How to improve braking performance (semi-DIY)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
nice write up. valuable info with great pics.

i would like to share what a mechanic told me once about brakes. he went like this "Jangan bawa sampai 180kmh. 160kmh ok lagi. 180kmh ada kereta masuk u punya jalan, apa l**c*u brake u pakai pun, mesti tak boleh berhenti, mesti hantam itu kereta".

lol.. pardon me for the language. those were his exact words. what u think about it? i never experienced it and never want to experience it. anyone mind to share ur experiences on what he said?
cars on the Autobahn does speeds in excess of 200km like eating rice. my buddy's 330 does 260km/h day in day out (i sat in it), and other cars on the bahn does >200km speeds. my buddy is still alive.

the problem in Malaysia is not speed, its driving etiquette (or lack thereof). remember, speed doesn't kill, sudden stops kill.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
nice write up. valuable info with great pics.

i would like to share what a mechanic told me once about brakes. he went like this "Jangan bawa sampai 180kmh. 160kmh ok lagi. 180kmh ada kereta masuk u punya jalan, apa l**c*u brake u pakai pun, mesti tak boleh berhenti, mesti hantam itu kereta".

lol.. pardon me for the language. those were his exact words. what u think about it? i never experienced it and never want to experience it. anyone mind to share ur experiences on what he said?
Well, if you have crap tyres, 30km/h will also kill you. My previous MY01 got me into so much trouble it's not funny. On the other hand my current AD07's saved my bacon.

Can't wait any longer for part 2.
You know what? I lost the pictures of the brake bleeding. Gonna have to improvise.

izso... its bawah pokok... not bawak pokok when translated literally means u bring a tree... LoL
nice write up tho....
LOL!! Thanks. I failed malay in school... and I failed really badly.

I need to point out that a ratchet is not the best tool to loosen a big bolt such as those for the caliper bracket. A ring spanner plus a hammer (or your strong palm) is the best way to loosen them, and unscrew them with your two fingers. Use ratchet only if they are hard to be unscrewed out after being loosen up.
Good point. I used a fixed length tool to loosen the bolt but used the ratchet to remove it, which was when I took the picture.

keegs

Oct 15, 2010
Miri/ Sarawak
Well, if you have crap tyres, 30km/h will also kill you. My previous MY01 got me into so much trouble it's not funny. On the other hand my current AD07's saved my bacon.
Cool write up. I agree with that. I was wondering how's the grip of the Neova(s) on wet road? Am thinking on which tyres to get next for my 15inchers.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Cool write up. I agree with that. I was wondering how's the grip of the Neova(s) on wet road? Am thinking on which tyres to get next for my 15inchers.
You can't get AD07 anymore. Mine was one of the last batch of 14" tyres.

Grip wise? I can't get the ABS to activate no matter how hard I try cuz the tyres just grips forever. It's so sticky it affects my FC... LOL

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
for better braking performance is use high performance brake pad,high brake oil,stell braking lining hose,and bigger pot or double it(from single to twin)with bigger rotor disc brake drill hose or line cut...(better buy original one,not self drill as i know it cant or not good enough to stop at high speed)
anyway,thank for sharing ur great info about improve brake performance bro.cant wait what in next post

keegs

Oct 15, 2010
Miri/ Sarawak
You can't get AD07 anymore. Mine was one of the last batch of 14" tyres.

Grip wise? I can't get the ABS to activate no matter how hard I try cuz the tyres just grips forever. It's so sticky it affects my FC... LOL
I see, now i remember...AD08 is the replacement. Cool, coz I've been looking for a good set of tyres. My concerns are on wet road grip. Need speed and grip in the wet...haha.

Any plans to install steel-braided hoses?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Re: How to improve braking performance (semi-DIY) part #1

I see, now i remember...AD08 is the replacement. Cool, coz I've been looking for a good set of tyres. My concerns are on wet road grip. Need speed and grip in the wet...haha.

Any plans to install steel-braided hoses?
Plenty of good wet road grip tyres out there. Michelin PS3, Eagle F1, etc.

And yes - steel braided hoses is in tow! As I mentioned in the opening paragraph la.

Poor Tenaga box :D
SSsssssShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :flute:

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

for better braking performance is use high performance brake pad,high brake oil,stell braking lining hose,and bigger pot or double it(from single to twin)with bigger rotor disc brake drill hose or line cut...(better buy original one,not self drill as i know it cant or not good enough to stop at high speed)
anyway,thank for sharing ur great info about improve brake performance bro.cant wait what in next post
There's some debate about changing to high performance brake pads and changing to twin pot calipers.

Depending on what you mean by "high performance", RS makes 900 degree "high performance" brake pads. These pads work wonders on the track but most likely be useless on the street since most "performance pads" need warming up before they start to grip. But if you take a EBC Ultimax "high performance" pad and compare with my lowly Bosch pads, then of course the EBC Ultimax is better.

And changing to twin pot usually should be followed with changing the brake servo and not forgetting the proportioning valve, otherwise you might get the "on-off" brake effect with the twin pots.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Coefficient of Friction is best use to describe the braking efficiency. For a brake to work efficiently we have to look at it from a bigger picture. A few things that governs the efficiency of a brake.
Types of rotors & size, pads, hose, fluid, caliper size and pump force...etc...etc..

As discussed by all the guys, Brake uses friction to stop a moving object and hydraulic pressure with the help of vacuum servo is the medium to create friction in a brake system. The higher the pressure, the higher the friction. The higher the friction then it will create more heat, choosing the right temperature of pads to use there for its important as some high performance pads will have high temp rating but it will not work on normal daily drive because the pads material needs to get up to operating temperature to work efficiently.

Having said the above, for a brake to work efficiently we also need to know how to transfer the brake pressure efficiently. Does the brake pistons get all the brake pressure it supposed to get? Brake pressure can be lost in the transfer process due to heat and expansion.

Then, there's the road condition, tire's condition...which also contribute to braking efficiency. Even with a 4 or 6 pot...you still won't have a good braking efficiency on ice is you are not using winter tires...

So choose your pads & rotors depending on your usage...

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Nicely done...with pictures too...:adore:

Just to add some info...

For Safety reason ,Make sure use a jack stand...don't just leave your car on car jack, or at least put the tire below your car frame...and do pull the handbrake...small changes, big different...safety first...

Once done with the installation...do a Brake Bed-in for maximum grip.

Happy DIY ! :driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nicely done...with pictures too...:adore:

Just to add some info...

For Safety reason ,Make sure use a jack stand...don't just leave your car on car jack, or at least put the tire below your car frame...and do pull the handbrake...small changes, big different...safety first...

Once done with the installation...do a Brake Bed-in for maximum grip.

Happy DIY ! :driver:
Yeah.. the bead-in process is part of #2 but I lost my photos so gonna have to re-take some photos to compensate.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi bro, my wife myvi brake is operate abnormally. I have to pump the brake until felt the brake bit. Then, when I put my feet on the pedal for a long time, the pedal start to go floor, same as when sudden braking. The pedal will straightly went to floor.

What wrong with the brake? I've bed-in the brake before but problem still occurred.
Please advice

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
me2kimi, There's probably a pressure leak in the brake system. You need to pump the brakes a few times because there's not enough pressure in the lines.

For the pedal went straight to the floor you might have a leaking vacuum servo or a master cylinder problem. IF its the master cylinder problem the piston's oil seal inside the master cylinder is causing the problem.

If you felt that you have a spongy brake pedal. It might be the brakes are not bleed properly and there's air inside the brake lines. Also do change the brake fluid on time as DOT5 below brake fluid will absorb water over time and causing the fluid to work badly.

Hope it helps

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Bro TitanRev, I just check with vacuum gauge. I got 18 in.Hg at idle. I think it is good reading for vacuum.
And the brake can function perfectly at park position.
When this problem occured, I notice that cap oil seal for brake fluid putus already. Then changed it from hulf cut shop but with fifferent type seal. Does this cap play major role in brake operation?