Toyota Harrier Headlamp Restore

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
This is my first head lamps restoration. After seeing so many notable works i.e. from KC, Josh, Fishbonez... And since I have everything needed, I thought oh well, let's give it a try! This nice car belongs to my gf's dad.

As usual with most JDM and UDM imports, the headlmaps get yellowish, micro cracks and blurrish due to our relentless tropical sun blasting UV rays. This not only makes the car looks old and unattractive, but when driving at night, will reduce light output on the road and cause dangerous glare to oncoming traffic due the the scattered beam.

Let the pictures do the talking....

Look at the hazy colour of the headlamp housing... When zoomed in, it actually consist of many micro-cracks.

From the top to the middle is most obvious due to the fact that this part is being impacted by the sun most of the time.

Hazy...

Close up... If you can see the micro cracks... Camera limitation.

I resorted to compound with wool pad and OHC. Tada! People say "Wow"... Not just yet! When I zoom in...

This is not the effect I am looking for. The micro cracks are beyond where it can be rescued by compounding. I have resorted to wet sanding...

Start with 800 grit. Wet sanded with plenty of ONR Lube... For the lack of an electric sander, I hand sanded this down. It ended up in a uniform hazy texture like this...

Then proceeded to 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then at last 2000 grit. Look at the sky's colour... Wet sanding itself took about 3.5 hours for both sides... Did it super slow and gentle as I did not want to risk anything.

After sanding, I washed with ONR and clayed to remove any sanding residue. Compounding starts... So kind of my gf to take a picture of her bf while working. Trust me, it is really not nice to work under a halogen lamp blasting heat at you... Optimum Hyper Compound on 3" wool pad. Speed 1 - 2.5 - 1 on rotary.

Polished and finished with Optimum Hyper Polish on 3" Lake Country CCS black Finishing Pad. Speed 1 - 2.5 - 1 on rotary.

Headlamps then washed with Optimum Power Clean to remove any polishing residue and then sealed with Opti-Seal for that long lasting protection! There you go...

A close up... This is what I am looking for... Micro cracks removed...

Haziness gone. Clarity restored again... Factory condition restored as on it's first day out from Toyota's factory. Of course, given more time, I would love to spend more time on finishing and make it better. But given the time constraint, I am quite pleased with this.

Some quick before-after pics for comparison...

Just did a quick inspection on the paint. I am shocked to find swirl free condition. The owner loves his car thus wash and wax frequently. Just a minor enhancement will do to give it that sharpness. But that will be another time.

Treatment for the day:
- Wash with ONR
- Wet sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit with "plenty" of ONR as lube
- Clayed with ONR as lube
- Compound with Optimum Hyper Compound on 3" wool pad. Speed 1 - 2.5 - 1.
- Polished and finished with Optimum Hyper Polish on 3" Lake Country CCS black finishing pad. Speed 1 - 2.5 - 1.
- Washed with Optimum Power Clean
- Sealed and protected with Opti-Seal

How much is a set of original Harrier headlamps?
- RM 3+ k

What it takes to restore your original headlamps?
- 6 hours
- A sore arm.
Satisfaction = priceless

Thank you for viewing another detailing journey...

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
damn! the halogen modded to hybrid!

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
How much is a set of original Harrier headlamps?
- RM 3+ k

What it takes to restore your original headlamps?
- 6 hours
- A sore arm.
Satisfaction = priceless

Thank you for viewing another detailing journey...
Congrats & well done
What a transformation!!! You are a daring son of a gun

I was suspicious when you text me yesterday....this is the way to be successful - taking risk & doing things no one does...this is the results - ta da

congrats.....cant wait to see u in those exotics & super cars soon

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
damn! the halogen modded to hybrid!
Haha... Sent it to electrical shop to mod. 2 Switch. I didn't want to work under the halogen's heat at all times. But after all, I think I only used the halogens because of its unmatched visibility. XD

Congrats & well done

I was suspicious when you text me yesterday....this is the way to be successful - taking risk & doing things no one does...this is the results - ta da

Thank you KC and Josh... For your advice and teaching... Without you guys support, I wouldn't have gotten these knowledge... I am not very satisfied with this. Will do better next time...

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Congrats & well done

haha kc he messaged me too i was shock that he was about to wet sand headlights for the first time too. hahaha luckily our advice helped veloc smoothly run tru the whole correction haha

Haha... Sent it to electrical shop to mod. 2 Switch. I didn't want to work under the halogen's heat at all times. But after all, I think I only used the halogens because of its unmatched visibility. XD

Thank you KC and Josh... For your advice and teaching... Without you guys support, I wouldn't have gotten these knowledge... I am not very satisfied with this. Will do better next time...
No problem veloc, u can call me anytime, just now wee hours. but its not like u r going to detail at 3am right? i know i did once lol...STILL NOT SATISFIED!? eh bro, actually detailing is not about 100% restoration la. the stage u did already very very nice. invfact nicer than some of my previous ones

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I didn't quite feel it yesterday. But today my arms are killing me T.T
Next I am planning to invest in an ROB for sanding...

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
lol ROB for sanding if u can find good sanding disc which are high grid lo

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi bro, Veloc. Congrats on yet another good detailing work. You really got balls to sand down so much! Also happen to restore my cars headlamps last week. Instead of hand sanding, I experimented with Osren velvet pads and Optimum Compound II with my Bosch GPO12CE RB. There were still some deep RIDS, micro cracks and etch which I did not want to do any further correction - was satisfied with the outcome and did not want to risk further thinning of the plastic. Final coat with Opti-coat 2.0 to protect it. Too bad don't have anyone to take picture of me doing it unlike you :biggrin:

Just be careful if you get a electrical ROB to avoid getting electrocuted if you wet sand!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hi bro, Veloc. Congrats on yet another good detailing work. You really got balls to sand down so much! Also happen to restore my cars headlamps last week. Instead of hand sanding, I experimented with Osren velvet pads and Optimum Compound II with my Bosch GPO12CE RB. There were still some deep RIDS, micro cracks and etch which I did not want to do any further correction - was satisfied with the outcome and did not want to risk further thinning of the plastic. Final coat with Opti-coat 2.0 to protect it. Too bad don't have anyone to take picture of me doing it unlike you :biggrin:

Just be careful if you get a electrical ROB to avoid getting electrocuted if you wet sand!
eohl79... Actually I didn't sand down too much. That's why I said in the post that there is still room for improvement. If one zoomed close enough, and sine with an LED, still can see fine cracks. But I thought that it is not worth it to cut it to that level. Or else a small stone that hit it will surely crack it.

But to my surprise, after I've finished it, I observed that the Harrier's headlamp housing is quite thick! I think there is enough material left for another detail!

good job veloc...yr gf's dad can give u green light edi to marry his daughter haha...
Danz... If like that, I'll go detail more of other girl's dad's car. Don't mind if it's for free. :biggrin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
hey veloc, great job. i learned 2 thing by reading this thread.

1st, how to restore your headlamps.

2nd and most importantly, how to impress your girl's dad.

good job. killing two birds with one stone.

muyo

Known Member
Jan 27, 2010
Petaling Jaya
well done veloc. very nice write up and restore :top: you can do less than 3hours, give your self more practice! see you soon!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all Master

i need help anyone can intro a Good Sifu to me for repair my 4g92, around klang vally

thanks a lot:burnout:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience