Why the Evo X with Manual tranny does not available in Malaysia?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Buy Subaru the best. Got manual hehehe!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wow.. just wow. :biggrin:

The earlier Evos have a timeless design. Put a Evo 7 side by side with any modern 4 door pocket rocket I'm quite sure the Evo will out-technology, out-run, out-fun, out-chun, out-everything the more modern car.

And what's worse is if you drive a Evo X, people will first think : "is that a bodykitted Inspira?"

But ultimately it's personal opinion like you said. So cheers man.
I like the part of body kit Inspira as when I see a police car I always trying to see whether is the Evo X or the Inspira......hhahahhahahhaha:biggrin:

MFF

Dec 23, 2014
PJ

The earlier Evos have a timeless design. Put a Evo 7 side by side with any modern 4 door pocket rocket I'm quite sure the Evo will out-technology, out-run, out-fun, out-chun, out-everything the more modern car.

And what's worse is if you drive a Evo X, people will first think : "is that a bodykitted Inspira?"

That Inspira part haha yeah, i know but yeah, everytime i saw genuine evo x on the road, i'd be like "is that really an evo or a custom made wide ass and fenders?" ok, jk hehe.

but still, if i own one evo, don't really mind people call it inspira or what, still remember when i saw the FQ-400 model, i was totally amazed wit its body and performance, can almost put GTR to shame on track in Fifth Gear show. but too bad, you can never get it here in Malaysia.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

so conclusion now is, safe to say that it is almost impossible to own a Evo X with Manual tranny here in Malaysia, heads up to Subaru then for bringing in the new 2015 STi with Manual tranny. :driver:

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
That Inspira part haha yeah, i know but yeah, everytime i saw genuine evo x on the road, i'd be like "is that really an evo or a custom made wide ass and fenders?" ok, jk hehe.

but still, if i own one evo, don't really mind people call it inspira or what, still remember when i saw the FQ-400 model, i was totally amazed wit its body and performance, can almost put GTR to shame on track in Fifth Gear show. but too bad, you can never get it here in Malaysia.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

so conclusion now is, safe to say that it is almost impossible to own a Evo X with Manual tranny here in Malaysia, heads up to Subaru then for bringing in the new 2015 STi with Manual tranny. :driver:
So you're going for WRX STI then?

MFF

Dec 23, 2014
PJ
hehehe this is tough, but have not made any decision yet, but i promise will post some pictures here once i got the ride, any ride. but i don't put too much hope on the Manual Evo, we'll just see how. too much hassle and risk...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hehehe this is tough, but have not made any decision yet, but i promise will post some pictures here once i got the ride, any ride. but i don't put too much hope on the Manual Evo, we'll just see how. too much hassle and risk...
One thing to note about the WRX STI sold by official distributor here, Motor Image is that they are not using EJ20 but EJ25 which is same as the international market version. EJ20 JDM version is only available in cars from Japan where you might need to go through grey importers or recon car dealers to get it. But the latest version is not available in recon yet I think... Version 10 GRB hatchback or GVB sedan is available though...

MFF

Dec 23, 2014
PJ
yup and this one grey importer was brave enough to bring in s206 NBR edition...and still no one brought in evo's fq-400, or at least fq-360. probably the demand aren't that high for the evo x :bawling:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
yup and this one grey importer was brave enough to bring in s206 NBR edition...and still no one brought in evo's fq-400, or at least fq-360. probably the demand aren't that high for the evo x :bawling:
More like too expensive. And then there's GST.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
S206 and other WRX STI S series like S202, S203, S204 are all available in their own Japanese market which is easier for these dealers to get the cars. FQ series from Mitsubishi are not available in Japan. They're from UK if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, in my opinion, FQ series Lancer Evolution are not much different from normal ones because I think only the engine and some minor parts are changed. S series from Subaru are different because even their brakes are changed (some comes along with 6 pot), suspension, lower arm, seats and a few more carbon fibre parts.

MFF

Dec 23, 2014
PJ
S206 and other WRX STI S series like S202, S203, S204 are all available in their own Japanese market which is easier for these dealers to get the cars. FQ series from Mitsubishi are not available in Japan. They're from UK if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, in my opinion, FQ series Lancer Evolution are not much different from normal ones because I think only the engine and some minor parts are changed. S series from Subaru are different because even their brakes are changed (some comes along with 6 pot), suspension, lower arm, seats and a few more carbon fibre parts.
well, yes, the FQ series was a reworked edition by Mitsubishi UK, for the FQ400 it comes with 400 rated horsepower engine, 6 pistons calipers, upgraded brakes, exterior kits, and lots of extra goodies.

