Overhaul or change engine E46 - N46 engine

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
Hi all sifu,

I just own a UDM for 3 months and the problem keep coming and now I might need to change the aircond pump, piston ring, and gearbox also starting to feel problem coming.

If I fix all that it might cost me 10k more or less, so I wonder what if I change engine and gearbox. How much does it cost if I change 2.5cc engine I heard it give u less headache compare to N46. Or if I change to Toyota 1jz turbo engine half cut.

Any suggestion from all the sifu here....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
1jz more economical. Even better if you get the vvti one.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
1jz more economical. Even better if you get the vvti one.
He has a good point. I think that is what I would do if there are multiple and expensive issues with you engine, AC, transmission. Which will adds up quite a lot to fix. I assume 1JZ is cheaper in MY.
If you are here in US, then LS1 V8 with 6 speed will be a great swap :)

SachSeelan

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
Area25
Hi Sonny,

Saw ur post on bmwcm, wrong place to ask about 1jz, haha, all in the name of passion.. Anyway, i think it really boils down to your budget and what u want in terms of a car. Since you are already at it, might itself move to 2.5, as i believe to really enjoy the E46 driving dynamics this is the minimum requirement. Anything below 2.5 on a bimmer, i will consider it a point A to point B vehicle only. The Inline 6 M54 has been a proven all time favourite in many aspects including FC, best of all is its pulling power.

Now, if this is your second car and you are looking for some serious fun, whack the 1jz in it, its a diff league all together, still taboo to some fanatics. Stock standard will Give you the thrill you want. But i cannot promise u it will be cheaper to maintain, coz if you get addicted to the turbo snails, upgrading will neva end!

Do some research bro, even in bmwcm, there are 2 separate threads discussing extensively on E34 n E36 jz machines. Haha i fell in one of those traps ....

Good luck.

In terms of cost to transplant, you are surely paying more for the M54. Half cut plus installation and all should be near 15k. 1jz should be around $10k.

Last edited:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Hi Sonny,

Saw ur post on bmwcm, wrong place to ask about 1jz, haha, all in the name of passion.. Anyway, i think it really boils down to your budget and what u want in terms of a car. Since you are already at it, might itself move to 2.5, as i believe to really enjoy the E46 driving dynamics this is the minimum requirement. Anything below 2.5 on a bimmer, i will consider it a point A to point B vehicle only. The Inline 6 M54 has been a proven all time favourite in many aspects including FC, best of all is its pulling power.

Now, if this is your second car and you are looking for some serious fun, whack the 1jz in it, its a diff league all together, still taboo to some fanatics. Stock standard will Give you the thrill you want. But i cannot promise u it will be cheaper to maintain, coz if you get addicted to the turbo snails, upgrading will neva end!

Do some research bro, even in bmwcm, there are 2 separate threads discussing extensively on E34 n E36 jz machines. Haha i fell in one of those traps ....

Good luck.

In terms of cost to transplant, you are surely paying more for the M54. Half cut plus installation and all should be near 15k. 1jz should be around $10k.
Very good info. How much is a 1JZ complete swap cost in MY?

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
Sachseelan, ya I post it in a wrong place. Hehe!!! But now the thing concern me is the cost of repairing and maintain it.

wsonny

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Ampang
Jiun, u right also. I heard is I transplant the engine I hav to go back the workshop who did it for me. No other workshop will willing to fix if in future got any problem coz it lot of troublesome to located the wiring n which part had modified.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Not really... 1jz in contis are quite common nowadays and any workshop can fix it.. at least the experienced ones... but u lose the bavarian characteristics of it. However, the maintenance of it, I dare say is considerably lesser than that of M50s... ;)

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
e46 + 1jz or 2jz has always been a dream car of mine...
too bad no money to own it / maintain it :(

only seen 1-2 on the road so far.. which i assume shld be powered by jz unless they are using other turbocharged engine haha!

mafia1980

Known Member
Nov 24, 2005
bro ... BLaCkHoWLiNG.. you know someone who can reliably convert e46-2jzgte? with in dash meter.. I already bought halfcut for the swap

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Oil Catch Can Help needed

I have no idea whether my oil catch can is properly connected as it has 3 inlet/outlet. Please refer to the pic. Can someone correct me if this is connected wrongly and where it should be connected to? Please assume that I do not know where the PCV valve is... Thanks!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience