Choosing the perfect Engine Oil

Shell Helix

Oct 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

Most off-the-shelf lubricants are acceptable products to be consumed by your car’s engine. But to extract the most from an engine while maintaining it in a good health in the long run, it is impeccable to feed it with the best lubricant money can buy.

A better oil would also mean that is is better at lubricating the engine’s moving parts, while staying in optimum operational fluidity and with the ability to clean the engine’s internals with active cleansing detergents as well as deterring corrosion,improving sealing and in removing heat from the engine.

There are also important ratings in a particular bottle of oil one should know before attempting to pour it though the engine oil filler. A crucial rating would be the Viscosity index that determines how an engine would perform depending on the rating chosen.

Viscosity
Very simply, Viscosity means how easily a liquid pours or flows. The Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) made this a recognized International standard and depending on the region you liv e in and engine type, acceptable viscosity rating may differ from as low as Zero to as high as 60.

The lower a number in a viscosity rating, the thinner the oil is and the easier it flows. For reference, a 10W-40 rating generally means that it is a multi viscosity oil. The “10W” index refer to how the oil flow at lower temperatures like in a cold winter and ’40” refers to its flow rate at higher temperatures.

Your car’s Owner’s Manual should be able to tell you the recommended Viscosity rating you should use for your car’s engine.

More about Shell Helix Ultra Engine Oil

Attachments

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
Where is the best place to get secured original Shell Helix engine oil???

As fake engine oils is everywhere nowadays...

ah-singh

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2005
Where is the best place to get secured original Shell Helix engine oil???

As fake engine oils is everywhere nowadays...

bro,

I normally get my Shell Engine oils in the Shell petrol stations.. Thats the only place you can get the original stuff...i hope...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
the thinner the oil is and the easier it flows
the thinner the oil, the easier it flows, but that also means if its too thin, it can lose its lubricating capability when too hot and cause more wear.

how low is low is where im a bit unsure... vehicles in malaysia who dont have winter, can use 0w oils right?

based on our temperature ,your oil temp should be no more than 120C or 250F, meaning example 5w-40 or 10w-40 oils should be more than sufficient to run our cars? so why do we go for fully synthetic or oils that has 15w-50 ? when we are barely reaching that temp? and only reducing the oil flow in our engine?

any sifus can advice..still quite unsure about all this.

Waiyuan Kooi

From Facebook
Nov 15, 2011
www.facebook.com
about want to get 100% original shell engine oil u can go to petrol station, they are supply by direct shell.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

about AD_EG question.
the thinner the oil, the easier it flows, but that also means if its too thin, it can lose its lubricating capability when too hot and cause more wear.
i got abit want to explain about this. Alot of ppl is thinking low visco oil will cause more wear, that is wrong.
U can see alot of racing oil also is low visco like 0w20, like the famous racing oil - motul, they also got alot of low vis racing oil.
So all i want to tell is WEAR is not about visocity, wear protection is from addictive & not from visco. and i have a friend just get a new kia forte, the lowest visco is OEM book is 5w20, that is the thing.
i am not good to reply by word. So i think will be abit confusing.. lol

Last edited:

carent9

Known Member
Dec 30, 2009
Selangor
Boss...what is the best viscosity for 4G93P engine...road use n sometime "weekend"...
I would recommend 10w/40 or 5w/50.. Should be good.. this is what I am using. My slightly tuned car cannot take 5w/40.. need to top up oil most of the time...

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
What will be the best engine oil grade for 4g63t?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yo all sifu,
I would like to ask y'all about...
is really LSD gear need to use specified gear oil like 'indication' of different brand...
What I'm trying to ask is...can LSD g/b use normal gear oil???

Thanks for viewing & reply!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience