Autobahn Experience Part 3 : The Autobahn and the countryside

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

So I wake up early from my hotel room (Well, not so early at 9.30AM I had a long night the other day) I enjoyed my morning breakfast buffet at Copthorne, they served mainly German food such as bratwurst (german sausage), ham, bacon, smoked salmon and various choices. Pretty nice food coming from a 4 1/2 star hotel I would say and at 18 Euros, its not that bad at all! (Dollar to dollar comparison)

So I walked towards the parking garage and found the Avant (wagon) version of the Audi A4 parked right next to me. Both have similar front ends and the only thing that differentiates it is a longer back compared to the sedan. I would have rented the Avant, but it just wouldn't look cool to me to be driving that around. I would look like a family man, no doubt!

So this is the 1.8 litre powerplant in my Audi A4 that provides 160PS and 250Nm in total, propelling the car from 0-100 km/h in 8.6 seconds. Not a very fast accelerating car, but it does its job of delivering a top speed of up to 230 km/h, thanks to its taller gear ratios.

Autobahn Experience at Autobahn A37 to A7, Hannover South Direction in an Audi A4 1.8 TFSI - YouTube

So I headed out to the Autobahn and wanted to head south to look for places to go about. I was hoping to drive towards the Marienburg castle, located about 30 kilometres away, but unfortunately I failed to locate it with the GPS. I managed to hit a top speed of 230 km/h with the Audi A4, which is pretty impressive, considering that a rental car in Germany would have its speed limiter locked at 250 km/h. I must admit, the roads in Germany are pretty flat and smooth in contrast to our ever so bumpy and pot-hole riddled roads in Malaysia. I wish our government would pay more attention on how the road is paved, even the roads in the North South Highway are a pale comparison!

After some failed attempts in locating the castle, I decided to drive back towards Hannover using the trunk roads. I made a U-turn towards Hannover when I engaged the GPS to the designated location. It was definitely not hard to fiddle around with the GPS and less than a minute later, I have my bearings.

Hannover Countryside drive in Audi A4 1.8 TFSI - YouTube

The countryside roads are just awesome. The weather was good and the views were just breathtaking. I haven't had such a good drive around since my last drive in Melbourne, Australia during my university days, where I took my first car, a 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8 GLXi sedan for a spin round the Great Ocean Road. Though with a lower speed limit at 70 km/h, it was still very much a nice place to drive around.

Hannover Countryside drive in Audi A4 1.8 TFSI 2 - YouTube

The roads just get better everytime. The large fields in the background make it so enjoying to drive. It would have been better if I rented a convertible, but my budget would simply not permit it.

The beautiful German countryside

Hannover Forest Drive in an Audi A4 1.8 TFSI - YouTube

I went through some greeneries and some twisty roads. Although I am tempted to tackle the corners and go fast on it, I simply told myself to stay disciplined, so I do not have to deal with the Polizei.

I passed by small towns and villages along the road. Even though these were villages, everything in Germany looks neat and clean, in contrast to what we usually see in our kampungs. This is what I call proper township maintenance and planning! I definitely enjoyed the countryside view.

I passed by some strange traffic structures. It was just baffling to see a traffic light, built for a tiny bridge crossing. I wondered that wouldn't it be more easier to just widen the bridge and make it more passable to both traffic? Or I guess the bridge has significant historical value to it, so they rather leave it as it is. Only the locals would have the answer.

Trunk road to Hannover City - YouTube

I made my journey back to Hannover city, where I had to meet up a friend at the Hauptbahnhof. Overall I must say, the experience has been rewarding. Not much people get to drive in Germany, especially the cost of being there is pretty expensive.I have saved up well over a year to actually experience all this. I must thank my parents being so supportive of my trip and friends in Germany who has showed me around. I hope that you get to fly to Germany and be a part of the Autobahn experience. Thank you for reading! Enjoy the other pictures of sight and scenes around Hannover.

Look at the fuel costs! 1.569 Euros per litre! Gulp, half a tank cost me 41.80 Euros, thats about RM200!

Dodge Challenger? What's this doing in Germany

A German town

A German hamlet

Hannover State Museum

Beautiful park in the summer opposite the museum, people were just laying down and making out!

I'm not so far from home! Courtesy of the museum

Hannover Cityhall

Hannover University

Attachments

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Last year I had the opportunity to detail this church van, as prepared her to transport VIPs, but a year later.... but the interior need to be detail….. exterior still looks great ..thanks to the Transportation team

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com/2009/08/polishing-van.html

Reason being heavily used for transportation & so huge to look after....

Reason being fequently used & so large to care for...i have fequents...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience