. Power is transferred to the wheels via familliar 7-speed DSG transmission.

With torque rated at a whopping 175Nm, the Vento Highline currently offer the highest engine torque in its class, which simply translates to excellent driveability and effortless acceleration. Despite the superior performance, fuel consumption remains at a remarkable 5.5L per 100km.

Safety wise, the Vento Highline scores 5-star rating by ASEAN NCAP for its range of safety features.

Exterior

The new Vento comes with a redesigned front grille, with chrome and "character lines" that gives the car a mature, tough stance.

The smoked headlamps and tail-lamps are also new, with manual height adjustable headlamps to ensure optimal visibility.

The Comfortline and Highline also comes with integrated front fog lights with a chrome bar that goes along the lower part of the bumper, hinting a wider look.

Specifically to the Highline variant is the 16" Syenit alloy wheels, while the other two variants feature 15" wheels.

Interior

The Vento comes with a new silver finish on its dashboard hinting a premium feel. There's also the new flat-bottomed steering wheel across all variants, adding a sense of sportiness

The Vento is also equipped with a cooled glove box, 'Cable' fabric seat upholstery and a large multi-function display screen.

Safety

Constructed via laser welding which is a standard for all Volkswagens, the Vento embodies Volkswagen's commitment to building safer and stronger cars.

Other than the Highline's 5-star rating on ASEAN NCAP, all three variants of the Vento come with safety features such as anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic stability control (ESC), four airbags, Intelligent Crash Response System (ICRS), anti-pinch power windows and ISOFIX anchorage point for child seats, making the Vento a safer car for the entire family.

Vento or Polo? New Name, Same Principle

The Vento will replace current outgoing Polo Sedans while the Polo name will remain as it is for the hatchback form.

Mr Armin said, "The Vento name has already been used for years in countries like Russia and India. The weather conditions in those countries may be tough but the Vento remains reliable and well-accepted by the consumers there. We are hoping to replicate the same results in Malaysia, with the Vento being made by Malaysians, for Malaysians with an injection of German engineering"

Notorious DSG 7

"We admit that there are some issues in the past regarding the 7 Speed DSG dual-clutch transmission, but as for the new Vento, we have revised its transmission by replacing key components to ensure that the gearbox would perform the way it is supposed to", Mr Armin added.

Price

The new Vento is priced at:

• RM79,888 for the 1.6 Trendline
  • RM86,888 for the 1.6 Comfortline
  • RM93,888 for the 1.2 Turbo Highline
  • early buyers are also subjected to RM2,000 rebate.
Colours

The Vento is available in five colours:

• Candy White
  • Flash Red
  • Reflex Silver
  • Carbon Steel Grey
  • Deep Black
Warranty

The Vento also comes with a 5-year warranty with unlimited mileage and 5-year mobility guarantee. Bookings and test drive arrangements can be made at all authorized Volkswagen dealerships nationwide.

More about the Vento, Bookings and Test Drives, check these official links:

Photos and Words By: Azmi Hasan

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
tom the 1.2 TSI and 1.6 gives the same 103.5hp?
Incidentally yes although torque figures woild differ, here's the official release from VW Malaysia:

The locally-assembled Vento is available in three variants; the Trendline, Comfortline and Highline.

The Vento Highline is powered with the award-winning 1.2l turbocharged direct injection TSI engine with an output of 105PS. Paired with the 7-speed automatic transmission DSG with a maximum torque of 175Nm, the Vento is the sedan with the highest torque in its class. With superior drivability and performance, fuel consumption is remarkable at 5.5l per 100km. The Vento Highline is also rated 5-star by ASEAN NCAP for its range of safety features including Electronic Stability Control (ESC).

The 1.6l Comfortline and Trendline comes with a 6-speed automatic transmission gearbox with Tiptronic function with an output of 105PS, maximum torque of 153Nm and fuel consumption of 6.5l per 100km.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The 1.2 will be the better drive despite having the same horsepower output with the 1.6 due to the power curve. Frankly too many average joe look at peak power and not the curve -- which matters most for a street driven car.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
That torque for small light car really powerful woh!
in fact in real life, it is pretty lively and packs a punch.
I've driven the Beetle 1.2TSI and find it impressive. Had I not asked, i'd thought it was the 1.4 twin charged engine.

The 1.2TSI Vento is definitely the one to get

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I'm not convinced on the DSG 7 gearbox. Let's give it some time and see what owner's say.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So this is somewhat a Polo sedan with a upgraded engine and GB?

Tom did you get to ask your questions?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
So this is somewhat a Polo sedan with a upgraded engine and GB?

Tom did you get to ask your questions?
Yes, but via a proxy as I was at the Merc C-Coupe launch at the same time, it's been mentioned in the post and yes, pretty brief but here goes:

Vento or Polo? New Name, Same Principle

The Vento will replace current outgoing Polo Sedans while the Polo name will remain as it is for the hatchback form.

Mr Armin said, "The Vento name has already been used for years in countries like Russia and India. The weather conditions in those countries may be tough but the Vento remains reliable and well-accepted by the consumers there. We are hoping to replicate the same results in Malaysia, with the Vento being made by Malaysians, for Malaysians with an injection of German engineering"

Notorious DSG 7

"We admit that there are some issues in the past regarding the 7 Speed DSG dual-clutch transmission, but as for the new Vento, we have revised its transmission by replacing key components to ensure that the gearbox would perform the way it is supposed to", Mr Armin added.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all sifu. im damn damn confuse of changing my 4G15P engine into bigger n power engine. 1st of all i like 4G63T but JPJ never allow to put that into wira 1.5. so i decide to put GSR 1.8 but some frend said GSR not enough power. im damn confuse.

although i got lubang in JPJ to put 4G63T engine, but my chassis will not bear the monster power. wat should i do to make my chassis stronger n tougher. wat is spot welding, chassis reinforced n etc. How much does it cost actually?? wher...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience