Myvi Gab SS Series vs BC Racing V1

brandylau

Jan 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Hi SifuSifu,
I wanted to change to adjustable as I've been using sport springs and now I want to take it to the next level. But I'm not sure which coilovers to go for. As I've been told BC Racing have better quality and built compared to Gab SS.
Even though with the better build and quality. People still recommend the GAB SS cause the after sales service is much easier and faster compared to BC Racing.

And I also want to know which coilovers is better in terms of performance, ride comfort and handling between this two.
Much help is appreciated ☺

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
bc racing. Quality is better so you don't have to worry about after sales service in the first place. But product is just half the story, the other half is a good installer.

norick

Known Member
Mar 28, 2006
Both will do, mk sure its SS series compare to BC V1, not others GAB..

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
As a former owner of GAB SS, recommend you get F-Tuned suspension instead.

brandylau

Jan 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
bc racing. Quality is better so you don't have to worry about after sales service in the first place. But product is just half the story, the other half is a good installer.
Oh okay, I'll take that in mine :) thanks Izso. Btw what spring rate do you recommend for daily drive and also sometimes touge runs. But mainly daily drive :)

Both will do, mk sure its SS series compare to BC V1, not others GAB..
Ya it's the SS Series :) definitely not the other models cause the SS series is the only one which is imported.

As a former owner of GAB SS, recommend you get F-Tuned suspension instead.
Hmm, ftuned is out of my budget. If I have the $$$ I'll definitely go for ftuned but ya no budget. That's why I'm only comparing GAB SS and BC Racing V1 :)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually brandylau - why are you limiting yourself to these 2 brands only? If your budget is 2-3k+ for coilovers, you actually have a few more choices. Personally I'd suggest you consider this :

1. PRS. These guys make custom adjustable shocks and for a Jazz, the cost is 2.4k. For your Myvi I expect it to be less a little. The boss there Sim is very friendly and quite knowledgeable and will recommend based on your requirements.

2. FTuned - these guys are a bit more premium but they are one of the best in the Malaysian market right now. The guys are ex-R3 engineers so they know their stuff too.

3. BC Racing, AR Racing, GAB are all local. Doesn't matter what model, they are all local. The only imported model is the very 1st generation GAB SS, after that all local. Don't be fooled by the marketing. I personally used AR Racing and BC Racing, both are pretty much the same and are quite durable.

If you're asking about springs, go for the lowest or standard spring weight that comes with the car (need to ask around, not sure about Myvi). Don't bother going for the middle or hardest ones, you'll regret very quickly. The thing about these coilovers is you're probably gonna drive in the city 90% of the time and touge 10% of the time. And adjustable suspension means you can stiffen it with a knob anyway. So no point getting overly hard springs.

Right now I'm using PRS re-oiled custom original absorbers with stock springs. For my Nissan it feels and performs like the Impul equivalent suspension. And considering the price I paid, it's almost the same price as buying original Kayabas to replace my suspension. Also my custom set now is serviceable. Honestly go for PRS or Ftuned. You won't regret.

But BCRacing / GAB will have resale value la. So it's a tradeoff here and there.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
3. BC Racing, AR Racing, GAB are all local. Doesn't matter what model, they are all local. The only imported model is the very 1st generation GAB SS, after that all local. Don't be fooled by the marketing. I personally used AR Racing and BC Racing, both are pretty much the same and are quite durable.
Isnt BC Racing Taiwanes?? :hmmmm::hmmmm:

brandylau

Jan 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Actually brandylau - why are you limiting yourself to these 2 brands only? If your budget is 2-3k+ for coilovers, you actually have a few more choices. Personally I'd suggest you consider this :

1. PRS. These guys make custom adjustable shocks and for a Jazz, the cost is 2.4k. For your Myvi I expect it to be less a little. The boss there Sim is very friendly and quite knowledgeable and will recommend based on your requirements.

2. FTuned - these guys are a bit more premium but they are one of the best in the Malaysian market right now. The guys are ex-R3 engineers so they know their stuff too.

If you're asking about springs, go for the lowest or standard spring weight that comes with the car (need to ask around, not sure about Myvi). Don't bother going for the middle or hardest ones, you'll regret very quickly. The thing about these coilovers is you're probably gonna drive in the city 90% of the time and touge 10% of the time. And adjustable suspension means you can stiffen it with a knob anyway. So no point getting overly hard springs.

Right now I'm using PRS re-oiled custom original absorbers with stock springs. For my Nissan it feels and performs like the Impul equivalent suspension. And considering the price I paid, it's almost the same price as buying original Kayabas to replace my suspension. Also my custom set now is serviceable. Honestly go for PRS or Ftuned. You won't regret.

But BCRacing / GAB will have resale value la. So it's a tradeoff here and there.

Izso actually my budget is lower but a lot of people recommend me to wait abit more and get Hilo softhard instead of Hilo. That's why I my looking at GAB SS and BC Racing V1 as I find this two quite widely used by myvians. Especially GAB SS.

I've heard about the brands you recommend like PRS, Ftuned but those are really over my budget. Not too sure about PRS. GAB SS and V1 are actually over my budget already.
And I'm actually looking for one with resell value cause it's easier to demod if I want to change car. That's why I'm looking at more in demand products.
Ftuned is too expensive for me

I was thinking of 8k front and 6k rear but apparently I have to buy the 6k spring for the rear as original comes 4K
What do you think about 8k front and 4K rear? Would that be too much of a difference between the front and rear? Normally how much of a difference can I go from front and rear?

brandylau

Jan 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Do you need 8k? that is pretty hard dy......
Is it that bad? Cause I sat my friend's Myvi BC Racing V1 with 8k front and 5k rear. It's actually not that bumpy. I was wondering if I'm making the right choice for the spring rate cause I wouldn't want to get adjustable and have that nose dive body roll feel during cornering

What would you recommend for daily drive and still can take a hard corner with not that much of a body roll?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is it that bad? Cause I sat my friend's Myvi BC Racing V1 with 8k front and 5k rear. It's actually not that bumpy. I was wondering if I'm making the right choice for the spring rate cause I wouldn't want to get adjustable and have that nose dive body roll feel during cornering

What would you recommend for daily drive and still can take a hard corner with not that much of a body roll?
If you've tested the same car with that setting and you like it, go for it.

But personally I'd go look around a bit more. PRS is cheaper than BC Racing hilo/softhard and it's adjustable so I don't know why you'd want to stick to these two brands only.

Anyway, it's your money. Since you've tested the BC Racing V1, it's probably a good idea to stick with that. If not give PRS a visit and then only decide. I'd avoid the GAB SS in my opinion.

Resale value - All of these brands mentioned have resale value. Just as long as you don't go for obviously poorly branded suspension like "Mines", "D2", "CUSCO", etc. These are imitations of the real brand and if you don't believe me, look at their website and tell me if they make suspension for the Perodua Myvi / Toyota Passo.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
KYB RS PRO :biggrin:

Just get the BC Racing la bro..case close. 8k front is very hard. If you still want some comfort, opt for 6k
Btw myvi is a myvi la...to have minimal body roll is almost impossible if you don't have the $$. However it could still be fun and steady to drive with common aftermarket parts and it could be better if you could tune it to suit your driving style.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Please take note that the BC V1 8K(F) and 5K(R) which you tried and still find it comfy, it MAY not be the same feeling if you use the same spring rate in different brands, like PRS or GAB SS. Best is to go test it yourself. Do not assume that the same springs rates will give the same feeling with all the brands.

I would take Izso advise and check out PRS if i were you.....I mean....More info and research wont hurt mah.....