you are right, a comparison between S series with FQ quite unfair since both was made from/for different countries. but i did saw at Mudah, there's one FQ300 (SST) sold by a used car, seems like most of this used car like purposely avoid to bring in Manual Evo, might be because they think nowadays people would prefer a Semi-Auto (w/ dual clutch, where they always compare with DSG), rather than Manual, but i believe if they brought in Manual version, it will be sold like hot cakes already. The SST is too fragile, if i'm not mistaken, can only support up to 400hp, above that, will surely kill the gearbox.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i have never drove/tested/owned an evo, but have been experience with k20a and ej20 before. made lots of research about evos, personally much prefer the evo x, over the previous gen, might say because of the latest technology that Mitsubishi offers, new dashboard, new looks, and main point is that, not gonna get malu la with mother-in-law if wanna bring her go pasar pagi. hehe. the car also looks comfortable and suitable for daily ride.

not saying the evo ix and others are bad, that 4g63 is a legendary, it was my dream car, but at one point, you might ask yourself why didn't u get a better car, something that's new and fresh when you had that chance. after all it's just my personal opinions.
Well IMHO Evo X is NOT a better car than the IX, it;s the other way around. The IX is faster, lighter, and way much better looking some more (but that's my personal taste). To me the IX is the last of the great real Evo. But yeah, if want to bring mother-in-law, the IX is not really suitable. :biggrin:

Totally agree!

Buy Subaru the best. Got manual hehehe!
No, it's not! Evo is still the best! :P
But yeah, I'd rather get a manual V9 than any version of Evo X!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
well, yes, the FQ series was a reworked edition by Mitsubishi UK, for the FQ400 it comes with 400 rated horsepower engine, 6 pistons calipers, upgraded brakes, exterior kits, and lots of extra goodies.

you are right, a comparison between S series with FQ quite unfair since both was made from/for different countries. but i did saw at Mudah, there's one FQ300 (SST) sold by a used car, seems like most of this used car like purposely avoid to bring in Manual Evo, might be because they think nowadays people would prefer a Semi-Auto (w/ dual clutch, where they always compare with DSG), rather than Manual, but i believe if they brought in Manual version, it will be sold like hot cakes already. The SST is too fragile, if i'm not mistaken, can only support up to 400hp, above that, will surely kill the gearbox.
I think the reason these dealers brought in the SST version is so that they hope the car will appeal to a larger category of buyers. Look at it this way, not everyone can operate a manual transmission properly and we're talking about performance MT cars with heavy clutch feel. Not practical if you are using very often in places like KL where traffic jams occur frequently. With semi-auto gearbox, it is almost like anyone can drive an Evo easily. Just shift to D and there you go. No clutch balancing or worries that you might stall the car halfway.

So, I think that the statement about Evo X manual will be selling like hot cakes might not be that accurate. Evo purist will definitely go for the cheaper and faster Evo IX. 4G63T in IX has a long history of reliable engine tuning options compared to the newer aluminum block 4B11T engine. Besides, IX comes with 6 speed manual compared to 5 speed manual in X. Currently, even WRX STI Version 10 suffers the same fate because many dealers are bringing in automatic versions of it.

SST is a bit of a sensitive gearbox. I heard that it needs extra cooling to prevent overheat problems. Gearbox oil/fluid for SST is not cheap either. Performance wise, SST is not superior as well because based on what I watched in Best Motoring Japan video, Evo X manual defeats Evo X SST in the Tsukuba circuit...

Well IMHO Evo X is NOT a better car than the IX, it;s the other way around. The IX is faster, lighter, and way much better looking some more (but that's my personal taste). To me the IX is the last of the great real Evo. But yeah, if want to bring mother-in-law, the IX is not really suitable. :biggrin:
On performance side, yes, IX is the better car. But if we're talking about tech and modern stuffs, then I guess X had the advantage. The thing I felt about X is, it is not leaning towards pure performance cars category as the older Evos did.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
In a way you are on point, as who wants to sell MT when MT market is real slow here now, and SST with new gear box suppose to be the in thing....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
In a way you are on point, as who wants to sell MT when MT market is real slow here now, and SST with new gear box suppose to be the in thing....:driver:
SST had the advantage because it is easy to use and it is more fun than torque converter. But the existence of these semi-manual gearboxes are killing the true manual boxes... I still feel that drivers will have more freedom and control in manual gearbox. There is this sense of excitement when you shift the gear knob and during the time when you engage/disengages the clutch. Flipping the paddles still doesn't sound right to me.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all bro out there. i'm using perdana with rvr engine. can u all tell me the differences between this 2 engine and how to mods rvr so it can be powerfull like evo.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 12:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 04-15-2010 at 11:57 PM ----------

bumpp....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience