Used VW Golf Mk5 - is it worth buying?

yen187

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
with the recent announcement of the MK7 thats going to be launched in 2013, does anyone here think that the prices for the MK5 will drop even further?

also some rumors about VW prices going up is it true?

phas3r

Jun 27, 2007
i just sold my used mk5 gti last month..

when i got it,it had done 56k.belongs to 1 lady owner.car in very new and good condition inside out.car year 2007,i got it when may 2011 from a used car dealer.full vw service record.

the 1st week i got the car,1 of the ignition coil gone.car sounded like subaru and jerk like no tomolo.

2nd week,the check engine light came up.ignore it,since im going to service the car soon.

3rd week sent the car to vw service center ipoh to do full service include dsg oil change and ecu reset.

the following weeks and months im busy spending on the mainatainance only.dont even think bout remap or other things

bought timing belt kit,cam follower,water pump,rear brake pad to change when it touch 75k milieage.

got whistling sound from engine bay,crankcase pcv valve gone.changed,reset airbag light also.

bought new ignition coil to keep in car when got to know that the car ignition coil prone to fail.

car lost power,suspected the wastegate control valve gone.sent to service center,did a full service and check the valve.the vavle diafram gone.change new valve,car running good again.while in the service center,mechanic said he will check my coil see whether it fall into the recall campaign bacth.car done,didn manage to ask whether the car got the coil replace or not.few days later,service center call me to ask me send my car in to get the ignition coil replace for free.so i send the car in,while the car in the service bay i wait at waitiing area.mechanic hand back the key to me so i ask how much i need to pay for.who knows,coil is free and u need to pay for the workmanship.mechanic joking tell me he wont mind to receive the payment,but it was free from vw.so happily drove the car off.

week after that,god damn car jerk again.1st thing came in mind what the fucking coil the service center change,so drive slowly back home and diy change the coil.lucky i bought a spare one.to my horror,3 of the coils looks old and 1 look new.means they didn change shit,wtf with them.

engine light came on again,suspected charcoal canister system problem.change one of the valve,light still came.change the charcoal canister itself.done,engine light never came on till i sold it.

airbag light reset so many times,still came one.it was still on when i sold it

mileage touch 90k km.HORROR start,tested with my fren m3 in traffic light.launch with launch control:rofl:
after stop for lunch,heard theres noise in the drivetrain,sounds from gearbox.tow to workshop,at 1st the mech said nothing wrong with gearbox.is the dual mass flywheel problem,then replace with a used one from chop shop.noise still there then mech said is gearbox problem have to change gearbox,gearbox alone cost rm12k from halfcut.
doubt what he said since at 1st he said was from flywheel,then sent it to another so call pro shop that do lambo,ferrari and etc.the mech insisted the flywheel problem,changed 2 flywheel from chop shop still got noise.mech still insist is flywheel problem and said a new one should be ok.order one all the way from singapore,after waited for months part reached.installed,still got noice :(
this time the mech said something inside the gbox broken,so quoted a price to get it repair.agreed and proceed,still got noise.so mech said need a whole gearbox change,so chage the whole gearbox again.

car done,no more sound.but when car move from standstill it got minor jerk,sent back to the shop twice and said need to do adaptation and ecu reset.done,still jerk.since it was near to new year and i need to use car,so get the car back since mech said got 3 months warranty.

got the car back and drive for a month,cant really accept how the car jerk.sent back and ask the mech to get it done,waited whole week.got the car,problem still there.ask the mech,the mech said if i still cant accept then he will take the gbox out and refund back the gbox money to me.wtf,he should get it rite instead of suggesting like that,so ask him refund and tow it to another shop to get another dsg gearbox change.

change another dsg gearbox at another place,car felt like new.

drive for 2 months,another ignition coil burn.steering rack and driveshaft got sound..

got real fedup edi,sold it cheap cheap in as is condition to used car.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

u need to check engine oil now and then...

it gone so fast

it was the only car in the world u need to keep spare coil and engine oil at the boot:rofl:

will i get another vw in the future?yes,if i can afford.i will buy a new one and sell it after the warranty period:rofl:.used one?NEVER

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

another thing,when i sold the car.the fueling system also got problem,fuel cut when whether is hot.

this is all common problem,try to google around.u will amaze how many to read
thanks for the story. a real nightmare. i have read some of your story in the vw forum. did not know that it was not even half of it!

my 2 cents is "female driver" and "low mileage" is never a sign of good used buy. she use it rarely and only blindly service every 15K, engine oil low or not u think she will know?
id rather buy a high mileage male driver who whack his car but know every single thing about maintaining his car, knowing every issues such as cam follower, PCV, diverter valve, blah2..
see k3v la, always track, whack regularly covering 110k in 3+ yrs also not much prob, he knows everything about the car

as for me mine is since new on march 09, now with 93k, just some small issues, at 28K in 2010 oil leak replaced under warranty, 80k march 2012 got misfiring; it jerks/jump during WOT; replace for RM280 only, and then engine oil low after 9K km of service at 76K feb2012 which is perfectly normal for turbo car, and i learnt how to topup the oil afterwards.

well from the same workshop also i was told that absorbers is gone when i said i got floating issues which could be my tire problem, will be getting another tire soon today to make sure. RM2.8K for absorbers and bearing gone... u think is it realistic for the abs to die at that mileage/age?

DSG, sometimes slow during downshift and jumping after change to D, dont know which workshop can fix this one.

my maintenance for oil is every 10K before remap, after 86K june2012 remapped to revo stage 1, first mod. very superb torque..but will be servicing it a bit more frequent every 7-8K..

also will be changing DSG oil tommorow at 93k, did the first one at 53k, VW SC recommends every 60K, id rather do it more often rather than pay RM10k for gearbox, but dont know whether dsg oil frequent change can help if its mechatronic or whatever wanna die

brake pads, unchanged since new! i dun brake hard. but the car is powerful and last time always whack 180-230km/h with ease.....acceleration the stock one smoke a 325i with ease. after stage 1 remap can beat golf R slightly.

changed the timing belt+waterpump@86k, RM2.1k
remap RM3.3K

Last edited:

iatebananas

Known Member
Oct 5, 2012
Petaling Jaya
thanks for the story. a real nightmare. i have read some of your story in the vw forum. did not know that it was not even half of it!

my 2 cents is "female driver" and "low mileage" is never a sign of good used buy. she use it rarely and only blindly service every 15K, engine oil low or not u think she will know?
id rather buy a high mileage male driver who whack his car but know every single thing about maintaining his car, knowing every issues such as cam follower, PCV, diverter valve, blah2..
see k3v la, always track, whack regularly covering 110k in 3+ yrs also not much prob, he knows everything about the car

as for me mine is since new on march 09, now with 93k, just some small issues, at 28K in 2010 oil leak replaced under warranty, 80k march 2012 got misfiring; it jerks/jump during WOT; replace for RM280 only, and then engine oil low after 9K km of service at 76K feb2012 which is perfectly normal for turbo car, and i learnt how to topup the oil afterwards.

well from the same workshop also i was told that absorbers is gone when i said i got floating issues which could be my tire problem, will be getting another tire soon today to make sure. RM2.8K for absorbers and bearing gone... u think is it realistic for the abs to die at that mileage/age?

DSG, sometimes slow during downshift and jumping after change to D, dont know which workshop can fix this one.

my maintenance for oil is every 10K before remap, after 86K june2012 remapped to revo stage 1, first mod. very superb torque..but will be servicing it a bit more frequent every 7-8K..

also will be changing DSG oil tommorow at 93k, did the first one at 53k, VW SC recommends every 60K, id rather do it more often rather than pay RM10k for gearbox, but dont know whether dsg oil frequent change can help if its mechatronic or whatever wanna die

brake pads, unchanged since new! i dun brake hard. but the car is powerful and last time always whack 180-230km/h with ease.....acceleration the stock one smoke a 325i with ease. after stage 1 remap can beat golf R slightly.

changed the timing belt+waterpump@86k, RM2.1k
remap RM3.3K
DAMN! and i thought proton was bad. O.O some major shit up there. the proton bashers should read this.

lan evo

3,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
phas3r:hi bro,lucky i knew k3v.thats why can get parts easy and cheaper.thats what im asking myself always.so many gti went to track how come all still running well?like k3v car,nothing major happen.

lady driver and low mileage is not all la,but the car was stock to the bone beside tint.
DSG downshift slow is normal,thats acceptable for me.
10k-8k service? i didn top it up,i change the oil every 3-4k.thats still not good enough?:rofl:
btw bro,not all turbo car consume engine oil.my ex starlet,evo and s15 dont consume a drop of oil after hard driving and track day.

subsonique

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Flashpoint
phas3r:hi bro,lucky i knew k3v.thats why can get parts easy and cheaper.thats what im asking myself always.so many gti went to track how come all still running well?like k3v car,nothing major happen.

lady driver and low mileage is not all la,but the car was stock to the bone beside tint.
DSG downshift slow is normal,thats acceptable for me.
10k-8k service? i didn top it up,i change the oil every 3-4k.thats still not good enough?:rofl:
btw bro,not all turbo car consume engine oil.my ex starlet,evo and s15 dont consume a drop of oil after hard driving and track day.
very true bro!

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
And yet we have some bro who not only bash proton, but literally bashing Jap cars!! I mean wtf?? I find esppecially those who are driving "Sheer Driving Pleasure" - hint: BM. hahaha they always bash Jap, that continental is the way...Camry or Accord different class blah blah blah...no offense to anyone driving Conti, but to why compare to Japs if its not the same class??

Just a rule of thumb - if you are getting a conti 2nd hand or recon - do set aside at least 5-6K or better still 10 - 15 K (of real disposable income) for repair/major service, rebuilt, top overhaul or engine overhaul....BM drivers have a saying - how much is the bill for your 1st service once you bought a second hand e46...hahaha if its 5K...its not too bad...if its 10K just about that amount...hahahaha..

The same as you buy an RX8, again no offense, i have a friend who bought it, 1st months spend 3K, 2nd month spend 4K and 3rd spend 5K....he sold it in less than 1 year...again it also depends on luck....but if its e46, maybe 8 out of 10, you need to spend big...which is understandable as it is almost 10 years car...just my 1 cents

lan evo

3,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
so the close fren of mine,the one who driving the mk5 gti.having some issue with the car jerking when lift off brake from standstill.

sent to a workshop in ipoh,check few days.then told my fren is gearbox problem.
fren collect the car and sent the car to vw ipoh(goh brothers),after check and diagnose told my fren is clutch problem.
price for clutch rm3900+

after few days,car ready to be collect

bill came out rm4700++ (labour+gear oil)
free replacement of 4 ignition coil under recall

came to think of it,rm4700 is acceptable for me.the price is almost like u change a twin plate clutch.BUT how long will it last?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi bros
I have been browsing volkswagen polo for a while and im very much in love with the car
just a question...any bros here own one ?
mind to share on the maintenance and cost wise?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience