Effects Of Fixing The Wheel Spacers...

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, I intend to fix wheel spacers for my 1974 Volkswagen Beetle...

I believe the spacers are good for enhancing a sportier look and at the same time improves road handling...

But before doing so, I need to do a research on whether wheel spacers are advisable or otherwise...

What are the pro & cons of fixing the wheel spacers....

Can the spacers be fixed only on the rear or both front & rear ?

All sifus, fellow forumers kindly advise....

Thanks.....:wink::dontknow::questionmark::itsme:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Why do you need spacers? Depending on the width it'll put unnecessary stress on the wheel hub and studs. But the Beetle isn't a heavy car so it might work. And it'll improve handling to a certain extent. Improper or poor quality spacers might introduce vibrations at high speeds.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
More pressure on the wheel bearings too. Depending on how thick the spacer you may need to change to longer studs too.
Wheel spacer without center hub can create more vibration as mentioned by bro. Izso.

I had them fitted for the rear for my 17" rims but took them out already. Mine were 1/4" only.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Why do you need spacers? Depending on the width it'll put unnecessary stress on the wheel hub and studs. But the Beetle isn't a heavy car so it might work. And it'll improve handling to a certain extent. Improper or poor quality spacers might introduce vibrations at high speeds.
Ya thanks for the advice

Actually, I thought of fixing the spacers to make it look more "garang"

However, as you know this beetle is more of a leisure car than a sports car...

I tried to bring it to 70mph but sounded difficult....

The f**king meter shows max is 100mph....:mad:

So should there be additional vibrations, I wouldnt have noticed, bcos the beetle already vibrates like
bell once its started its engine....:love:

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

More pressure on the wheel bearings too. Depending on how thick the spacer you may need to change to longer studs too.
Wheel spacer without center hub can create more vibration as mentioned by bro. Izso.

I had them fitted for the rear for my 17" rims but took them out already. Mine were 1/4" only.
But do the spacers comes together with longer studs?

Are the studs costly?

Do you know where to get the longer studs, especiall the stainless steel nuts at the edge ones?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ya thanks for the advice

Actually, I thought of fixing the spacers to make it look more "garang"

However, as you know this beetle is more of a leisure car than a sports car...

I tried to bring it to 70mph but sounded difficult....

The f**king meter shows max is 100mph....:mad:

So should there be additional vibrations, I wouldnt have noticed, bcos the beetle already vibrates like
bell once its started its engine....:love:

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

But do the spacers comes together with longer studs?

Are the studs costly?

Do you know where to get the longer studs, especiall the stainless steel nuts at the edge ones?
Bro., 100mph is pretty fast already is not kph....:biggrin:

You only require longer studs if your spacer is thick. Not sure of VW type, but the studs should be available in spare parts shop.

As for the spacer with studs, those are adapter type spacer, for really far out extension

Like these

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys...

Today I bought a pair of aluminium spacers!

Cost me RM12 each...

Its about 0.8cm thick.:love:

Im going to use back the original sportsrims stud...

What do you guys think?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Bro., 100mph is pretty fast already is not kph....:biggrin:

You only require longer studs if your spacer is thick. Not sure of VW type, but the studs should be available in spare parts shop.

As for the spacer with studs, those are adapter type spacer, for really far out extension

Like these
Tyre shop quoted me RM24 for each stud !:burnout:

16 studs @ RM24 is RM = RM384, coming to RM400 alone...:thefinger:

Dont think its worthwhile fixing the spacers after all...:bawling:

Unless someone can refer me to buy the studs at a cheaper unit cost?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Tyre shop quoted me RM24 for each stud !:burnout:

16 studs @ RM24 is RM = RM384, coming to RM400 alone...:thefinger:

Dont think its worthwhile fixing the spacers after all...:bawling:

Unless someone can refer me to buy the studs at a cheaper unit cost?
Wah! that is expensive.....

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I have been using custom made spacer for my 206. Change the PCD to 100 as well. The material you choose need to be light weight and strong. Metal was not my choice so I opt for the aluminium alloy. Back then it cost my 600 for 4 pcs. I made them in KL at a machine shop with the help of my uncle who runs a tire shop. THe shop was well known for making wheel spacer on conti. I didn't visit the shop myself but I suspect it is at Jalan Chan Sow Lin.

The spec was 1.25inch at the back and 1 inch at the front. The day I got the spacer it, the workmanship was top notch. Not sharp edges, spacer was balanced and very well made. The studs used was of high quality (did not rust until today) It's been on my 206 for 12 years already. I've travelled countless KMs, spees up to 170 to 200, went tracking and some really hard mountain driving events. The wheel spacer still hold and the stud never break or loose thread. I've did not have wheel bearings problem. I only change the wheel bearing at the rear once because it was already used pass it's age.

What I need to give the shop was, my stock rims and the new rims that I've bought so that they can make the spacer to 100% fitment. The way I see it is that if you want a set of good wheel spacer, go and gather some information 1st and ask around the machine shops, ask them about what material they can do and machining accuracy and look around their shops and machinery they use. Like mine is fully automatically CNC from a machine. My uncle showed me a picture of the process.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Try check the stud price at spare parts shop.

Try read this blog. i dont have experience with spacer but want to share info.

tacra's diy garage: Hubcentric Spacers
Nice, those are hub centric spacers. More well balance....:driver:

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I have been using custom made spacer for my 206. Change the PCD to 100 as well. The material you choose need to be light weight and strong. Metal was not my choice so I opt for the aluminium alloy. Back then it cost my 600 for 4 pcs. I made them in KL at a machine shop with the help of my uncle who runs a tire shop. THe shop was well known for making wheel spacer on conti. I didn't visit the shop myself but I suspect it is at Jalan Chan Sow Lin.

The spec was 1.25inch at the back and 1 inch at the front. The day I got the spacer it, the workmanship was top notch. Not sharp edges, spacer was balanced and very well made. The studs used was of high quality (did not rust until today) It's been on my 206 for 12 years already. I've travelled countless KMs, spees up to 170 to 200, went tracking and some really hard mountain driving events. The wheel spacer still hold and the stud never break or loose thread. I've did not have wheel bearings problem. I only change the wheel bearing at the rear once because it was already used pass it's age.

What I need to give the shop was, my stock rims and the new rims that I've bought so that they can make the spacer to 100% fitment. The way I see it is that if you want a set of good wheel spacer, go and gather some information 1st and ask around the machine shops, ask them about what material they can do and machining accuracy and look around their shops and machinery they use. Like mine is fully automatically CNC from a machine. My uncle showed me a picture of the process.
Bro., show some pictures. How you change PCD to 100?
So now can choose many type of rims to use.....:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have been using custom made spacer for my 206. Change the PCD to 100 as well. The material you choose need to be light weight and strong. Metal was not my choice so I opt for the aluminium alloy.
Alu? No matter what type of Alu, I doubt it'll be as strong as steel. But I guess the pressure on the spacers won't be significant enough to bend or dent the alu. I've seen worn out alu crank pulleys before and it's not a pretty sight!

Bro., show some pictures. How you change PCD to 100?
So now can choose many type of rims to use.....:biggrin:
It's probably those spacers that come with the studs. Rare stuff and pretty downright awesome if done right

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
VR2, I will see if I find any in my other PC. It's something like those from H&R with stud built in. my ori PCD was 108 so change to 100 for more rim choices for the Conti.

Iszo, which type of LCP? those without the harmonic dampers?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
VR2, I will see if I find any in my other PC. It's something like those from H&R with stud built in. my ori PCD was 108 so change to 100 for more rim choices for the Conti.

Iszo, which type of LCP? those without the harmonic dampers?
Technically, I'd only seen 1 brand that has a real-deal harmonic damper, but that one is too expensive. The more famous one Mythelogy has a rubber damper on it which arguably isn't a harmonic damper - depends on how you look at it. But it uses a steel sleeve in the middle so the alu isn't affected. Other brands don't have this sleeve so the vibrations affect the alu.

I don't think you have issues with vibration on your spacers though. I'm not sure about the physics of the thing.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
I'm running on H&R 10mm front and Eibach 15mm on rear wheels that comes with stud...so far never encountered any myth that was going around with d spacer...running smooth without any vibration....got it for RM>1K and that Eibach alone cost me RM700/set...recommend pay a little more for ease of mind...:biggrin:

I read that race cars also running on spacers while racing....the question is, whether ur wheels, bearing & stud can take up the pressure applied on them...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i hav bought my car for bout 4 years....
i noticed that my headlamp is getting faded n not shining like new headlamps....
it is a bit blur.....

wat should i do 2 overcome this prob?

if buy a new pair will cost about 300......

i saw in the market, they offer sum kind of headlamp polisher,does that works?
if yes,wat brand of the polisher that really works....

suggestion pls....

thanks a lot>......:shades_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience