Don't use UTQG reading 100%

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Many times I have said to follow UTQG rating but not 100% since many say some tyres high treadwear rating but fast wear off, some AA traction but traction not really there but of course there are other factors like road, car, weather etc..

Just read Tyre Press on EU tyre label and it seems some tyres do not perform to it's label.
Read more here......http://www.tyrepress.com/2015/03/tyre-test-results-mock-european-label-ratings/

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Many times I have said to follow UTQG rating but not 100% since many say some tyres high treadwear rating but fast wear off, some AA traction but traction not really there but of course there are other factors like road, car, weather etc..

Just read Tyre Press on EU tyre label and it seems some tyres do not perform to it's label.
Read more here......http://www.tyrepress.com/2015/03/tyre-test-results-mock-european-label-ratings/
True, many mid range tires have UTQG on par with UHP tires, for example Toyo C1S or Conti Premium Contact series. Then there are UHP tires with lower traction rating such as RE003 but traction is only for wet traction rating.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
UTQG can only be used to compared tires by the same manufacturer. Because each manufacturer have their own "ratings", which makes cross comparison moot.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I heard that the UTQG rating is tested on smooth surface, not surface like tarmac is that true? :hmmmm:
Controlled environment. Once outside, car differ, weight differ, camber, alignment, road condition, route, weather and so on......

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

True, many mid range tires have UTQG on par with UHP tires, for example Toyo C1S or Conti Premium Contact series. Then there are UHP tires with lower traction rating such as RE003 but traction is only for wet traction rating.
Certain tyres purposely built for dry so traction rating is A.

Got from tirerack:-
Traction Grades
UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance.

The Traction Grade is determined by installing properly inflated test tires on the instrumented axle of a "skid trailer." The skid trailer is pulled behind a truck at a constant 40 mph over wet asphalt and wet concrete test surfaces. Its brakes are momentarily locked and the axle sensors measure the tire's coefficient of friction (braking g forces) as it slides. Since this test evaluates a sliding tire at a constant 40 mph, it places more emphasis on the tire's tread compound and less emphasis on its tread design.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

I follow reviews because already lab rat tested :biggrin:
Real world test and feedback is always the best....:biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I see..the UTQG it's for reference only

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
As bro. ixeo mentioned, it may differ between manufacturers but actually there is a standard but whether they follow is another matter.

Standard are as follows:
In 1997, the UTQG Traction Grades were revised to provide a new category of AA for the highest performing tires in addition to the earlier A, B and C grades. Previously the A grade had been the highest available and was awarded to tires that offered wet coefficients of traction above 0.47 g on asphalt and 0.35 g on concrete. Today the grades and their traction coefficients are as follows:
Traction Asphalt Concrete
Grades g-Force g-Force
AA Above 0.54 0.38
A Above 0.47 0.35
B Above 0.38 0.26
C Less Than 0.38 0.26

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Real world test is not really best, more like personal test using personal test on regular running road is the best. I loved the Federal RSR. But everyone I know says it's noisy, there are others better than it, etc etc. I say screw you, Federal RSR is king. :thefinger: And I hate soft sidewall tyres now.

So ultimately it's all personal choice. That's what I think la.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
As bro. ixeo mentioned, it may differ between manufacturers but actually there is a standard but whether they follow is another matter.

Standard are as follows:
In 1997, the UTQG Traction Grades were revised to provide a new category of AA for the highest performing tires in addition to the earlier A, B and C grades. Previously the A grade had been the highest available and was awarded to tires that offered wet coefficients of traction above 0.47 g on asphalt and 0.35 g on concrete. Today the grades and their traction coefficients are as follows:
Grades g-Force g-Force
AA Above 0.54 0.38
A Above 0.47 0.35
B Above 0.38 0.26
C Less Than 0.38 0.26
It can happen whereby a tire can already exceed the concrete rating (say 0.4) and yet to reach the asphalt rating by a hair (say 0.53) but then they just rate it as the higher rating AA.

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya

Standard are as follows:
Grades g-Force g-Force
AA Above 0.54 0.38
A Above 0.47 0.35
B Above 0.38 0.26
C Less Than 0.38 0.26
Thanks for enlightened me hehe

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Real world test is not really best, more like personal test using personal test on regular running road is the best. I loved the Federal RSR. But everyone I know says it's noisy, there are others better than it, etc etc. I say screw you, Federal RSR is king. :thefinger: And I hate soft sidewall tyres now.

Yes, of course in the end it's all personal preference but to me, if a tire consistently performs better or at the higher end in many reputable tests, I do take that into consideration. Coz that means that tire must be pretty good to get praises by many professional testers which are surely better equipped and skillful at assessing tires to the limit than ordinary drivers like me.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang

Have you tried the RSRR yet? :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It can happen whereby a tire can already exceed the concrete rating (say 0.4) and yet to reach the asphalt rating by a hair (say 0.53) but then they just rate it as the higher rating AA.
If off by 0.01 then the feedback won't be too far off, but for some the wet handling & traction is a big gap....lol:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can anybody list down the body mastery art in kl and pj area?

those that can do art work like hand metal bending?
conversion of A to Z body form?

hope can list down so can hunt for good source
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience