Just resprayed and drove in the rain!

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Two days ago, I sent my car for respraying the boot and side mudguard.

The work was a tedious job, and I personally worked on it together with my repainter fren.

But the problem is when after respraying, I drove the car in the rain, as I did not want to leave my car there...

According to the repainter, the last coat (clear coat) is dry enough to be driven in the rain..(after sprayed for more than 1 hour 30 minutes or more.

But today, I saw watermarks on the paintwork, and its rough in surface...

I called the repainter and he said its not a problem, as we are scheduled to polish it in a few days time..

Can anyone advise if the rough surface and watermark is really NOT a problem?

What are the ways we can cure it?

Advices from other repainters are also appreciated! :confused::wavey::rofl::adore::dontknow:

BeCool

Known Member

BeCool

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
or u can leave the car under the sun in daytime, let it sunbath for whole day.

Last time my car bumper used to have this problem too, kena rain after repaint. After sun bath for few days, the uneven mark gone, with little bit stain, then do some polish by machine, its gone.

fazidk

3,000 RPM

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi Lesley...it all depends on how deep is d water drop marks...in some cases after sanding (yes,u have to sand it wiz fine sand paper..usually wiz a 1500-grit) n polishing it wld n cld solve d prob (but beware if polish too much or too long then u may 'thin' d lacquer..)..but if d marks r too 'deep' then x choice but to do a respray..

Wat lacquer did ur fren use?did u spray daytime or nite?did u use a heater gun to quicken d drying process?coz if a 'quick-dry' lacquer aka 4:1 is used...wiz enuff heat then 1hr 30mins Or more (s mentioned) shld have been sufficient to dry...

Last edited:

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Depends on how rough it is. Some roughness can be solved by polishing using various compound. The best result would be 5 layers polishing. And depends on polisher skill.
Not that rough, only its not mirror smooth.....

Hope polishing can smoothen the surface like a mirror....

hehehe.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

or u can leave the car under the sun in daytime, let it sunbath for whole day.

Last time my car bumper used to have this problem too, kena rain after repaint. After sun bath for few days, the uneven mark gone, with little bit stain, then do some polish by machine, its gone.
Yes you are right!

After sun baked it today, it looks more even and less watermark stains...

Repainter asked me NOT to wash the car yet, so I just leave it as it is...:wavey:

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Hi Lesley...it all depends on how deep is d water drop marks...in some cases after sanding (yes,u have to sand it wiz fine sand paper..usually wiz a 1500-grit) n polishing it wld n cld solve d prob (but beware if polish too much or too long then u may 'thin' d lacquer..)..but if d marks r too 'deep' then x choice but to do a respray..

Wat lacquer did ur fren use?did u spray daytime or nite?did u use a heater gun to quicken d drying process?coz if a 'quick-dry' lacquer aka 4:1 is used...wiz enuff heat then 1hr 30mins Or more (s mentioned) shld have been sufficient to dry...
Do you think I can do another layer of clear coat again?

I think its not too deep, cos I tested the dryness before driving in the rain, it was not sticky to my hands at that time...

My fren used KANSAI ALESCO clear coat.

Is that a good clear coat?

He sprayed thru 3 layers of the clear coat, each every 5 minutes...

But first layer he mixed with another brand of clear coat, I didnt see what brand it was....

Second and third layer, he used Alesco.

What do you think?:confused:

fazidk

3,000 RPM

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Alesco is a good brand bro..*thumbs up*...rgrds to spraying another coat of lacquer it is possible but make sure d marks r x deep...u wil have to sand it again ( wiz 1500-grit sand paper) to smoothen it s well s making sure d marks r gone before spraying...also make sure u x 'eat' d paint when sanding...if all is done well then u x have any problems...

Veloc

3,000 RPM

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
N problem la... I also got that before. I sent my boot for a respray and I got it back that same evening. Then rain came and put marks on it. Easily polished away...

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Alesco is a good brand bro..*thumbs up*...rgrds to spraying another coat of lacquer it is possible but make sure d marks r x deep...u wil have to sand it again ( wiz 1500-grit sand paper) to smoothen it s well s making sure d marks r gone before spraying...also make sure u x 'eat' d paint when sanding...if all is done well then u x have any problems...
Thanks for the info, will send for polishing in a day or two, will keep you updated on the outcome of the polish...

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

N problem la... I also got that before. I sent my boot for a respray and I got it back that same evening. Then rain came and put marks on it. Easily polished away...
Thanks for the assurance, will see the outcome soon...

ronaldindin

Known Member

ronaldindin

Known Member
Jan 14, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.12bet.com
yea might be the coat is not dried enough. Maybe you have to re-apply the coating since this is important and needed to protect the paint

fazidk

3,000 RPM

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Actually it's x necessary to re-coat d lacquer mainly if:
- d initial coating was done sufficiently (x too thin nor too thick)
- enuff layers
- marks x too deep

However it is better if re-coating b done for dat extra peace of mind (paint protection)...

LesleyAprotto

Banned

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
yea might be the coat is not dried enough. Maybe you have to re-apply the coating since this is important and needed to protect the paint
Check the coating, found to be sufficient 3 layers sprayed

Also done polishing with rubbing compound, and later waxed...

Final result... superb mirror smooth and mirror shine finishing....

Im very satisfied!:proud:

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Actually it's x necessary to re-coat d lacquer mainly if:
- d initial coating was done sufficiently (x too thin nor too thick)
- enuff layers
- marks x too deep

However it is better if re-coating b done for dat extra peace of mind (paint protection)...
After polishing & waxing its superb now,

But certain areas where the machine cannot polish, still got signs of non shining parts,

Repainter said certain areas cannot use machine as it may tear the cloth...

Fazidk, can we use hand to polish these areas?

What type of rubbing compound to use? :confused:

fazidk

3,000 RPM

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Yes bro les it is possible (d only way in fact) to polish hard-to-reach places by hand...but be careful or u might 'tear' d paint off...use d same compound used by d painter (g3 compound I reckon) n polish accordingly...

Check the coating, found to be sufficient 3 layers sprayed

Also done polishing with rubbing compound, and later waxed...

Final result... superb mirror smooth and mirror shine finishing....

Im very satisfied!:proud:

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

After polishing & waxing its superb now,

But certain areas where the machine cannot polish, still got signs of non shining parts,

Repainter said certain areas cannot use machine as it may tear the cloth...

Fazidk, can we use hand to polish these areas?

What type of rubbing compound to use? :confused:

fazidk

3,000 RPM

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I'm x sure Wat u mean by sealant bro but usually after polishing a fresh coat of wax wld b a gd idea...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello friends :wavey:

It makes me sometimes wonder how to make dad-in-law happy.:love: I guess I’ve got the recipe to have a very happy father-in-law!:love: It seems that I’ve managed to do the trick.

Well, it’s not a visit to the HQ of Toyota Motor Inc. It's more about his ride.

He’s got a Toyota NZE (some old pics)...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience